Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel puller?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freewheel puller?

Old 08-03-04, 10:12 AM
*new*guy
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freewheel puller?

I'm having a hard time sourcing (from LBS's) the proper BMX style freewheel puller I need to get the freewheel off a hub. The proper tool is Park's FR-6... Any of you full time wrenchers know of another way to get such a freewheel off the hub?

thanks
Old 08-03-04, 11:06 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What's the problem getting the tool? The LBS should be able to order one if they don't hae it in stock. Otherwise, call around and you should be able to find one pretty easily. If not, then order it from nashbar, performance, etc.

If you can't find it and just need to pull the freewheel once, take the wheel to the LBS and ask them to break it loose for you. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to do it. They certainly should have the tool back in the shop. You don't need a tool to reinstall the freewheel. Just thread it on by hand. It'll tighten up when you pedal.
Old 08-03-04, 12:22 PM
*new*guy
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
What's the problem getting the tool? The LBS should be able to order one if they don't hae it in stock. Otherwise, call around and you should be able to find one pretty easily. If not, then order it from nashbar, performance, etc.

If you can't find it and just need to pull the freewheel once, take the wheel to the LBS and ask them to break it loose for you. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to do it. They certainly should have the tool back in the shop. You don't need a tool to reinstall the freewheel. Just thread it on by hand. It'll tighten up when you pedal.
Right on.. was just being impatient; trying to eliminate an annoying tick
Old 08-03-04, 10:10 PM
BMXTRIX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also pick up a freewheel remover in any version you need at www.danscomp.com

I don't mind paying a bike shop to do it once if I'm in a rush, but when I can buy the tool I need for 10 bucks, I would rather just always have it available.