Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Special Mode (CyclingSavvy article by Mighk Wilson)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 05:13 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Special Mode - CyclingSavvy

Excerpt:

Is it possible to provide bicycle facilities for “beginner” cyclists?

Yes, but the opportunities for such facilities are very limited. Trails in their own rights-of-way are great places to learn bike handling skills and get comfortable operating the machine. But when a path is placed along a busy urban or suburban street, it presents users with more turning and crossing conflicts with motorists than a cyclist would encounter using a regular travel lane. In Central Florida, where I study bicycle and pedestrian crashes, 82 percent of motorist-caused bike crashes involve cyclists riding on sidewalks, sidepaths and crosswalks.
Old 03-07-18, 05:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Didn't you already start a couple of topics on CyclingSavvy?

Is that being promoted in Florida, the most dangerous cycling state in the USA? Is it working?

Sidewalks are a special case. Perhaps OK for the rider who is paying enough attention that they would also be safe on the road. But, they are prone to generally low-speed accidents.
Old 03-07-18, 06:00 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
“It’s beyond the scope of this post to describe how, but when you explore CyclingSavvy Online or attend a CyclingSavvy workshop, we’ll show you how.”

But wait, there’s more. Send money now and we’ll....

-mr. bill
Old 03-07-18, 07:57 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
“It’s beyond the scope of this post to describe how, but when you explore CyclingSavvy Online or attend a CyclingSavvy workshop, we’ll show you how.”

But wait, there’s more. Send money now and we’ll....

-mr. bill
Yeah, they're in it for the big bucks.
Old 03-07-18, 07:58 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Didn't you already start a couple of topics on CyclingSavvy?

Is that being promoted in Florida, the most dangerous cycling state in the USA? Is it working?

Sidewalks are a special case. Perhaps OK for the rider who is paying enough attention that they would also be safe on the road. But, they are prone to generally low-speed accidents.
This thread is not about CyclingSavvy - it's about the one particular blog article linked in the OP. For those who may be interested.
Old 03-07-18, 08:02 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Yeah, they're in it for the big bucks.
They are in it for the bucks.

-mr. bill
Old 03-07-18, 11:08 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This thread is not about CyclingSavvy - it's about the one particular blog article linked in the OP. For those who may be interested.
I periodically look at what they put out. I'm an ornery old cuss, but I haven't found anything of theirs to disagree with. Clearly, they're not trying hard enough.
Old 03-08-18, 10:18 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-mr. bill
They have several hours worth of free video:

https://vimeo.com/album/1881848

The two-part online course is $100, to help offset costs. Bargain for life-saving education, I think. YMMV.

https://online.cyclingsavvy.org/p/cy...ymasterybundle
Old 03-08-18, 02:32 PM
Fjl229

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-mr. bill
ABEA, the organization that runs Cycling Savvy is a small non-profit. The instructors are usually responsible for their own travel and expenses whenever they conduct a course. Hardly a money maker.
Old 03-09-18, 12:56 PM
mr_bill

They have several hours worth of free video:

https://vimeo.com/album/1881848
Under three hours is "several" hours?

The two-part online course is $100, to help offset costs. Bargain for life-saving education, I think. YMMV.
Have *you* taken the courses, either online or in real life?

Anyhow, I find it odd how something as safe as bicycling on a road requires "life-saving" education.

-mr. bill
Old 03-09-18, 03:37 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Under three hours is "several" hours?

Have *you* taken the courses, either online or in real life?

Anyhow, I find it odd how something as safe as bicycling on a road requires "life-saving" education.

-mr. bill
Yes, I have taken the course, and I know many others who have.

It's potentially life-saving for most cyclists because many cyclists engage in behavior that will lead to death for some of them, and the course teaches how to change their thinking and behavior to not do that.

But, your point is well taken. Most cyclists won't die even if they continue to engage in this relatively risky unSavvy behavior (like riding in door zones, and generally not using lane positioning for safety), but some won't be so lucky, and no one can know whether they are in the "most" or "some]" group. Besides, the savvy practices make being injured far less likely too (and that is likely to happen to many cyclists), and almost all find they enjoy riding more as a result of what they learned, especially riding in traffic.

But don't take my word for it...

https://register.cyclingsavvy.org/testimonials
Old 03-11-18, 12:58 PM
mr_bill

How has it saved YOUR life?

-mr. bill
Old 03-11-18, 02:42 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Motorists should be required to take cycling courses to get their driver's licence.
Old 03-11-18, 04:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Motorists should be required to take cycling courses to get their driver's licence.
Should cyclists also be required to take this unnamed "cycling course" in order to get a cyclist's riding license?
Old 03-11-18, 06:52 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Should cyclists also be required to take this unnamed "cycling course" in order to get a cyclist's riding license?
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but in my view, cyclist licensing doesn't solve a problem, would be expensive to administer, unenforceable, and would deter people from giving cycling a try.

I prefer to let bikes be a mode of transportation that people can approach more casually. Someone can take a safety course if they want to, or read about safety on the Internet. I'm even in favor of letting bikes be a transportation option for people who can't get a drivers license.
Old 03-11-18, 06:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No.

Educating motorists would be more effective. Hardly any road deaths are caused by cyclists or pedestrians.
Old 03-11-18, 07:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but in my view, cyclist licensing doesn't solve a problem, would be expensive to administer, unenforceable, and would deter people from giving cycling a try.

I prefer to let bikes be a mode of transportation that people can approach more casually. Someone can take a safety course if they want to, or read about safety on the Internet. I'm even in favor of letting bikes be a transportation option for people who can't get a drivers license.
Of course you are 100% correct. People who propose a requirement for anyone to take unnamed cycling courses as a prerequisite for licensing usually have an agenda such as drumming up a demand for their preferred cycling class and/or harassing cyclists, or in the case of this thread for harassing those mean ole motorists.
Old 03-14-18, 07:04 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How has it saved YOUR life?

-mr. bill
That's like asking a person who used to drink and drive how sober driving has saved HIS life. He can't point to any particular situation and know how he would have behaved had he been drunk that would have threatened his life. Similarly, I don't know exactly where these practices have saved me. But the dearth of close calls is telling.
Old 03-14-18, 07:07 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
No.

Educating motorists would be more effective. Hardly any road deaths are caused by cyclists or pedestrians.
Actually, cyclists and pedestrians are often responsible for causing their own deaths, and even where motorists were at fault some prudent defensive practices often would have saved the cyclists or pedestrians. So, I think educating the cyclists and even pedestrians could be highly effective. After all, they are the ones with skin in the game, and are therefore much more prone to care.
Old 03-14-18, 07:44 PM
mr_bill

Actually, cyclists and pedestrians are often responsible for causing their own deaths....
Actually, no.

-mr. bill
Old 03-14-18, 08:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I started riding as an adult, after many years of walking, jogging, or running to work ... in the Greater Orlando area, before there was "cycling savvy," before there was "share the road," before there were bike lanes.

I am not real bright, either.

Somehow I figured out, "Don't get hit by cars is better." One step up from "Fire hot."

I have seen some <deleted> whose sig claims something like "position on the road is the greatest life-saver" or some such.

Reality tells me, Awareness is the primary survival trait. Cooperation is second.

Anyone who has "taken a lane" only to see a car go into oncoming traffic to make a pass and then cat off the cyclist to get ahead all withing 50 feet of a stop sign .... probably realizes that being heads-up is what counts. A car can hit you in the middle of the lane like it can hit you on the edge of the road. Just like stop signs don't stop cars, lane position doesn't either .... speaking as someone who got his first separated shoulder when a car ran a stop sign. Tell, me, why didn't the fact that i was in the middle of the lane save me?

I generally ride as far right as practical ... sort of, like the Law requires. I make sure I have room so a pothole or some debris isn't going to catch me out ... unless it is a big pothole or a big piece of debris. But a driver who won't give me a foot to pass won't give me a foot no matter where I am ... those that will, do.

If this guy can make a few bucks telling people what they should be able to figure out on their own ... good for him.

One thing I have figured out is that this guy's "In your face---I am a bicyclist" approach doesn't always work ... and pissing off already impatient people in cars might not hurt the cyclist ... but the poor sucker who does get his further down the road would probably ask you to be a bit more considerate and let the car by.
Old 03-15-18, 09:33 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, cyclists and pedestrians are often responsible for causing their own deaths...
Actually, no.

-mr. bill
That's not a very productive response.

Perhaps we're using different notions of how often constitutes "often" in "often responsible for causing their own deaths". Even if only 10% of cyclist deaths were caused by the cyclist, that would be about 60 per year in the US, or about one a week. That's what I mean by "often". What about you?
Old 03-15-18, 09:53 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I started riding as an adult, after many years of walking, jogging, or running to work ... in the Greater Orlando area, before there was "cycling savvy," before there was "share the road," before there were bike lanes.

I am not real bright, either.

Somehow I figured out, "Don't get hit by cars is better." One step up from "Fire hot."

I have seen some <deleted> whose sig claims something like "position on the road is the greatest life-saver" or some such.

Reality tells me, Awareness is the primary survival trait. Cooperation is second.

Anyone who has "taken a lane" only to see a car go into oncoming traffic to make a pass and then cat off the cyclist to get ahead all withing 50 feet of a stop sign .... probably realizes that being heads-up is what counts. A car can hit you in the middle of the lane like it can hit you on the edge of the road. Just like stop signs don't stop cars, lane position doesn't either .... speaking as someone who got his first separated shoulder when a car ran a stop sign. Tell, me, why didn't the fact that i was in the middle of the lane save me?

I generally ride as far right as practical ... sort of, like the Law requires. I make sure I have room so a pothole or some debris isn't going to catch me out ... unless it is a big pothole or a big piece of debris. But a driver who won't give me a foot to pass won't give me a foot no matter where I am ... those that will, do.

If this guy can make a few bucks telling people what they should be able to figure out on their own ... good for him.

One thing I have figured out is that this guy's "In your face---I am a bicyclist" approach doesn't always work ... and pissing off already impatient people in cars might not hurt the cyclist ... but the poor sucker who does get his further down the road would probably ask you to be a bit more considerate and let the car by.
I believe if someone just rode down the middle of the lane without communicating or cooperating with motorists what you imagine above might actually occur. I don't know for sure, because I haven't tried it. Have you?

What I have tried is something that CyclingSavvy calls "control and release". This does involve using the full lane by default, but also moving aside when safe and appropriate to release. My variation includes using a mirror so I can see traffic arrive behind me long before I can hear them, and plan accordingly: if it's not appropriate to immediately release, then I look back at them and nod. Knowing that I know they are there makes an enormous difference; they seem to greatly appreciate that, and accept that I'm in control. CyclingSavvy calls this "a dance you must lead".

You Lead the Dance ? CyclingSavvy

The result is excellent interactions with motorists. I hate being honked at or having any ire expressed towards me, and I have found that this is the best way to keep that behavior at bay. What I get instead is friendly waves and nods, and plenty of passing room. I recall incidents like "see a car go into oncoming traffic to make a pass and then cat off the cyclist", but that was years ago. These practices nip road rage in the bud, and keep motorists from doing that, and allow me to enjoy riding in all kinds of traffic, and be very safe doing so.

Are you really in Orlando? It would be create if you took a CyclingSavvy course, perhaps even from the founders, and let us know what you think.

https://register.cyclingsavvy.org/groups/orlando-metro
Old 03-15-18, 10:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I believe if someone just rode down the middle of the lane without communicating or cooperating with motorists what you imagine above might actually occur. I don't know for sure, because I haven't tried it. Have you?

What I have tried is something that CyclingSavvy calls "control and release". This does involve using the full lane by default, but also moving aside when safe and appropriate to release. My variation includes using a mirror so I can see traffic arrive behind me long before I can hear them, and plan accordingly: if it's not appropriate to immediately release, then I look back at them and nod. Knowing that I know they are there makes an enormous difference; they seem to greatly appreciate that, and accept that I'm in control. CyclingSavvy calls this "a dance you must lead".
You needed to take a course to figure out that communicating with other people eases situations?

I knew how important communication with drivers was about a week after getting my driver's license. If you needed to be told that your survival chances increase, plus the world is a much better place, if we all communicate ... well, glad you learned.

Let me say this once more, to see if you can grasp it ...

Dude, I learned urban cycling in the most dangerous city in the nation, before there were bike lanes.

I survived. Pretty obviously I learned how to ride in dense, dangerous urban traffic safely.

Your pontificating might be helpful for a toddler ... but anyone who has come through years of commuting in Any city or even busy town knows all that stuff ... or they are dead.

I hate being honked at or having any ire expressed towards me, and I have found that this is the best way to keep that behavior at bay. What I get instead is friendly waves and nods, and plenty of passing room.
Basic stuff. If a person can't figure this out on his or her own ... whether walking, biking in a car, on a horse ....

I still get the occasional shout from passing cars, because some people really do seem to think that bikes don't belong on the roadway. I love it when someone shouts "Get on the sidewalk!" when there is no sidewalk.

Are you really in Orlando? It would be create if you took a CyclingSavvy course, perhaps even from the founders, and let us know what you think.
No, I left Orlando. But if you are serious, pay for the class and I will try to arrange some vacation time ... I have friends there I could visit and stay with if needed.

Otherwise .. I have read enough of what this guy says and I am not impressed. If you are, great. Tandempower has his trees, you have CyclingSavvy, I have truth, compassion, and tolerance. We all believe in something.

Except It-likes-to-bike. That person has his negativity, but I bet he doesn't believe in it ... he doesn't believe anything else people tell him.

That would be the person to take the course and report back. Hook him up with transport and tuition. That would make for some interesting posts.
Old 03-15-18, 10:47 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You needed to take a course to figure out that communicating with other people eases situations?
Most cyclists start out with the understanding that they are supposed to be "riding in the gutter". Many of them stay there or give up cycling.

There are techniques to riding in traffic that people have figured-out earlier.

Telling riders "they have to communicate" isn't really teaching them how to do that.

Some cyclists might benefit from a course (or reading/etc) rather than learning how to do all that by themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.