Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for entry level road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Suggestions for entry level road bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 10:53 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I use the LBS for service, and occasionally, clothes.

Then the two of us in combo will keep them with plenty of business!

I'm more willing to buy clothes online as I learn how different brands and cuts fit me and as i find deals, but considering I have biking gear from L-2XL which all fit me in various manners, I just can't bring myself to deal with it. Odd, cause I'd have no issue buying a bike online, but that is how my mind works!
Old 03-22-17, 11:03 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Then the two of us in combo will keep them with plenty of business!

I'm more willing to buy clothes online as I learn how different brands and cuts fit me and as i find deals, but considering I have biking gear from L-2XL which all fit me in various manners, I just can't bring myself to deal with it. Odd, cause I'd have no issue buying a bike online, but that is how my mind works!
The more clothes I get, the easier it is to buy online. I know Nashbar Jerseys fit me in size XXL. Primal is a little smaller, so I need to go up to 3 XL. I had previously stuck to local shops for shorts, but even there, I recently took a chance on some Bellweather shorts in size XXL and it is a perfect fit. Craft, on the other hand, feels a little snug, so maybe put those aside for later in the season if my weight goes down. On the other hand, my Craft base layers are the best base layers I own that aren't merino wool. And Craft is seldom available locally, and when it is, only at full price. I bought a Performance vest in XXL and it is still tight. But I kept it in the hopes that I can lose about 25 lbs and then it will fit. If I don't, I will probably give it away or sell it, and besides, it only cost me around $20. In helmets, I took a chance on a Limar helmet last year that retails for $120. $35 plus free shipping. It is at least as good as my Cannondale helmet I bought locally for $70, 4 years ago.
Old 03-22-17, 12:27 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by dwg51357
Narrowed it down to a Merit. Visited a LBS that had one in stock to check out fit, etc. Ordered a 2017 Merit 2 using the corporate code for $449!
I bet the LBS you show-roomed was psyched about that.
Old 03-22-17, 12:49 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Old 03-22-17, 12:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11033 Post(s)
Liked 7,579 Times in 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by dwg51357
So I started my search at the Raleigh USA site. Narrowed it down to a Merit. Visited a LBS that had one in stock to check out fit, etc. Ordered a 2017 Merit 2 using the corporate code for $449! It arrived within 3 days. Assembly was fairly easy - mount saddle, attach handlebars, mount front wheel, attach front caliper. Ordered a pair of clipless pedals to finish it off. I'm very pleased. Will take it to LBS this weekend to fine-tune fit.
Hopefully you ordered the pedals and will get the fine tune fit at the bike shop where you tested the Raleigh. You know, to help keep them around and carrying products you can check out in person before buying online for less.

For the record, I do this too- Ill see something at BestBuy and have bought it elsewhere. Ive done the same for cycling products too, but I try to balance that with ordering some things from the shop.
Tubes, gloves, helmets, socks, racks...things which typically wont be so significantly less online- try to get them at the shop. Otherwise...there eventually wont be a place to test ride that next bike.
Old 03-22-17, 12:58 PM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I'm planning on buying a new road bike, I was looking for something with 11-32 at least 9 speed, alloy frame with carbon blade fork, and possibly disc brakes. My budget is about $500 - $800 . Any good suggestions for a decent entry level road bike? Thanks.

here is your requested bike a cannondale synapse with sora 9 speed with an alloy frame and carbon fork for $615. REI link

I bought the claris version of this bike last year and love it...
Old 03-22-17, 01:15 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Raleigh has been careful to protect it's dealers as well as it can. If you order online and take delivery at the dealer, the dealer gets either "their normal margin" or a commission.

If the bike is not in stock, Raleigh tries to steer you to pick it up at the LBS. I'm not sure what the arrangement is, but I believe the LBS gets a fee for assembly and fitting. At a minimum, they get a chance to sell you accessories.

KENT, Wash. (BRAIN) — Raleigh USA told its dealers Tuesday that it would begin selling bicycles online to consumers who would then pick them up at a participating Raleigh dealer. Raleigh dealers will also be able to sell bikes valued at more than $1,000 at retail on their own websites.

The move mimics in some ways the current programs announced last year by Trek and in February by Giant.

Qualified Raleigh dealers will receive normal margin when their point-of-sale system has been integrated with Raleigh’s and if they have the model in stock and available to sell.

For bikes not held in stock, or if the dealer’s POS system is not integrated with Raleigh’s, the dealer will receive a commission on the sale based on the dealer’s current program with Raleigh minus the costs of sales incurred. Those costs would include marketing, processing of orders and shipping.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 03-22-17, 04:32 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
Raleigh has been careful to protect it's dealers as well as it can. If you order online and take delivery at the dealer, the dealer gets either "their normal margin" or a commission.

If the bike is not in stock, Raleigh tries to steer you to pick it up at the LBS. I'm not sure what the arrangement is, but I believe the LBS gets a fee for assembly and fitting. At a minimum, they get a chance to sell you accessories.
The Merit 2 retails for $900. OP got it for $449. How much did the bike shop make off that transaction? Can't have been much.
Old 03-22-17, 05:53 PM
dwg51357

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before you get all righteous on me ... I've spent LOADS of money at that bike shop - and will continue to spend money there. I told the guys what I was doing - they understood and couldn't match the price. I will use them - and pay - to fit me, buy accessories, etc. One of the builders is even a personal friend.
Old 03-23-17, 12:21 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
How is Vitus? I saw a Vitus Zenium VR Disc Road Bike 2016 for $765, It has full 105 5800 groupset and disc brakes, weighs only 20 lbs and fits all the things that I wanted in a bike, is this really a good bike or is the price tag to low to be good for one with 105 5800 components?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod135401
Old 03-23-17, 12:27 PM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
How is Vitus? I saw a Vitus Zenium VR Disc Road Bike 2016 for $765, It has full 105 5800 groupset and disc brakes, weighs only 20 lbs and fits all the things that I wanted in a bike, is this really a good bike or is the price tag to low to be good for one with 105 5800 components?
Vitus Bikes Zenium VR Disc Road Bike 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Vitus Bikes Zenium VR Disc Road Bike 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles

That looks like a smoking hot deal...
Old 03-24-17, 12:19 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just decided to go to my LBS yesterday and picked up a Specialized Allez Elite 2016 for $999
Old 03-24-17, 12:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,858 Posts
All that agnst and the guy buys a box of vanilla.....
Old 03-24-17, 01:09 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 948 Posts
I had the exact same requirement too

And I ended up with a 1 or 2 year old floor model Scattante DX350. It's not the lightest bike, but it's the one that gets the most miles. It's a Performance Bicycle rebrannded Fuji in case anyone is asking. Make a busget for pedals because most new bikes don't come with them. Make a buget for shoes too if you don't go for flat pedals. You will probably hate any seat that comes with the bike. So set some money aside for that too. On my Scat, I hated the Tektro 160mm mechanical disc because I rode fast enough down things that were steep enough stopping was a problem. I upgraded the brakes to 180mm Avid BB7's and sintered pads. They work good! I wouldn't consider anything with the Tektro name again. It's up to you, just my experience, up for consideration.

Any bike under 25-26 pounds that you enjoy riding will be the right one for you. A year or 2 old will save some dollars, as will making the local co-op the first stop of any shopping trip.

As far as "good" brands...it's hard to buy junk anymore. Theres only about 3 or 4 major mass market bike manufactures and only about 3 or 4 major mass market component manufactures. After that, unless there is some "special" requirement you have most bikes of any given catagiry are interchangeable within n% of function.

Check out Craigslist and stay away from anything from any store that also sells groceries, tool boxes, or appliances.

Good luck.

I'm planning on buying a new road bike, I was looking for something with 11-32 at least 9 speed, alloy frame with carbon blade fork, and possibly disc brakes. My budget is about $500 - $800 . Any good suggestions for a decent entry level road bike? Thanks.
--Edit--
Sorry, didn't see OP posted while I was responding.