Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Taos/Angel Fire South Boundary Trail - Do not miss

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 02:05 PM
Bikernator
Below Par

Bikes: '13 Trek Stache 8; '08 Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm probably a lower end Cat 2 XC racer as far as skill set goes and a lower end Cat 3 XC racer as far as conditioning goes. I'm also from the midwest and riding a Trek Stache 8 hardtail. Just to give you an idea of what kind of person is giving this review.

The ride was incredible. If you're anywhere around the place, even just passing through, make sure to stop for this ride. Expect the following:

The first 1.5 miles will be pushing your bike up brutal rocky uphills unless you sold your soul to the devil for demigod-like riding abilities and conditioning. There's no way around it: it just sucks. But it is worth it many times over. Incredible flowy and awesome downhills for a significant part of the entire trail. Unbelievable views. I found myself just smiling and laughing throughout the ride. After the first series of descents there's a period of long, gradual climbing. Nothing like the beginning, and certainly rideable, but just be warned it will wear on you. A granny gear would be wise to have unless you're in good shape, just for the sake of saving your legs for the rest of the ride.

Blowing yourself out before the end would not be wise: the last 3 miles of downhill are intense and dangerous if you have the jelly legs. So take rest stops to eat and keep the engine cool. Stop at the last intersection before the downhill for a break. Food, water, etc. You'll need it. It took us 6 hours on a fairly warm late June day for the whole ride. Had one of my comrades not had quad cramps we would have made it in 5-5.5 hours. I took 2 liters of water (plus whatever ice was in the CamelBak) and a 20oz Gatorade and was perfect (6', 200 pounds, 29 years old). Also ate like 4 granola/energy bars.

There were a few big trees down, but that was hardly a major problem. After the initial march we only walked one or two other times.

You can easily get lost. There are some running apps that people have used while riding the trail that has pretty much mapped it out. Download one of these apps and activate your GPS to make sure you are following the prior person's path. It saved us once (we missed a turn we even knew was coming up on a downhill section) and gave us piece of mind on the many intersections we came across. Phone service is questionable out there, but we never lost the GPS signal. We used Runtastic and paid to download the map so it wouldn't disappear once we lost cell service. Well worth it.

Ran a little higher tire pressure per Clay's recommendation (bike-whisperer at Angel Fire Resort Bike Shop) and it paid off (around 25-27psi). Hardtail can do it, but it sure made me sore. Full squish would be best.

In short, do not miss this ride if you have any chance of doing it; but prepare accordingly. But it did kind of make me hate everyone who has regular access to it...
Old 08-04-16, 07:57 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally made it there in mid-June, such a blast of a trail!
Old 08-04-16, 01:27 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
WAs told to try it when I head there to do some DH'ing in a week or two --- not sure if I will have much left in the tank after 3 days on the slopes --- but may make it a go
Old 08-04-16, 02:11 PM
Bikernator
Below Par

Bikes: '13 Trek Stache 8; '08 Giant Rincon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.5 hours?? Didn't realize they let dirt bikes up there. Ha. Impressive. I thought about how much fun it would have been had I conditioned for it, but 95 degree weather here at home isn't quite... inspiring.

I dunno, DMC, the DH may be even more fun! But it sure was a blast of a ride. I do recommend it. Even if you can't hammer it, just going leisurely would be enjoyable.

If you go to Angel Fire and are in the bike shop and talk to a guy named Clay you should say something along the lines of "I hear you're into wagering bike services in exchange for naming laws of physics with Okies."

He did a bit of a tune up on my bike and while he was bleeding my brakes (going up in elevation apparently caused the air in my lines to expand and lock up my wheels) he said if I could name the principle at work he would give me all the work he did for free. He was unaware I'm both an engineer in the pump industry and an AOW SCUBA diver. It took me a second to think of it but then I grinned and mentioned Boyle's Law.

He was super friendly, but obviously being a little cocky, so he and a few of his coworkers nearby got a pretty good kick out of the humble pie. He said he'd remember it and it'd be funny of you to bring up.

Anyway, enjoy the trip (and the weather!).
Old 08-05-16, 12:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
YEs -- I'm debating staying at the Angel Fire lodge again ....... or ........... doing some primitive camping in Garcia park, and they say you can access the boundary trail easily from that park

I'll bring my all purpose machine, but my focus was on downhill with my big bike

I'll try to remember Boyle's LAw
Old 08-09-16, 10:47 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMC707
.... or ........... doing some primitive camping in Garcia park, and they say you can access the boundary trail easily from that park
Next time I go, that's where I plan to camp.

Just head east on SR437 a bit & you'll run into the trail...take it up for about 5 miles to descend the 'Heaven on Earth' portion back to Garcia Park, then continue on to the bottom.

A much quicker shuttle than going the whole way past AF.