Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Any research re: single file v. two abreast?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Any research re: single file v. two abreast?

Old 03-12-18, 03:34 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
It is known, but it really isn't an item of contention in a thread about abreast riding.
Why not?

If one bike may use the full lane, why can't a second bike use the available space next to that first cyclist?
Old 03-12-18, 03:46 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Why not?

If one bike may use the full lane, why can't a second bike use the available space next to that first cyclist?
They can and they do. But as I tried to explain earlier, part of staying safe on the road is managing driver expectations, and blocking the road with two abreast doesn't signal that the issue is passing room but that the cyclists simply want to ride that way. Whether that is foolhardy on the driver's part to misinterpret or not, it is going to cause many drivers to become irritated and to pass more aggressively when they are able.

This isn't a "rights" thing, but purely optics and emotional reactions. Any stretch of road where one or more cyclists start building a backlog of cars that want to pass is a recipe for road rage. Cyclists that demonstrate that they are aware of the difficulty by the way they ride on such roads are more likely to be passed with care than those who look unconcerned with their impact on traffic.

Sometimes riding in traffic needs to be adversarial, but that is something to be avoided when cyclists have zero protection against both active and negligent aggression.

If we ride, or appear to be riding like a-holes, we'll get treated that way.
Old 03-12-18, 03:54 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They can and they do. But as I tried to explain earlier, part of staying safe on the road is managing driver expectations, and blocking the road with two abreast doesn't signal that the issue is passing room but that the cyclists simply want to ride that way. Whether that is foolhardy on the driver's part to misinterpret or not, it is going to cause many drivers to become irritated and to pass more aggressively when they are able.

This isn't a "rights" thing, but purely optics and emotional reactions. Any stretch of road where one or more cyclists start building a backlog of cars that want to pass is a recipe for road rage. Cyclists that demonstrate that they are aware of the difficulty by the way they ride on such roads are more likely to be passed with care than those who look unconcerned with their impact on traffic.

Sometimes riding in traffic needs to be adversarial, but that is something to be avoided when cyclists have zero protection against both active and negligent aggression.

If we ride, or appear to be riding like a-holes, we'll get treated that way.
I can understand what you're saying in theory, but I ride two abreast all the time and I've never encountered problems with it. It never occurred to me to think of it being adversarial, or that anyone would.

Whether I'm solo or abreast, I use a mirror and communicate with those behind identically, releasing when necessary, safe and appropriate. I get just as many friendly waves and nods riding two abreast as riding solo.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 03-12-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 03:59 PM
Kontact

I can understand what you're saying in theory, but I ride two abreast all the time and I've never encountered problems with it.

Whether I'm solo or abreast, I use a mirror and communicate with those behind identically, releasing when necessary, safe and appropriate. I get just as many friendly waves and nods riding two abreast as riding solo.
As I said earlier, I have no problem with riding abreast. What I take issue with is using it to "control" a lane when it is not appropriate for cars to pass. I think it is in fact, not theory, a good way to piss off drivers that are seeing two bikes preventing them from passing and therefore miss that the road would be too narrow with even one bike.
Old 03-12-18, 04:08 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I said earlier, I have no problem with riding abreast. What I take issue with is using it to "control" a lane when it is not appropriate for cars to pass. I think it is in fact, not theory, a good way to piss off drivers that are seeing two bikes preventing them from passing and therefore miss that the road would be too narrow with even one bike.
Just looking back at them and nodding takes care of that, to let them know you know they are there, as long as you do it in time (before they start getting annoyed). A mirror enables getting the timing right.
Old 03-12-18, 05:01 PM
Kontact

Just looking back at them and nodding takes care of that, to let them know you know they are there, as long as you do it in time (before they start getting annoyed). A mirror enables getting the timing right.
Then I restrict my comments to only the 98% of bikes AND cyclists with no mirrors.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-12-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 05:03 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then I restrict my comments to only the 98% of bikes with no mirrors.
Fair enough, though a mirror on glasses or helmet is probably even better than one on the bike.
Old 03-12-18, 05:24 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
It must be nice to ride in Mellowey McMellowey Face, but people around here come pre-annoyed.

I dream a world where supernatural communication skills works. But in the meantime, all the Hood is gone.

-mr. bill