Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

new wheels, chain slipping on cassette?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 04:07 PM
remotelocal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi all, just a quick question while i'm at work...

i replaced my tired and worn ritchey wheels with a new set of mavics, and seeing that i'm still running first gen ultegra 8speed, i had to use a mavic 2mm spacer behind the cassette to make the lockring hold the cassette nice and tight. all standard stuff, except i didn't adjust the RD at all.

i'm finding that it feels like the chain slips and then re-engages in some gears, mostly running the chain across from the 39f to the smaller cogs at the rear. nothing ever slipped like this on the old wheels so i'm thinking that the cassette might be sitting slightly to the left or the right of where it was on the previous wheel? is this good science? it seems to slip under pressure (standing to sprint) and sometimes just repeatedly in the lower half of the cassette. doesn't happen so much in the big chainring.

would just adjusting the stops to move the cassette slightly in or out be the obvious answer here? thanks in advance all.
Old 11-16-10, 04:20 PM
lpolliard
'09 Synapse Carbon 3

Bikes: '09 Synapse Carbon 3, R5000, R2000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjusting the stops might be necessary. The real problem is cable tension adjustment.
Old 11-16-10, 04:44 PM
remotelocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn it! i didn't want to hear that! but thanks, i guess i'll have to start fiddling with it tonight. it's been absolutely perfect since i replaced the cassette, front ring and chain a few months back. didn't want to touch it for fear of ruining the good mojo, but then i cracked the rear rim, so i guess it's time to tinker...
Old 11-16-10, 06:33 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Could be excess grease on the hub pawls, if so it should cure itself.
Or it may simply need a cable tension adjustment, takes about 30 seconds but is often a trial and error process if you don't have experience making this adjustment. This should not require changing the limit screws, if fact that could cause more problems.
Good instructions can be found for derailleur adjustments at this site: www.parktool.com.

The 2 mm spacer needed behind your cassette is because you have a MAVIC freehub. MAVIC has there own cassettes and they are 2 mm wider than Shimano's. If you had a 10-speed cassette you would need an additional Shimano spacer because the 10-speed cassettes require less space than your 8-speed.
Old 11-17-10, 02:46 PM
remotelocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh man, that was easy! you'll have to excuse my low level of technical competence, i'm learning each bit as i have to deal with it, but there was plenty of adjustment available at the barrel on the cable end at the derailleur. a bit of wind on that, and slight tweak of the stops and its back to the slickness. too easy! getting down on my hands and knees i could see the alignment issue at the cassette that was pulling the chain off the gears and causing the irritating squeak. problem solved. thanks all.