Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anybody familiar with the Gmc Denali road bikes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-03-09, 09:42 PM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive seriously looked everywhere for innertubes and cannot find ones that fit.
what size do i need? some guy gave me a presta valve tube which did not even help. i was surprised he didnt ask the size of my wheels. anywho its getting frustrating and if you have links even that would be great. thanks!
Old 12-03-09, 09:59 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
They are 28-32mm shcreader 48mm+ tubes. I suggest you getting presta tubes with an adapter. It will be hard finding the needed shreader tube with those specs. I doubt many LBS would stock such a tube.
Old 12-03-09, 10:02 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Did you look at Target or Walmart? They sell Denali bikes. Most of those grades of bikes will use Shraeder tubes.
Old 12-03-09, 10:09 PM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will give it a go thanks guys!
Old 12-03-09, 10:11 PM
sweatforfun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Diameter- printed on side of tire. typical road dia is 700c. tubes for 27' are generally the same as 700c.
2. Width- printed on the side of the tire. its a range. if your tire says 700c-25. you want the box that may read 700c- 23-28.
3. Valve type- presta or schrader.
4. Valve length- presta valves come in different lengths. 4o-50mm range is medium/long. if your not sure, longer is better. the deeper your rim the longer the valve must be.

if you are having trouble getting the tube into the tire without folding over itself, try putting a small amount of air in. enough to give it a tubular shape and lose the flattened, just in a box, shape.
Old 12-03-09, 10:14 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by sweatforfun
1. Diameter- printed on side of tire. typical road dia is 700c. tubes for 27' are generally the same as 700c.
2. Width- printed on the side of the tire. its a range. if your tire says 700c-25. you want the box that may read 700c- 23-28.
3. Valve type- presta or schrader.
4. Valve length- presta valves come in different lengths. 4o-50mm range is medium/long. if your not sure, longer is better. the deeper your rim the longer the valve must be.

if you are having trouble getting the tube into the tire without folding over itself, try putting a small amount of air in. enough to give it a tubular shape and lose the flattened, just in a box, shape.
This is irrelevant.

We know exactly what tube is needed for that bike and the availability of such tubes.
Old 12-03-09, 10:14 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
They are 28-32mm shcreader 48mm+ tubes. I suggest you getting presta tubes with an adapter. It will be hard finding the needed shreader tube with those specs. I doubt many LBS would stock such a tube.

I have very similar deep dish rims on my bike, and the standard schrader works fine. I can post pics to prove it.

All you have to do is inflate the tube slightly more than you normally would while installing the tire. Then press in directly at the valve on the tire to get your pump to fit the valve. Then pump it to the desired pressure.

I had no idea the standard schrader was this short..until I tried to install the SOB. It took me awhile to figure out how to get it to work...but if you follow my instructions the tube will fit.
Old 12-03-09, 10:15 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by crazyed27
I have very similar deep dish rims on my bike, and the standard schrader works fine. I can post pics to prove it.

All you have to do is inflate the tube slightly more than you normally would while installing the tire. Then press in directly at the valve on the tire to get your pump to fit the valve. Then pump it to the desired pressure.

I had no idea the standard schrader was this short..until I tried to install the SOB. It took me awhile to figure out how to get it to work...but if you follow my instructions the tube will fit.
No ****.

That's not the proper valve length tube. You may be able to inflated it with some pumps and unable to do so for others. It is the incorrect valve length you are running. It doesn't mean jack**** that YOU can pump it up.
Old 12-03-09, 10:19 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 700c x 28 tires and ues the 23c tubes.
Old 12-03-09, 10:23 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ****.

That's not the proper valve length tube. You may be able to inflated it with some pumps and unable to do so for others. It is the incorrect valve length you are running. It doesn't mean jack**** that YOU can pump it up.

500 miles on the tubes don't mean jack (Also one with a patch because of glass on a wet ride)???? I've had no problems.

So what problems should I encounter if I do get my tubes to air up to the desired pressure..I am just curious? What hazard am I subjecting myself to?
Old 12-03-09, 10:37 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the first pic is the standard length schrader valve on the same size deep dish rims you have. I have over 500 miles on this set up, no problems.

The second pic is the long schrader valve...both work for me...just saying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0319.jpg (28.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN0322.jpg (32.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 12-03-09, 10:52 PM
operator
cab horn

In the first pic is the standard length schrader valve on the same size deep dish rims you have. I have over 500 miles on this set up, no problems.

The second pic is the long schrader valve...both work for me...just saying.
Rofl.

You just proved you don't know what the proper valve length tube for a rim is. Pic #1. GG
Old 12-03-09, 11:05 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rofl.

You just proved you don't know what the proper valve length tube for a rim is. Pic #1. GG

Who gives a damn when it works and is functional??? I guess you'd laugh at all my other save money (rig it up) jobs around the house and car???? I really I could give a rats azz!
Old 12-03-09, 11:07 PM
operator
cab horn

Who gives a damn when it works and is functional??? I guess you'd laugh at all my other save money (rig it up) jobs around the house and car???? I really I could give a rats azz!
Lmao
Old 12-03-09, 11:17 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lmao

Get up off the floor from laughing so hard and answer this question.

So what problems should I encounter if I do get my tubes to air up to the desired pressure..I am just curious? What hazard am I subjecting myself to?
Old 12-03-09, 11:35 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts

Looks fine to me. Valve is shorter than optimal, but I've done this as well.
Old 12-04-09, 02:22 AM
mcgreivey
STFD

Bikes: '80 Windsor Carrera Sport, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1, '10 Giant Escape 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm with Yan.
Old 12-04-09, 02:42 AM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgreivey
I'm with Yan.

Thank You....and Yan too!!! It is possible!!!!
Old 12-04-09, 02:59 AM
remo123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya actually The GMC Denali 700C 21-Speed Road Bike is built around a lightweight aluminum road bike frame. You'll stop on a dime with the alloy calipers and brake levers, and the high-profile alloy Vitesse racing rims look as good as they perform.thanks for sharing

Last edited by remo123; 12-04-09 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 03:11 AM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by remo123
ya actually The GMC Denali 700C 21-Speed Road Bike is built around a lightweight aluminum road bike frame. You'll stop on a dime with the alloy calipers and brake levers, and the high-profile alloy Vitesse racing rims look as good as they perform.thanks for sharing
Uh sweet, could you show me where this question was asked? We were talking about inner tubes, that said:

ya actually the Cheng Shin innertube is a 700c/27in innertube that is made out of butyl rubber. You'll roll for miles between top offs because butyl rubber doesn't bleed off air as quick as a latex innertube, plus they are black and every body knows that black innertubes look as good as they perform.
Old 12-04-09, 03:26 AM
crazyed27
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowjeep
Uh sweet, could you show me where this question was asked? We were talking about inner tubes, that said:

ya actually the Cheng Shin innertube is a 700c/27in innertube that is made out of butyl rubber. You'll roll for miles between top offs because butyl rubber doesn't bleed off air as quick as a latex innertube, plus they are black and every body knows that black innertubes look as good as they perform.

Black Power!!!!
Old 12-04-09, 08:26 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am pretty sure you need a schraeder valve, 700x18-23 or thereabouts. It may also be listed as 27X1. they are available online. If a pencil can fit through your valve hole in your rim then you need a tube with a schraeder (not presta) valve.

I believe if you have the stock 23mm tires you will have not much luck installing a 28mm tube.

The 27 in tubes are only eight mm larger than 700c so they just make one tube for both sizes. You do need to get the width correct or you will have an impossible time installing the tube. go for 27x1 or 700x23 or narrower. That's unless you install bigger tires as well.

Try online if you don't find it at walmart. Nashbar should have them. also, there are lots of affordable, 700x23 flatproof tires like the nashbar prima or the performancebike.com Forte kevlar.

I highly doubt they would create a mass market bike like the denali and then equip it with wheels which required a special, extra long schraeder. You may have to hold the valvestem out of the rim by pushing on the tread under the valve with your finger until you have attached the pump.

Last edited by garage sale GT; 12-04-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 08:37 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The big box stores more or less stopped carrying the road bikes and no longer seem to support them. The only road bike size they will have is 27x1-1/4 for older road bikes. It is too wide for 700x23mm road tires. However, the size you need is not rare though you may have to go online or have a bike shop order them. don't get a tube wider than your tire or you won't get it in the tire easily.
Old 12-04-09, 08:43 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
I am pretty sure you need a schraeder valve, 700x18-23 or thereabouts.........
I highly doubt they would create a mass market bike like the denali and then equip it with wheels which required a special, extra long schraeder.
The stock tires on the bike are 700 x 28c, and the bike is equipped with long stem shraeder valves because the rims are a bit deep. I know this because, unfortunately, we see these bikes pretty regularly in my bike shop. There are a lot of them out there, and they need replacement tubes like anything else. At least a couple, maybe all, of the major bicycle parts and accessories wholesalers now offer long stem schraeder tubes suitable for 700 x 28c tires. We stock them. To the OP, look around at bike shops or if they don't stock them ask them to order you a few tubes on their next tube order if they wouldn't mind doing that-
Old 12-04-09, 08:55 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The main point I want to make is that the big box stores don't stock these road bikes as often anymore, and don't seem to ever have 700c tires or tubes. However, they're far from rare and any bike shop or online retailer ought to have them. Maybe even in the long stem version. Or maybe use the stock finder feature on walmart.com to see local stores which have the tubes in stock.

I guess I was thinking of the new Varsity with 23mm tires. A 700X28C should be good for tubes marked 27x1-1/8. Not tires though.

Two of the posters above (yan & crazyed27) seemed to show that standard schraeders work too. I bet gmc/kent want to keep it simple for the user and not require a special tactic like pushing the tire tread under the valvestem to keep the top of the valve above the rim until the pump is attached.

Last edited by garage sale GT; 12-04-09 at 09:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.