Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Apartment Parking Annoyance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Apartment Parking Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 08:29 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang1
OP and kids bikes are illegally parked.
OP obtained permission to park in illegal space, thus no longer illegal.
Now OP's bikes are legally parked, and kid's bike is illegally parked.
I'm siding with the OP on this one BUT...
I have to agree with some of the others' pragmatic solutions.
I feel sorry for you that you consider or live in an environment where every discretionary act is illegal unless you have not been given specific permission. Is that a UK thing?

In the USA, it's unlikely that the OP got special permission to the exclusion of all others. It's probable that the manager sees no problem with storing items in the common areas as long as they so not create problems, fire hazards, etc.
Old 11-30-12, 12:40 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Buy or build a locking storage compartmet or shed for your bikes.

Quit equating inconvenience with aggravation. What you're describing in the OP is just small potatoes, don't sweat it.
Old 03-17-17, 10:07 AM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rather than start a new thread I'll hijack this one because a friend has a similar problem.

She has one of those huge Wike Box Bikes with the kid carrier on the front. She used to store it in her apartment's common area but the landlord now says it has to go in the bike room. It's too big for the building's bike room, crowding out the other bikes. She put it in anyway and this morning her front brake cable mysteriously was disconnected, almost causing a crash as she left the garage.

Thing is, she has a designated car parking space in the garage but no car. But also nothing to lock the bike to.

The only thing I can think of is begging the landlord's permission to attach some sort of small "U" shaped fastener to the concrete wall--something you could loop a cable or Kryptonite through.

Hoping the smart folk here have any suggestions.
Old 03-17-17, 10:51 AM
1Coopgt

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkbre
The boy (and his parents) have just as equal rights as you and your husband to freely park his bike wherever they want on an unassigned bike parking rack.

You feel you are "entitled" to the spots? What made you and your husband such high and mighty renters to be above a 5 year old with training wheels? My guess is that they have the same lease and rent that you have with access to whatever bike parking is available. If I were them, I would be questioning why a couple is harassing my 5 year old about his small bike when the couple is parking 3 times as much on the same rack. Why not take your own suggestion and you guys haul your bikes into your apartment so you're not hogging the bike rack for the other renters to use?

Realistically, you need to get over it and learn to share (sounds like something I'd say to a 5 year old...). What is sounds like is that you are parking 3 of the 4 items locked to the bike rack and you're still *****ing about a small bike with training wheels.

No offense, but I would re-evaluate the situation long and hard. You're starting a battle and losing a war. When all this pans out, you and your husband will look like A$$HOLES (actually kind of already do)!. Why...because you are preparing to hassle a 5 year old about a bike that is legally parked and that you have moved for your convenience. However, you and your husband are taking up 2 spots in the parking lot cars that don't operate.
Couldn't have said it better myself .
Old 03-17-17, 11:09 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by holden west
Rather than start a new thread I'll hijack this one because a friend has a similar problem.
Probably better you do start a new one. I can almost guarantee the next fifteen responses are either along the lies of "ZOMBIE ALERT" or responses to the OP.

That said, I seriously doubt management will allow anything to be drilled into a wall. If it were me, I'd probably find an old bike rack on CL, something big enough you could just set it in the parking spot and not worry about someone picking it and the bike up to toss in a truck. Or maybe a heavy concrete fixture, like are on the bottom of free standing signs, that has an eyelet on it.
Old 03-17-17, 11:23 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Probably better you do start a new one. I can almost guarantee the next fifteen responses are either along the lies of "ZOMBIE ALERT" or responses to the OP.

That said, I seriously doubt management will allow anything to be drilled into a wall. If it were me, I'd probably find an old bike rack on CL, something big enough you could just set it in the parking spot and not worry about someone picking it and the bike up to toss in a truck. Or maybe a heavy concrete fixture, like are on the bottom of free standing signs, that has an eyelet on it.
Zombie Thread!

Several concrete blocks in the car spot would be cheap and easy. And a long cable.
Old 03-17-17, 12:36 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Take-The-Bikes-Inside-Your-Apartment. Or put them on the existing, management provided, rack where it belongs.

And BTW, its a zombie thread. :-)
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 03-17-17, 03:39 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Rather than start a new thread I'll hijack this one because a friend has a similar problem. Hoping the smart folk here have any suggestions.
A welding shop can easily make something heavy that can go in your parking space to lock it to. A big chunk of steel (400 lbs?) with a 2" steel loop (upside down U) on top. Needs to be a single unit that can't easily be disassembled.

If your bldg mgr raises concerns about it being left there then offer to leave a $250 deposit in case you don't move it when you move out.

They could also talk to their building owner and point out that there is a higher demand for bicycle storage than car storage and expand the bike storage.
Old 03-17-17, 03:43 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
OP, your sig indicates you live in Florida. You're concerned about snow?

I would get a bike that you can leave outside. We leave bikes outside in The Netherlands for decades. It doesn't much harm them. Inside or under cover storage is nice but that's really kind of a new luxury.
Old 03-17-17, 04:46 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g
Wow.

I honestly did not expect such hostility here, of all places. Is it because I said the other bike belonged to a small boy? Would I be getting this reaction if the other bike belonged to some delinquent gangster?
The problem is your selfishness. When everyone disagrees with you just admit you are wrong. Do it now and you will save a lifetime of mental anguish and everyone will love you.
Old 03-17-17, 05:50 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
There is nothing that we can say here that will resolve your issue. Talk to your neighbor and work it out.

Edit: DOH! Zombie thread caught me again.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 03-18-17 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 08:01 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
I have a dumb question: Since the hallway is a common area that must be shared just store bikes in apartment while using a stand that stacks bikes. Less floorspace is used and everyone is happy.
Old 03-19-17, 11:53 AM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ha, sorry for resurrecting the thread. I guess to me the only thing worse than replies to forumers that probably haven't been active in years is going to a forum and seeing pages of basically the same questions over and over again.

Appreciate the suggestions on how to lock a large cargo bike. The simplest and cheapest solution seems to be a few cinder blocks with a cable looped through. Combined with another u-lock, it won't guarantee safety but it will make theft incredibly difficult. Thanks!
Old 03-19-17, 12:33 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Appreciate the suggestions on how to lock a large cargo bike. The simplest and cheapest solution seems to be a few cinder blocks with a cable looped through. Combined with another u-lock, it won't guarantee safety but it will make theft incredibly difficult. Thanks!
Dunno that I'd use cinder blocks. They are incredibly easy to simply break.

Not to mention, if you don't lock them up when you are out on your bike, they are likely to disappear too!
Old 03-19-17, 01:31 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I thought the update was going to be TC was shot and killed after confronting those people taking their "parking space" ..............