Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

snowboarding helmet

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

snowboarding helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 01:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,710 Posts
snowboarding helmet

Today I gave my new snowboarding helmet its first real try, riding 14 miles to work. I'm very happy. I never was sufficiently warm with a hat under a cycling helmet. The only trouble is that I don't know how to use my bluetooth headphones with it. The helmet pushes the buttons which are on the right ear of the headphones. In one minute, it dialed the phone twice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-11-16, 02:40 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Liked 401 Times in 263 Posts
Some helmets have earphone ear protectors as a sold accessory.

I just got a new ski helmet and finally I can use a helmet during winter. A bike helmet with stuff under was never an option
Old 01-11-16, 06:51 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that winter sports equipment (ski/boarding) stuff works quite well on the bike. I hadn't ever thought about a helmet. I just put a helmet cover on below about sixty degrees and use earwarmers in the forties and high thirties with a balaclava below that. I was quite surprised at the ability of just a cover make as big of a difference that it does. No way I can use my summer helmet without one.
Old 01-11-16, 06:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Duh. I just realized I could use the left ear instead of the right ear. The right ear is the one with the buttons. But the protector is something to look into.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-12-16, 07:21 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Liked 934 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I find that winter sports equipment (ski/boarding) stuff works quite well on the bike. I hadn't ever thought about a helmet. I just put a helmet cover on below about sixty degrees and use earwarmers in the forties and high thirties with a balaclava below that. I was quite surprised at the ability of just a cover make as big of a difference that it does. No way I can use my summer helmet without one.
I have an oversize bicycle helmet
I use when it's really cold. I have a safety orange touque that I stretch over it as a cover. As you said, a cover alone makes quite a difference in warmth. I also have a balaclava that i wear under it. That's why I bought this helmet in a larger size. that way the helmet still sits low where it's supposed to. Btw, I melted a hold through the cover so that my helmet mirror can still go into the mount on the helmet.

Cheers
Old 01-12-16, 10:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

An oversize helmet is not an option for those of us with oversize heads.

Old 01-12-16, 01:38 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Liked 401 Times in 263 Posts
And I could never get warm enough with a regulat helmet as I can't fit enough stuff underneath to cut the wind.

A ski helmet creates a barrier with the goggles which extends down to my nose which in turn isn't nearly as cold sensitive as my forehead.

And an oversized head doesn't help with the stuffing underneath part
Old 01-12-16, 02:56 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
An oversize helmet is not an option for those of us with oversize heads.
Tell me about it! I bought a Bern helmet last year in XXL and it was too small. I returned it for the XXXL and that just about fits. It's pretty tight if I wear a skullcap underneath.

I found a Bern Brentwood online which included both the summer and winter liners. It's a great helmet for 3-season riding (fall/winter/spring), but even with the added ventilation (compared to the older Bern hardhat style) I can't wear it in the summer.
It works great for winter riding, and I added the goggle clip on the back to hold my goggle strap. I use Oakley O2 XL goggles, and they work well.

I use a cheapo Bell XLV (in mongo size) for summer riding.

When I was getting my uniforms issued in the Air Force, we kept trying on caps until I ended up with a size 8, the biggest the uniform shop had. It was all the way to the right on the top shelf, and a little dusty.