Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

new to cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Looking at GCN, So you got a Road Bike?
Old 03-07-17, 03:03 AM
nicetry
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, road bike.
Old 03-07-17, 01:05 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
When I think about what is most important to me about cycling, it is paying close attention to what is going on around me, traffic wise, and anticipating situations that may lead to a collision. I live in an area friendly to cyclists but the consequences of a crash between 155 pound me and 3000 pounds of of motor vehicle would be dire or fatal. I operate on the premise that the time to solve a problem is before it is a problem.

Last edited by berner; 03-08-17 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-17, 05:18 PM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for cadence. Don't blow your knees out trying to push too high a gear. When available ride on multi user paths. Riding without a constant fear of distracted motorists makes the experience much better.
Old 03-07-17, 06:56 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
When discussing bikes on the forum, it's always hard to know if someone is mechanically inclined or not. So I don't know where you stand. But my advice is to learn as much as you can about maintenance, and equip yourself for basic tasks, such as:

0. Simply getting the wheels on and off correctly
1. Fixing a flat tire -- at home or on the road
2. Adjusting the brakes
3. At least checking out the condition of other components such as bearings, if not servicing them

Finding a buddy who does these things, or is willing to learn them with you, is helpful. The Park Tool and Sheldon Brown websites have lots of useful tutorials. And for tools, you pretty much can't go wrong with Park Tool.

So far as upgrades are concerned, tires are often a good place to start, and I'd only recommend puncture resistant types these days.
Old 03-08-17, 06:30 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
New rider: every once in a while you need to ask yourself why you are riding. And then compare that with all the other important things in your life.

Time is something that you don't have enough of.
Old 03-08-17, 10:02 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
New rider: every once in a while you need to ask yourself why you are riding.
There's been more than once out on the road, 10 or more miles from home on a bike and plodding up a hill, that I've wondered if I were crazy to be doing what I was doing.
Old 03-08-17, 01:10 PM
Nstoltzner

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun! That is my biggest piece of advice. I am on my second season starting soon this year with some Zwifting all winter but I will tell you that I way over thought every aspect of the bike from cadence, to wheels, to you name it. I now just ride and have fun. Don't worry about mileage etc. Others will do more than you and some will do less. Also buy a bike computer because you will ultimately want to know how many miles you rode.
Old 03-08-17, 02:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The Republic of Offthebackistan / A Roadie Confession
Old 03-08-17, 03:31 PM
Red90

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you are a new rider, you may not have that strength and endurance conditioning. One of the hardest things to learn is to not push so hard. Dialing it down a bit and using a moderate but sustainable effort to eclipse a hill is better than grinding it too hard and burning out your muscles and lungs to the point you need to stop.

If you get to the point that you appreciate the suffering... your a road cyclist!!
Old 03-09-17, 09:38 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
1. Carbon will not make you faster.
2. Clip in pedals and cycling-specific shoes are not necessary if you don't like them.
3. Cycling-specific clothing exists for very good reasons but it's also not necessary (except maybe shorts and a helmet).
4. Your saddle is almost certainly too low.
5. Learn to change a flat.
6. Learn to hold your line.
7. Learn to pedal smoothly and avoid coasting. There is real technique involved in pedaling and it takes time to learn to do it properly.
8. Be overly patient with drivers and get out of their way, even if you feel you're "in the right".
9. Press fit bottom brackets suck. Learn what a press fit bottom bracket is and why it sucks.
10. Maintain your bike. Nothing crazy is necessary, just make sure everything works and lube the chain.
11. Learn the ins and outs of your shifters and derailleurs and shift gears, a lot. Too many new cyclists don't use their gears properly.
12. There is no substitute for mileage. If you want to get fit, just ride more.
13. Try different disciplines if you like the sport to vary things. MTB is very different from road cycling.
14. Once you're somewhat fit, try riding in a group, you might like it.
15. Some cyclists are terrible snobs, ignore them.
16. Don't be afraid of a slightly sore neck and back when just getting into cycling. Lots of new cyclists get a sore neck after a couple of rides and immediately raise their bars to above the saddle and leave it there. There are many benefits to a more "aggressive" position (primarily, getting weight off the saddle) and just rejecting a more "aggressive" position because it's slightly uncomfortable when you're just starting out is likely premature. Gradually working into one might make sense for you, or it might not but give it a chance.
17. Counter-intuitively, softer saddles are often less comfortable.
18. Almost any bike will do. However, a cheap department store bike is just going to annoy you if you put more than a few miles on it. Spend a bit of money if you can. Used bikes are often a great deal.
19. Buy a 3/4/5 Y allen wrench. you can tighten/fix almost anything on a bike with that one tool.
20. Cycling internet forums are often full of terrible bias and misinformation, proceed with caution.

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-09-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 02:38 PM
morfeeis

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
don't buy white peddles, they only look good for two weeks, after that it a battle to see how quick you can trash them in order to buy new ones (like bar tape).

Just have fun ....
Old 03-09-17, 03:00 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis
don't buy white peddles, they only look good for two weeks, after that it a battle to see how quick you can trash them in order to buy new ones (like bar tape).

Just have fun ....
White bar tape is awful. I don't care how nice or comfortable it is... it looks like crap after 3 rides.
Old 03-09-17, 03:25 PM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
1. Get some nice shorts. cotton tighty whiteys will cause you lots of chaffing. Unless you are racing, or training to race, wear baggy shorts on top. (I am preparing myself to be assaulted by banana hammock aficionados.)
2. Don't sit on your taint. sit on your hip bones.
3. Don't be afraid to adjust your seat angle and forward and back until you find a position that works. but start in the middle and flat.
4. Clipless pedals and shoes that are a size larger than your street shoes.
5. Wear a helmet. Vegetables are for eating.
Old 03-10-17, 03:24 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Velominati ? The Rules
Old 03-10-17, 03:45 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cadence! If you feel like your bike is pulling you up big hills, you're doing it right. I can't be without a bike computer that tells you cadence. 90s on flats is doing well.
Carry a tube (or 2) and a pump and know how to change a flat.
Set up the bike to fit you. Start with the seat. Height, angle, front/back. Move in small amounts and start with a recommended start position.
Keep the chain lubed and do any other maintenance.
Be alert in traffic and ride on less traveled roads whenever possible.
Old 03-11-17, 10:48 AM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'm another who believes in cadence. I also endorse most of what has been said already here. But the most important thing I have learned is still the hardest to practice on every ride: wave instead of gesturing. Knowing what's going on all around you all of the time is critical, of course. But remember to wave at the most obnoxious of your tormentors. Flipping them off simply rewards the unwanted behavior. Wave and wish them a nice day. Easier said than done but it does all of us the favor down the road.
Old 03-11-17, 01:49 PM
nicetry
Banned.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks for all the replies guys!

I have over 170 miles on my bike currently and loving it
Old 03-11-17, 02:10 PM
jdw777

Bikes: 2000 Klein Quantum

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Cadence..
+1 can be hard to learn, can be hard to be consistent, but worth it, especially on the hills.

One other thing I've relearned (back in the saddle about 6 weeks) is that cadence gets my butt unweighted a bit = less butt pain, better blood flow, less banging up and down - love that floaty feeling when I've got a good cadence.

Peace o/
Old 03-11-17, 02:30 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
When discussing bikes on the forum, it's always hard to know if someone is mechanically inclined or not. So I don't know where you stand. But my advice is to learn as much as you can about maintenance, and equip yourself for basic tasks, such as:

0. Simply getting the wheels on and off correctly
1. Fixing a flat tire -- at home or on the road
2. Adjusting the brakes
3. At least checking out the condition of other components such as bearings, if not servicing them
+1. All this would have kept me riding much more often in my first years of cycling. I'd add minor derailleur adjustments as well.

Also: just ride. The more you ride, the faster and stronger you get, and the more fun it is to ride. If something doesn't feel right, change it. Minor things like saddle, saddle height, pedals, stem angle, and handlebar width can make a world of difference.
Old 03-11-17, 07:20 PM
vsudhir18

Bikes: Supercycle Solaris Hybrid

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
train (with variety of excercise) all year long, always be ready and prepared for all weather types and be well nourished/hydrated on long/group rides
Old 03-12-17, 07:54 AM
pauoos
pauoos

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Tourmalet, 2000 Gary Fisher Aquila

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That 15 mile ride that seemed so daunting when you were a beginner, will look like an easy warmup ride after a couple of years of experience. Stick with it, it gets easier!
Old 03-12-17, 09:39 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Crashing hurts, try not to crash.

Don't over think this stuff, it's just riding a bike. There isn't anything you can't figure out on your own, just go ride and have fun.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-12-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-12-17, 10:41 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
A subject that no one will advise on but is very important,,, practice riding in a straight line while at the same time kicking out at a 90 degree from either side in a attempt to discourage a malicious dog that is trying to chew your ankles off , I find that is very important,,,,