Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

cross brake levers for easton ea30 handlebars?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 05:57 PM
moose8

Bikes: Surly 1X1 Rat Ride (Anniversary Edition), Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30, Ciocc, Ted Wojcik Mtb, Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions? They've got the weird flat part on the top of the bars so when I took it to the bike shop they couldn't get their in-stock ones on it and said that I may need to replace the handlebars - I figured I would check to see if there are any cheaper options. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-10, 05:10 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Forget about the Cross brakes, if you dont use that part of the bar much. I am on the hoods (or just behind) 70%, 25% on the drops. I havent had occasion to suddenly need to brake when I have been resting my hands on the straight section of the bar.
Old 02-15-10, 09:14 PM
moose8

Bikes: Surly 1X1 Rat Ride (Anniversary Edition), Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30, Ciocc, Ted Wojcik Mtb, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to add them for city riding, actually - there are lots of bad drivers here in boston and sometimes in the traffic I feel a little better being upright. Plus, it's an excuse to look at bike stuff at night.
Old 02-16-10, 06:03 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Which size did the shop try? There are 31.8, 26.0, and 24.0mm versions. I can understand that the flattened bars would prevent the 24.0 version from fitting, but if the clamping zone for your stem extends a little beyond the stem then either the 31.8 or 26.0mm version may work, depending on whether your bars have an oversized or traditional clamp zone. A picture would help a lot!
Old 02-16-10, 09:34 AM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The shop is right you would need to change to the non wing bar unless you mount the levers right next to the stem. This is my EA70 wing bar which is the same shape as the EA30 wing bar. It flattens (wing) very abrubtly. Easton's bars come in 2 shapes.

Old 02-16-10, 10:48 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
You need the 31.8 cross brakes and they will fit on the bulge in the center of the bar.