Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

please help me identify this peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 02:33 PM
hobbsc
backwoods bicycle militia

Bikes: 2019 FIT PRK, 2019 WTP Avenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a couple of bikes the other day to restore for my wife and this was one of the finds:

Larger Image

There are a few more pictures of it here, toward the end of the set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hooobs/...7603514576076/

Anyone have an idea of the age of this thing or a model name? I'll comb the bike for a serial number. I haven't checked the frame for a model name yet, most of the decals are scratched all to hell.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to provide!
Old 07-27-09, 03:15 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Early 70s UO-18
looks pretty beat up, but I'm sure it will clean up nicely
Old 07-27-09, 04:33 PM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you think its not rare,try and find another one !
Old 07-28-09, 12:35 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbsc
Anyone have an idea of the age of this thing or a model name? I'll comb the bike for a serial number. I haven't checked the frame for a model name yet, most of the decals are scratched all to hell.
The serial numbers on the bottom of the bike on the BB. You can use cyclespeugeot.com to find out the age and model name, good luck and nice bike!
Old 07-28-09, 02:23 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
I bought one about a month ago in similar shape. It's a mid-70s model. Here's an after photo. 28 hours of labor. I think a lot of people would have thrown this bike in the dumpster, but they're worth fixing and I'm really happy with the results. The ride of these bikes is really nice, even with the original steel wheels.

Naval Jelly (steel parts like the headset), Alluminum Jelly (for alloy parts like the stem and brakes), and brasso for the chrome, all work great. I removed an amazing amount of rush with wire (copper) brushes and solvent (paint thinner).

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=553536&page=3
Old 07-28-09, 07:28 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by ozneddy
If you think its not rare,try and find another one !
Saw one on Raleigh Craigs List last week for $40. A pretty common bike, sold in the middle of the bike boom.
Old 07-28-09, 09:55 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Saw one on Raleigh Craigs List last week for $40. A pretty common bike, sold in the middle of the bike boom.
Maybe not so common in Oz.
Old 07-28-09, 10:35 PM
hobbsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies! I'll get to looking up that serial number.

I can't wait to get this thing cleaned up for my better half, she's going to love it!

Also, sunburst - You've done an amazing job restoring yours! It's gorgeous!

EDIT -

There's a ton of buildup where the serial number should be, but I'll sand it down and get a better luck. Right now I think it's between '70 and '75 after looking at that Peugeot page. It's got a Type 3 head tube decal, Type 2 seat tube decal, and a Type 2 downtube decal. I'm leaning toward '75, even though the downtube and badge don't jibe.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by hobbsc; 07-28-09 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 11:28 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Originally Posted by hobbsc
Also, sunburst - You've done an amazing job restoring yours! It's gorgeous!
Thx. It is probably the most satisfying and complete restoration I've done so far. I found myself waking up thinking, 'oh boy, I get to work on the Peugeot today!'

Call me crazy, but a few weeks later, I bought another in similar condition (blue this time), and started stripping the parts off yesterday. I just stumbled across it, didn't even need it. But I had such a hard time finding the first that I couldn't pass up the second. Funny thing - my Peugeot guru down the street was interested in the blue and proposed trading me a cleaner (less paint oxidization) white one just like yours. We're swapping the stripped frames/forks later in the week.

Oh yeah, my green one came with the same bars as yours, but drop bars never made sense to me on a mixte. I installed some inexpensive, but perfectly decent, generic 'North Road' style bars from the local LBS ($15), using the original Peugeot stem. Niagara Cycle Works has them (Pyramid brand). Then I added some generic mt. bike brake levers. Performance has some good ones, often on sale for $15 or so. These levers were salvaged from another wreak of a Peugeot I bought earlier in the year.

Btw, I'm sorta from Arkansas, my family at least - eastern Arkansas. I imagine you've got yourself a real unique ride for that part of the country!

Last edited by sunburst; 07-28-09 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 09:45 AM
hobbsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
Oh yeah, my green one came with the same bars as yours, but drop bars never made sense to me on a mixte. I installed some inexpensive, but perfectly decent, generic 'North Road' style bars from the local LBS ($15), using the original Peugeot stem. Niagara Cycle Works has them (Pyramid brand). Then I added some generic mt. bike brake levers. Performance has some good ones, often on sale for $15 or so. These levers were salvaged from another wreak of a Peugeot I bought earlier in the year.

Btw, I'm sorta from Arkansas, my family at least - eastern Arkansas. I imagine you've got yourself a real unique ride for that part of the country!
I think it's relatively unique, I'm in Northwest Arkansas and I've not seen any around. When I saw it at the junk shop, I immediately sent pictures to my wife who fell in love with it (I have enough bikes as it stands).

I doubt we'll do a complete restoration of it. I'm probably going to strip most of the paint off, but keep the badge. She's got a color scheme in mind for it. I'll also probably just turn it into a singlespeed for ease of maintenance.

I normally don't restore original paint on old bikes when I work on them, but sometimes I think I should. It's far easier just to sand down the frame and re-paint everything. Especially when the detail work is in as poor of condition as this one.
Old 07-30-09, 02:40 AM
sunburst

If you repaint, you can get some Peugeot bike decals on ebay. I saw the same ones on your bike when I first searched earlier in the year, although couldn't find the exact match just now.

So now for some unsolicited advice: if you keep the drops, put on a B17 or Flyer.
If you switch to upright bars, try out a B67.