Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any 'Older' Mountain Bikers Here?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any 'Older' Mountain Bikers Here?

Old 10-13-16, 11:16 AM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
We need to see pics of your new baby in the flesh.

Often the photo's on sites make the bikes look less attractive than they really are in real life photo's.
Lol it's just as ugly in real life as it in the web site pictures
Old 10-18-16, 01:40 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I'm a young one at 56 but still love to mountain bike. Here in the Seattle area we have a wide choice of trails to ride - old school x-county, new-school flow trails, chunky downhill, big mountain epics. I still try to ride them all, but a little more carefully than when I was younger.

Just took delivery of a new bike, a Turner RFX. Great ride. I especially love the 1x12 drivetrain...10x50 rear cassette (check out the size of that granny gear!), makes climbing the steep stuff bearable.

Old 10-22-16, 03:34 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I just bought some G-Form elbow and knee/shin guards. I'll probably buy a pair of the compression shorts with hip pads to wear under my riding shorts. I can't afford to smash/cut myself these days, and I do fall down fairly regularly. Twice today... The G-Form product is a shock sensitive pad mounted on an elastic sleeve, no straps. They are also very thin, so the elbow pad and compression shorts aren't noticeable under a long sleeve shirt and shorts. You're just gonna see the knee/shin pads.

If you ride groomed trails, the protection probably isn't necessary, but if you're riding advanced terrain or working on a new trail system with your buddy like I am, they really will come in handy. We're working on the trails with BLM approval and guidance.

PRO-X Knee-Shin Combo | G-Form

Update: Fell yesterday (10/27) going down a steep, rocky passage for the first time. About half way down I fell to the side, with my left elbow hitting a rock. If I hadn't been wearing my elbow pads, I'm sure I would have really damaged it. With the pad, nothing more than some soreness today.

Last edited by Terex; 10-28-16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 03:38 PM
Terex

Originally Posted by woodway
I'm a young one at 56 but still love to mountain bike. Here in the Seattle area we have a wide choice of trails to ride - old school x-county, new-school flow trails, chunky downhill, big mountain epics. I still try to ride them all, but a little more carefully than when I was younger.

Just took delivery of a new bike, a Turner RFX. Great ride. I especially love the 1x12 drivetrain...10x50 rear cassette (check out the size of that granny gear!), makes climbing the steep stuff bearable.
Great bike - ride the crap out of it! The 1x12 is a nice piece of kit.
Old 10-23-16, 05:49 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I'm 74 and still ride my Turner 5 Spot-5 inch travel MTB at Mammoth Mountain twice a year to get some high altitude training to support my road bike addiction.
Old 10-30-16, 08:49 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes
Lol it's just as ugly in real life as it in the web site pictures
Hey Colonel - Just got back from an awesome weekend up near Big Bear Ca at a friend's cabin right across from the Santa Ana River. Couple shots of the Trance about to cross the River.

Turns out the cabin is a couple miles below the Santa Ana River Trail head which is a premier mountain bike trail in CA. Had no idea we would be close to any real riding but spent this morning riding about 8 miles of the trail. Spectacular. A storm was moving through and the wind was howling through the trees and I rode alone in the early morning and it was really awesome.

BTW the Trance rode great. I can tell the difference between this bike and last year's model and this bike is way more stable and handled everything. I do miss my granny from the 2x on the older bike but I got by just fine.

...and a crappy video or 2 to boot. No GoPro stuff but an idea of the terain. We hiked a small portion of this trail the day before and came across 150 mountain bikers making their way all the way down to the valley floor on some kind of group ride to a brewery. One thing about SoCal is you never know what you're going to run into.

Last edited by LHawes; 10-30-16 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 10:09 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes
Hey Colonel - Just got back from an awesome weekend up near Big Bear Ca at a friend's cabin right across from the Santa Ana River. Couple shots of the Trance about to cross the River.

Turns out the cabin is a couple miles below the Santa Ana River Trail head which is a premier mountain bike trail in CA. Had no idea we would be close to any real riding but spent this morning riding about 8 miles of the trail. Spectacular. A storm was moving through and the wind was howling through the trees and I rode alone in the early morning and it was really awesome.

BTW the Trance rode great. I can tell the difference between this bike and last year's model and this bike is way more stable and handled everything. I do miss my granny from the 2x on the older bike but I got by just fine.

...and a crappy video or 2 to boot. No GoPro stuff but an idea of the terain. We hiked a small portion of this trail the day before and came across 150 mountain bikers making their way all the way down to the valley floor on some kind of group ride to a brewery. One thing about SoCal is you never know what you're going to run into.
I'll watch the video's when I get home from work in about 4 hrs, but your bike looks great and so much better in your pics, than it does on Giant's website.

I've noticed that quite a few of the bike manufacturer's websites seem intent on making their bikes look plain, as they put up crappy images of their bikes and they always look much better in "real life".

Giant is one of the worst offenders for this.
Old 11-04-16, 06:32 PM
jdcowboy
Just born yesterday

Bikes: Giant TCR SL, Trek SuperFly 100

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Biking at 62

I am 62 and just finished a 50 mile mtb race in 4:39. I came in 22 out of 28 in my 55+ men's age group. I was by no means fast, but I beat at least 25% of the overall racers. I had a great time and really enjoyed it. It hurts to fall now so I try to avoid it. I did three centuries on the road bike in the last 6 weeks and have only done 6 so far this year.

I still beat my daughter up hills on the mtb, although she hammers me on the downhills. She and I plan on doing several 8 hour mtb races together next year.

I ride my road bike more than the mtb but I love riding them both. Go out on trails and have fun! Age is a but a number in someone else's head.
Old 11-07-16, 10:51 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I picked up a fat bike (Kona Wo) a couple of years ago, mostly for winter riding, but I've been checking out some of the trails in the Twin Cities over the last year or so. I'd call what I'm doing more off-road exploring rather than mountain biking. There are a lot of trails around here and I can go somewhere new every weekend. Since I'm not familiar with the trails I'm not comfortable going too hard -- I do enough of that on the road.
Old 11-07-16, 06:37 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcowboy
I am 62 and just finished a 50 mile mtb race in 4:39. I came in 22 out of 28 in my 55+ men's age group. I was by no means fast, but I beat at least 25% of the overall racers. I had a great time and really enjoyed it. It hurts to fall now so I try to avoid it. I did three centuries on the road bike in the last 6 weeks and have only done 6 so far this year.

I still beat my daughter up hills on the mtb, although she hammers me on the downhills. She and I plan on doing several 8 hour mtb races together next year.

I ride my road bike more than the mtb but I love riding them both. Go out on trails and have fun! Age is a but a number in someone else's head.
That's really impressive to me. There's no way I could even make 50 miles mountain biking - way to go.
Old 11-07-16, 09:46 PM
OldInjuredOne

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Ultegra; Specialized Epic Comp FSR; Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Dura-Ace 2; Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Impressive and refreshing to see so many replies to the OP. I'm nearly 67 and started seriously enjoying road and mtn bikes about three years ago after injuring my peroneal nerve and tendon while running. I'm completely addicted to cycling, and the pedaling appears to have been great therapy for my otherwise gimpy leg. It certainly beats the Hell out of walking around a golf course!

I live in the northern California foothills and love to climb especially on the little-used country roads around my home. However, one of my sons lives in South Lake Tahoe where the mountain biking is absolutely pristine. He and his wife fueled my need to respond to challenges and hard work of a good climb!

Like many who have responded here, I'm pretty cautious and I try to stay within my limits. Problem is, there are these fun bike computer gizmos that Garmin (and others) produce that egg me on and urge me to set new PRs on Strava segments. What I've found is that climbing up is hard, but more rewarding to me than descending, and I can compare my climbing with others in the 65+ subgroup on Strava (not to mention the 55 - 64 subgroup). Of course, everybody beats me going down, but I arrive in one piece. That said, I've since met a neighbor who has been mountain biking for 25+ years, and he's taught me a great deal, but the thing I've gained most from his experience is the wisdom embedded in his favorite saying: "Ride so you can ride another day."

Enjoy your riding, OP, and thanks for setting up this thread!
Old 11-08-16, 06:39 PM
jdcowboy
Just born yesterday

Bikes: Giant TCR SL, Trek SuperFly 100

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Key is to enjoy riding no matter what your age.
Old 11-09-16, 09:06 PM
Terex

Originally Posted by OldInjuredOne
Like many who have responded here, I'm pretty cautious and I try to stay within my limits. Problem is, there are these fun bike computer gizmos that Garmin (and others) produce that egg me on and urge me to set new PRs on Strava segments. What I've found is that climbing up is hard, but more rewarding to me than descending, and I can compare my climbing with others in the 65+ subgroup on Strava (not to mention the 55 - 64 subgroup). Of course, everybody beats me going down, but I arrive in one piece. That said, I've since met a neighbor who has been mountain biking for 25+ years, and he's taught me a great deal, but the thing I've gained most from his experience is the wisdom embedded in his favorite saying: "Ride so you can ride another day."

Enjoy your riding, OP, and thanks for setting up this thread!
Just remember - Strava records hikes, snowshoeing, trail runs, etc. You can challenge yourself in lots of ways that minimize risk.
Old 11-09-16, 09:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I'm 58, and have recently been trying to mountain bike more since I live in such a great area for it. Trying to overcome 40 years of road cycling habits riding through rocks has been really tough. My opinion is that mountain biking is a lot of fun -- if you live. I have thought about getting pads because falling around here means landing on a sharp rock. This video shows some of our local trails, starting at about 2:20
Old 11-10-16, 08:20 AM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm 58, and have recently been trying to mountain bike more since I live in such a great area for it. Trying to overcome 40 years of road cycling habits riding through rocks has been really tough. My opinion is that mountain biking is a lot of fun -- if you live. I have thought about getting pads because falling around here means landing on a sharp rock. This video shows some of our local trails, starting at about 2:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ex-zXN6r2s
Wow. There's simply no reason to try and ride over the rocks @2:20, way too dangerous IMO and no shame in just walking around, slowly and carefully. If those are the types of trails you must ride then you certainly do not "live in such a great area for it" and not wearing pads of some kind would be foolish.

But look to 3:25 in the video. Great trail, not difficult or dangerous, looks like fun. Just stick to the trails you can handle safely and walk when it gets dangerous. I rode a trail the other day that was at my skill's limit and walked probably 4 times, mostly up some steep, rocky grades. It was a nice break and I stopped to take in the scenery. Mountain biking really is not a race all the time and for me it's a race none of the time. Relax, find the trails you are comfortable with and know/learn your limits.

I have knee pads simply because at an older age injuries are really debilitating and it's cheap insurance. Got some decent gloves too and may get some light elbow pads. Again it's really not that hard to ride carefully and safely and still have a great time.

Last edited by LHawes; 11-10-16 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-10-16, 10:57 AM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I just put my 29er up for sale. I would like to try a 27.5+ bike.
If it sells I plan on getting a Cannondale Cujo 2.
Cujo 2 Cannondale Bicycles
Old 11-10-16, 11:29 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
I just put my 29er up for sale. I would like to try a 27.5+ bike.
If it sells I plan on getting a Cannondale Cujo 2.
Cujo 2 Cannondale Bicycles
Why the switch on wheelset size? What didnt you like with the 29er?
Old 11-10-16, 01:53 PM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
On the street or bike path it might be slower than my 29er.
But in the Florida sand it might be better.
Old 11-11-16, 02:18 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I'll turn 66 around Christmas this year(2016) and still occasionally ride my old 31 lb. GT mtn bike. Nothing too crazy though. I prefer flowing singletrack without log crossings, something relatively mild, not too crazy. No plans to stop anytime soon. Only reason I don't ride off-road more is there are not near as many good off-road trails around L'ville KY as there are in northeast MD and southeast PA., so I'm not in the shape I used to be.
To unterhausen--if you're anywhere around York or Shrewsbury, check out Rocky Ridge park and Lake Williams/Lake Redman reservoirs--haven't been there in around 15 years, but used to be great places for mountain biking!!
Old 11-13-16, 08:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
freeranger, thanks for the recommendation. I'm further west than that. There are some really nice trails at Raystown lake, which is about an hour from here. We go down there occasionally for the flow trails.
Old 11-16-16, 10:33 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newbie, just recently turned 50, but for me, I've slowed down a lot in the last 10 years. And I have not crashed in some time now. ( I think a direct correlation to slowing down.) I still do some obstacles and such. I have no thought of quitting. In fact, some of my inspiration is from my crazy grandfather who rode till he was in his 80's. He only stopped due to a sad car/bike crash where he went completely over a car, breaking the front windshield, and leaving a dent in the trunk before dropping back to the pavement. His bike was totaled, his left leg broke in three places, and broke his shoulder. The doctors could have fixed him back up to ride, but it would have taken a couple of long surgeries on the shoulder, and the family decided to go with one, but he would not be able to ride any more. A sad day for Granddad..... At that time, he thought nothing about heading out for a 50 mile ride on his old balloon tired Schwinn bike in the late 70's. The speedster I have was his, but he didn't like the "skinny" tires, so he just kept his old bike going.

So, don't get hit by a car, and keep riding! Mountain biking is a great way to do both.
Old 11-16-16, 11:17 AM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good post - love to hear stories about older riders.
Old 11-23-16, 06:48 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Ok Older Mtb riders,, I have moved from a full suspension Scott Spark to a HT Scott Scale 720 Plus bike

And am so glad I did. The bike is NOT slow at all.

There Is a two mile two track Into my local park, very sandy in places, dry loose jeep trail,,sugar sand Ughhh. My Strava PR fastest run that has stood for six months that I got by nearly killing myself on my Full suspension bike, almost puked at the end to make that speed/time. I beat that by 1 minute and three seconds on my first ride, and could still speak
The extra traction and control,,,bucket loads of it make a real difference to me,
I use far less energy controlling the bike. My arthritic wrist Is no longer an Issue because of all the extra, bucket loads remember , the extra traction means I can relax more and just ride the thing.

You can really drive into a corner, throw the bike way way over on It's side and rail the turn.
Pick a bad line ? No matter, hang on. Running 15ish psi with those fat meats Is great,, I tend to try bad lines.
The Tires are not heavy, 800 grams or less site says 780. Easy tubeless setup, as the tubes ARE heavy, 210 grams each
Sealant per tire was 60 grams, yep we weighed a full bottle then an empty one..

Strava tells me on my first ride out and the next few rides In the quads, the flat twisting single tracks, I am far faster,, not single seconds in a few miles but whole minutes. I am riding farther and feeling better the morning after.
The fatter plus tires are taking the harshness I remember from my first hard tail away.
I don't miss my full suspenion at all, loving the efficiency of the hard tail again, all aspects of it.

Just sayin,, you should try out one of the newer slacker plus bike hard tails.
When the trail gets rowdy I use the dropper post, getting up off the saddle helps any mtb even a FS handle better,
Getting up makes me stronger right ! I get up more but finish the rides with more energy,,go figure that one out.

Upgrades on the 2017 from the 2016 model,
Rockshox, Great tires, Maxxis Recons, The good ones, Terra out front and Speed out back,
Dropper post, a good one, a major thing here, Updated Geo, seems a bit slacker Is really better.

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 08:30 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
67 years here and just took delivery of my new 29+ TREK STACHE 5 yesterday. The 2017 model has a suspension fork, rather than the prior year's fixed carbon. Bike is very light for the type of bike that it is. I got in about 10 miles of local trail and only fell off once. This is an amazing machine. Light and agile with very good traction, quick handling even with the 3" wide tires!
Old 11-27-16, 09:20 AM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend
67 years here and just took delivery of my new 29+ TREK STACHE 5 yesterday. The 2017 model has a suspension fork, rather than the prior year's fixed carbon. Bike is very light for the type of bike that it is. I got in about 10 miles of local trail and only fell off once. This is an amazing machine. Light and agile with very good traction, quick handling even with the 3" wide tires!
Wow that looks like a great bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.