Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 12:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Sunday, 5 July - 1.5 km walking (20 min) ... up and down and back and forth in the airport

Monday, 6 July - 2.3 km walking (25 min) ... work commute + lunch walk

Tuesday, 7 July - 2.7 km (30 min) ... work commute + lunch walk

Wednesday, 8 July - 3.3 km (40 min) ... work commute + lunch walk + quick walk to the local grocery store after work

Thursday, 9 July - 3.8 km (45 min) ... work commute + lunch walk + quick walk to the local grocery store after work
Walking

Friday, 10 July - 4.7 km ... commute + lunch walk + allergy appointment

Monday, 13 July - 2.9 km ... commute + lunch walk
Tuesday, 14 July - 4.2 km ... commute + lunch walk
Wednesday, 15 July - 3.6 km ... commute + lunch walk
Thursday, 16 July - 3.1 km ... commute + lunch walk + university walk
Friday, 17 July - 2 km ... commute + lunch walk

Monday, 20 July - 3 km ... commute + lunch walk
Tuesday, 21 July - 2.4 km ... commute + lunch walk
Wednesday, 22 July - 5 km ... commute + lunch walk + university walk
Thursday, 23 July - 3.7 km ... commute + lunch walk
Friday, 24 July - 5 km ... commute + lunch walk + university walk

Up to 577 km walking this year so far.

Plus cycling on the weekends. During the week, I've been cycling on my trainer in our basement while watching the TDF.
Old 07-24-15, 06:07 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Still not riding--I don't think I will this year.

However, I'm taking some good walks in my neighborhood in addition to my rehab sessions three times a week. Yesterday I walked 50 minutes and looked at some of the old architecture and big trees that dominate in my part of town. Most days I walk 60 minutes, but I was feeling fatigued for some reason. In the evening I went with the family to a local park/beach, but mostly took it easy.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-24-15, 07:14 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
You're getting in some good rides!
I did another 60 miles on Wednesday.

There's that old forum joke about only driving 20 mph, after riding a lot. I was actually doing it yesterday.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 07-24-15 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-15, 01:30 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I walked for about 60 minutes today--slowly because it was very hot and humid. My grandson and I walked downtown to the outdoor classic car show and had subs at Jimmy Johns.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-28-15, 11:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Of course I'm walking every day during the week as usual, but yesterday I did an unscheduled 6 km walk which included a brisk trot to the uni and back to work. I had accidentally left something there on Friday, and unfortunately, it appears to be gone.

And today was my usual 5 km walk to include my uni class and work.
Old 07-29-15, 07:15 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Have been riding and strolling in the upper peninsula of Michigan this week and will be here for a few more weeks... Enjoying the woods, the big lake, and the beaches and am at the base of the Porcupine Mountains so there is some great cycling to be had too.
Old 07-29-15, 07:34 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Have been riding and strolling in the upper peninsula of Michigan this week and will be here for a few more weeks... Enjoying the woods, the big lake, and the beaches and am at the base of the Porcupine Mountains so there is some great cycling to be had too.
I am so jealous! If you get to the eastern part of th UP, check out Deer Lake State Park: small lake, Big Lake, sand dunes, forest, miles of isolated beach, bears and mooses.

Attached Images

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-29-15, 08:15 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Roody, you live in a beautiful state.

We are 300 feet from that big lake, until today it has been as calm as can be and as warm as anyone here can remember and some of our friends have been here for almost 70 years.

For me it feels like home, those Yoopers share a similar heritage and history to my own and some are also Sami, albeit from Finland instead of Sweden.
Old 07-29-15, 04:17 PM
Drv1913
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been so hot and miserable here that I have only been riding my bike for short, efficient, and generally uninteresting rides to and from the bus stop (3 miles each way) to go downtown to run errands. I see the usual dogs, cats, squirrels, and geese, but that's about it. Since these are just errand runs, I'm generally wearing a t-shirt, cargo skirt, and a grim expression as I try to slog through a wall of humidity.

I also rode the local greenway with my mother this past weekend, but other than spotting an indigo bunting, there was nothing remarkable about that ride, although we did enjoy ourselves.
Old 07-30-15, 07:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've had a couple bigger walking weeks ... more km ... the last couple weeks. That's what happens when I go back to school again ... lots of walking between uni and work. I could take the bus, but really, why bother.

24.1 km last week, and I'm up to 23 km this week.

I'm also up to 605 km for the year so far.

Oh, and today, the lifts weren't working ... so it was a 5-flight hike to get to my floor. Fortunately I've been trying to do that more often anyway, so it wasn't too bad.

Last edited by Machka; 07-30-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-30-15, 08:09 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've had a couple bigger walking weeks ... more km ... the last couple weeks. That's what happens when I go back to school again ... lots of walking between uni and work. I could take the bus, but really, why bother.

24.1 km last week, and I'm up to 23 km this week.

I'm also up to 605 km for the year so far.

Oh, and today, the lifts weren't working ... so it was a 5-flight hike to get to my floor. Fortunately I've been trying to do that more often anyway, so it wasn't too bad.
Congratulations on the consistent mileage.

I did a 5 flight climb last night as well. I was at a meeting of the local Unity Users on the top floor of the library when the library pulled a fire drill. After we were allowed to return, I walked up the stairs to avoid the traffic jam in the elevators.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-31-15, 07:45 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I'm finally getting to where I can take longer walks for more variety and fun. Yesterday I walked downtown to the credit union. After a little heat wave, the weather was back to our usual summer fare--83 degrees, sunny, with a good breeze and low humidity.

There was a huge farmers market at the lawn of the state capitol building--more like a fair really. I carefully inspected all the vendors (over 100) and ate a lot of free samples, which don't count on my diet.

I also asked a vendor for the best peach she had, and she handed over the best peach I ever ate. I will never eat a peach again! I have reached the pinnacle of peachiness, and any other peach from now on would only be a disappointment.

I really had a good time. When you're sick, you're never really left alone, so having some me time alone is especially precious right now. And I was doubly happy because, for me, a well-run farmers market is like heaven on earth!

And so, with peach juice dripping off my elbows, I finally walked back home.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-02-15, 05:05 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Walked 6.6 miles in one go yesterday (home-QT-Wally World-home) and that almost doubled the total for the week . Not long after leaving WM, someone pulled over and offered me a lift because they were "concerned about my well being". I didn't know them, I'm trying to lose weight, and it really wasn't that hot and I had a breeze at my back, so I waved them on.

Not the first time this year that someone has gotten my attention and offered me rides while I've been walking- and I haven't even been using my cane!
Old 08-03-15, 06:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

We had a hot weekend for this part of the country. The high temp hit 90 degrees for the first time since 2013. At least there were nice breezes. I walked downtown and watched some bike races for a while on Saturday. The riders were struggling a bit with the wind, but seemed to enjoy racing for $25 cash prizes. On Sunday I walked for about 90 minutes. My pace is very slow but I'm getting toughened up to where my feet don't hurt as much. We had storms last night as a cold front went through. High temps this week are supposed to be about 15 degrees cooler than last week. Yeah!!!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-03-15, 06:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Only a very short walk today. We were snowed in ... roads closed ... no work. First time in 29 years there has been snow down to sea level here.
Old 08-03-15, 06:57 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Only a very short walk today. We were snowed in ... roads closed ... no work. First time in 29 years there has been snow down to sea level here.
You didn't post any pics, so I'm picking up the slack. This looks similar to a scene you have posted here:

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-03-15, 07:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
You didn't post any pics, so I'm picking up the slack. This looks similar to a scene you have posted here:

That was taken in South Hobart ... in the city. You can see the Tasman Bridge way off to the left. But yes ... first time in 29 years Hobart has seen snow like that.

Mine are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...57656134580589

Our garden path ...

Our house, with snow on the roof, and the snowy hill in the distance ...

Our house, and snow-covered yard ...

We didn't get a lot of snow, but getting any snow at all down at 50 metres above sea level there is a very rare occurrence. At higher elevations, there was a lot more snow.
Old 08-03-15, 09:32 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Yesterday (Sunday) 104 miles. I should have kept going. Not tired. Too late now. Mostly southern Mass. Two miles walking today with the dog. On the grass next to the bike path. Then I can see some of my friends, and interesting bikes ride by.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Roubaix 104 M 8-2-15 (3).jpg (62.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-04-15, 09:46 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Spotted a "for rent" sign on the way home with the family, so I backtracked on foot to check it out and ended up logging 1.76 miles.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a fitbit or other pedometer that can count the steps and then figure up the total daily distance. The GPS enabled app I used on my phone said my max speed was 26.x mph- and I never went that fast on my bike!
Old 08-09-15, 09:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

More utility walks last week. I'm trekking back and forth to the uni twice a week these days, but there should only be a couple more weeks of that, and then it will drop to once a week.

I covered 21.5 km last week, and I'm up to a total of 632.85 km now.

Cycling is still quite recreational, although on Saturday, we drove into town, parked in our usual place, and then cycled to the Model Train Show.
Old 08-10-15, 08:43 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most of my walking is done inside. I clean movie auditoriums and in doing so, walk by every seat in the place 3-4 times. I have no idea how far it is. I'm not sure a pedometer would get an accurate measurement with all the bending and moving that goes on as well. It's two hours of walking at minimum.

Riding is easier to track.

I'm doing Cedar Hill Rd. all the way up more consistently now. Most importantly, I've remembered how to breathe deeply and how to get it going, which is to exhale sharply and let the inhaling take care of itself. Now I get enough oxygen. This rediscovery is making other hills easier too.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 08-11-15, 08:11 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Most of my walking is done inside. I clean movie auditoriums and in doing so, walk by every seat in the place 3-4 times. I have no idea how far it is. I'm not sure a pedometer would get an accurate measurement with all the bending and moving that goes on as well. It's two hours of walking at minimum.

Riding is easier to track.

I'm doing Cedar Hill Rd. all the way up more consistently now. Most importantly, I've remembered how to breathe deeply and how to get it going, which is to exhale sharply and let the inhaling take care of itself. Now I get enough oxygen. This rediscovery is making other hills easier too.

(I don't even drink beer, but congratulations!)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-11-15, 04:39 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody

(I don't even drink beer, but congratulations!)
Thanks. Rediscovering how to breathe deeply was a nice find. I'd become such a gentle rider that I'd rest rather than go for the hidden reserves. I'd forgotten how to make the transition gracefully.

Old 08-12-15, 05:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Yep ... that's how I have to breathe when I'm climbing the hills around here too.
Old 08-13-15, 07:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

More utility walks last week. I'm trekking back and forth to the uni twice a week these days, but there should only be a couple more weeks of that, and then it will drop to once a week.

I covered 21.5 km last week, and I'm up to a total of 632.85 km now.

Cycling is still quite recreational, although on Saturday, we drove into town, parked in our usual place, and then cycled to the Model Train Show.
21.4 km this week ...

-- from the allergist to work
-- from the bus to the uni and from uni to work ... twice
-- collecting tickets for an event in December
-- and some window shopping

It's a beautiful day out there and I am thinking of dashing out at lunch as well for a quick walk. That would be purely for exercise purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.