Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel no long clicks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 12:04 PM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have a set of Easton EA90 SLX and after i had the bearings replaced by the local shop my wheel no longer clicks when free spinning. i was told it's normal but i miss the click, will this have any long term effects on the wheel and is there anything i can do to get the click back?
Old 03-17-17, 02:26 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Description doesn't make sense.
The clicks come from the pawls in the ratchet mechanism that allows the wheel to both drive and coast. Although details differ depending on hub design, bearings and pawls are different parts.
Only reason why a bearing replacement should influence clicking is if the shop also added grease to the ratchet mechanism.
The way to get the click back would be to pull the freehub apart and remove excess grease.
Old 03-17-17, 03:01 PM
morfeeis

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dabac
Description doesn't make sense.
The clicks come from the pawls in the ratchet mechanism that allows the wheel to both drive and coast. Although details differ depending on hub design, bearings and pawls are different parts.
Only reason why a bearing replacement should influence clicking is if the shop also added grease to the ratchet mechanism.
The way to get the click back would be to pull the freehub apart and remove excess grease.
OK, that makes sense, thanks for the info. so they may have packed the hub with too much grease thus not allowing the ratchet mechanism to move freely? could this cause a problem for the hub or is a lot of grease a good thing?
Old 03-17-17, 03:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis
OK, that makes sense, thanks for the info. so they may have packed the hub with too much grease thus not allowing the ratchet mechanism to move freely? could this cause a problem for the hub or is a lot of grease a good thing?
If a thin film of grease is simply muffling the clicks by providing a "soft landing" as the pawls spring open, then it's fine. OTOH 0 excess or overly thick grease can bind pawls in the retracted position, or fill the ratchet ring and keep the pawls from opening fully. That will cause slippage, usually first noticed when starting to pedal after coasting.

You can't tell from the outside, so I'd leave it as is and ride, and as long as there were no issues save for the silence, continue enjoying the quiet because odds are it'll be gone soon enough, and most of the grease migrates out of the way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-17-17, 03:21 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis
If the pawls weren't moving freely, they wouldn't engage. The wheel wouldn't drive.
You might just have a tad too much, enough to damp out the metal-on-metal clatter you heard before.
As long as the wheel engages as it should there isn't much immediate benefit from cleaning it out.
Depending on type of grease, excess amount can cause the wheel to fail to engage when weather turns colder and grease become stiffer.

Sometimes, riding more will force the excess out/away.

I like to start with a clicking wheel. For Shimano, I know that when it goes quiet, it's time for a clean.
Old 03-17-17, 03:34 PM
morfeeis

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys...
Old 03-17-17, 05:58 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
If you miss it that much, perhaps you can get Terry Gilliam to ride behind you and make the noise.
Old 03-17-17, 06:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

There's no reason to pay Terry G. to follow you.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-17-17, 06:52 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
A few years ago I repacked the bearings in the rear hub of my 1997 Niskiki mountain bike commuter. After 16 years or so the grease looked horrible. I cleaned a little in there and added new grease...probably too much. Anyway, just as with you the clicking went away. But I was happy with that. Four years later still no click, and the wheel still rolls great. No slippage, works great. My 2015 Charge Plug was silent from the get go. And my 83 Nishiki road bike clicks quietly.
Old 03-17-17, 08:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You can't tell from the outside, so I'd leave it as is and ride, and as long as there were no issues save for the silence, continue enjoying the quiet because odds are it'll be gone soon enough, and most of the grease migrates out of the way.
And if you ride with others, they'll appreciate the quiet too.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-17-17, 08:11 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
And if you ride with others, they'll appreciate the quiet too.
It's nice to see you post. You were more active before becoming a mod, and I miss your presence here.

Old 03-18-17, 07:21 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Sort of a side track: One of my bikes has a Sturmey Archer 2 speed hub that you switch gears by slight backwards pedaling. In high gear, the pawl ratcheting noise is so pronounced that when I ride on MUPs it serves as a warning to those I approach from behind. I noticed that folks reacted to this noise so now I purposely shift. One time another cyclist asked me if I had a special warning system.

Also useful for determining that I am in low gear when I coast to a stop.
Old 03-18-17, 08:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's nice to see you post. You were more active before becoming a mod, and I miss your presence here.
Thanks.... Several factors. Part being a mod, part being a mod on another very busy forum.
And, by the time I'm ready to post, you and a few others have given good replies, so not much left for me to add !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-18-17, 06:43 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I slapped some grease on my pawls when I was in my rear hub a while back, now enjoying the silent (relative) running. You can always clothespin some baseball cards to your seat stays if you miss the racket.

scott s.
Old 03-20-17, 09:18 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I am in the 0.1% that loves the sound of a loud hub, in fact, the louder the better. Currently have Chris King's on my SS mtb/commuter and they are not loud enough. Had some Hope Pro II's on my full suspension mountain bike that I sold a few years ago, now that was loud!
Old 03-20-17, 09:31 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I find this to be an elegant yet cost-effective solution to your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
card-on-spokes-www.jpg (97.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Scarbo; 03-20-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 09:58 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I am in the 0.1% that loves the sound of a loud hub, in fact, the louder the better. Currently have Chris King's on my SS mtb/commuter and they are not loud enough. Had some Hope Pro II's on my full suspension mountain bike that I sold a few years ago, now that was loud!
I don't care about sound, but I do want both optimal function and protection so I use #00 spindle grease rather than #2 wheel bearing grease on serviceable units. Being significantly thinner it makes for louder clicking, you'd like it.
Old 03-20-17, 10:10 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My Fulcrum hubs are loud. When I first got them they annoyed me with their volume. But there are advantages. Like when you ride on a mup, you just ease off from pedaling a bit and people can hear you coming, hence, there is no longer any need to try to modulate between a, perhaps, too feeble an on your left or a too-imperious Stand aside!