Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Special Mode (CyclingSavvy article by Mighk Wilson)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The Special Mode (CyclingSavvy article by Mighk Wilson)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 10:50 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You needed to take a course to figure out that communicating with other people eases situations?

I knew how important communication with drivers was about a week after getting my driver's license. If you needed to be told that your survival chances increase, plus the world is a much better place, if we all communicate ... well, glad you learned.

Let me say this once more, to see if you can grasp it ...

Dude, I learned urban cycling in the most dangerous city in the nation, before there were bike lanes.

I survived. Pretty obviously I learned how to ride in dense, dangerous urban traffic safely.

Your pontificating might be helpful for a toddler ... but anyone who has come through years of commuting in Any city or even busy town knows all that stuff ... or they are dead.

Basic stuff. If a person can't figure this out on his or her own ... whether walking, biking in a car, on a horse ....

I still get the occasional shout from passing cars, because some people really do seem to think that bikes don't belong on the roadway. I love it when someone shouts "Get on the sidewalk!" when there is no sidewalk.

No, I left Orlando. But if you are serious, pay for the class and I will try to arrange some vacation time ... I have friends there I could visit and stay with if needed.

Otherwise .. I have read enough of what this guy says and I am not impressed. If you are, great. Tandempower has his trees, you have CyclingSavvy, I have truth, compassion, and tolerance. We all believe in something.

Except It-likes-to-bike. That person has his negativity, but I bet he doesn't believe in it ... he doesn't believe anything else people tell him.

That would be the person to take the course and report back. Hook him up with transport and tuition. That would make for some interesting posts.
No, I didn't have to take a class to learn that. I just didn't call it "control and release" or "you have to lead the dance" before I took the class. But most cyclists I know don't do either.
Old 03-15-18, 10:51 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Perhaps we're using different notions of how often constitutes "often" in "often responsible for causing their own deaths". Even if only 10% of cyclist deaths were caused by the cyclist, that would be about 60 per year in the US, or about one a week. That's what I mean by "often". What about you?
It's a common rhetorical tactic to use the word "often" to make a problem appear worse than it is.

It's not exactly "honest".

If "only 10%" are the problem. it leads to the question of why you are ignoring the other 90%.

That's not a very productive response.
His response is an indication that he's aware of your rhetorical "ploy".
Old 03-15-18, 10:52 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
most cyclists start out with the understanding that they are supposed to be "riding in the gutter". Many of them stay there or give up cycling.

There are techniques to riding in traffic that people have figured-out earlier.

Telling riders "they have to communicate" isn't really teaching them how to do that.

Some cyclists might benefit from a course (or reading/etc) rather than learning how to do all that by themselves.
+1000
Old 03-15-18, 10:53 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Some cyclists might benefit from a course (or reading/etc) rather than learning how to do all that by themselves.
Wait, what, there are BOOKS about riding bikes?
There are courses OTHER than the one-and-only-official-saved-my-life-hallelujah-course?

You mean there's HOPE for those of us who OFTEN kill themselves on bicycles?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-16-18 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 10:59 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a common rhetorical tactic to use the word "often" to make a problem appear worse than it is.

It's not exactly "honest".

If "only 10%" are the problem. it leads to the question of why you are ignoring the other 90%.
First, it's not "only 10%" (I said "even if [it's only 10%]", and, second, I'm not ignoring the other 90% (or whatever surely smaller-than-90% it is). As I originally said, "...and even where motorists were at fault some prudent defensive practices often would have saved the cyclists or pedestrians. " And in that case by "often" I believe it's "almost always". Yes, there are the crazy unpredictable situations with drivers driving up onto sidewalks or whatnot, but the vast majority of cyclist deaths where the motorist is at fault involve the well-known crash types (right hook, left cross, pullout, etc.) all of which have well-known practices for avoidance. Pedestrians who are hit when they have the right of way often could have avoided it by checking for red light runners, etc.
Old 03-15-18, 11:03 AM
njkayaker

First, it's not "only 10%" (I said "even if [it's only 10%]", and, second, I'm not ignoring the other 90% (or whatever surely smaller-than-90% it is).
You are missing the point.

I'm using your hypothetical of "even if it's only 10%". In that case, "often" is a problem.

"Often" is a wiggle word typically used to make things appear to be worse than they are.

Expect careful readers to be wary of it.

As I originally said, "...and even where motorists were at fault some prudent defensive practices often would have saved the cyclists or pedestrians. " And in that case by "often" I believe it's "almost always". Yes, there are the crazy unpredictable situations with drivers driving up onto sidewalks or whatnot, but the vast majority of cyclist deaths where the motorist is at fault involve the well-known crash types (right hook, left cross, pullout, etc.) all of which have well-known practices for avoidance. Pedestrians who are hit when they have the right of way often could have avoided it by checking for red light runners, etc.
Who knows whether it's "almost always".

In any case, I don't think that anybody in this forum disagrees with what you said here.

I'd be surprised if anybody (with any sense) would disagree that these skills are something that cyclists can be taught (either by other cyclists, reading, watching videos, or by taking a class).

People might not being clear enough, but I think the disagreement is the implication (possibly, erroneous) that it can only be learned from paying for a particular class.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-15-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 11:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
And in that case by "often" I believe it's "almost always".
yeah, you go with your "beliefs" an awful lot. And you don't seem to understand why the things you "believe" are not immediately accepted as fact.

In most of the accidents I have been in, most were my fault, many I could have avoided by riding smart despite the stupidity of some drivers, and all were educational.

So .... Now I don't have any problems with cars.

But ... I am not making up data and claiming it as fact, as you did and often do.

I am just suggesting that you rein in that tendency.

Also ... as I said, I don't care if this guy wants and can make money selling his view of how to ride. And I don't care if you worship him. But maybe understand that just because he was the one who opened your eyes ... a lot of people get their eyes opened in other ways, and a lot of people open their own eyes.

You are like the guy who wants to marry the first girl who consented to have sex with him ... she was drunk and thought you were someone else, and you are in love forever.

The guy is your hero, great. The fact that not a lot of other people agree with him, doesn't change what he is to you.

But maybe ... you could keep your love life to yourself?

j/k you are doing fine,.. i am just having fun with you.
Old 03-15-18, 11:16 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are missing the point.

I'm using your hypothetical of "even if it's only 10%". In that case, "often" is a problem.

"Often" is a wiggle word typically used to make things appear to be worse than they are.

Expect careful readers to be wary of it.
Okay, I get your point, but I wasn't trying to wiggle out of anything. My point stands if the ratio of motorist to cyclist fault is 99:1, 1:99, or anything in between.

Some percentage of the time cyclists are primarily at fault. I think it's sufficiently frequent to fairly refer to it as "often", but it doesn't matter. That's just semantics (which is why I didn't understand why mr bill took issue with it).

The other percentage of the time motorists are primarily at fault. In those cases I believe defensive techniques by the cyclist can usually prevent the crash.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 03-15-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 11:23 AM
njkayaker

Okay, I get your point, but I wasn't trying to wiggle out of anything.
Whether or not it was intentional (and I'll just agree it wasn't!), that might be the impression people get (that's something you want to be aware of).

My point stands if the ratio of motorist to cyclist fault is 99:1, 1:99, or anything in between.
Well, if it was 1/99 the fault of the cyclist, it might be more rational to just deal with it (and not spend money/time on classes).

I'm not sure if anybody here really disagrees that training/experience/practice of good techniques reduces risk in a significant way.

You seem to be assuming that they don't.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-15-18 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 11:25 AM
mr_bill

If your "point" stands is there a walkforums.net where you recommend a weekend long walkingsavvy course?

Since pedestrians kill themselves MORE OFTEN than people on bikes.

-mr. bill
Old 03-15-18, 11:26 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah, you go with your "beliefs" an awful lot. And you don't seem to understand why the things you "believe" are not immediately accepted as fact.

In most of the accidents I have been in, most were my fault, many I could have avoided by riding smart despite the stupidity of some drivers, and all were educational.

So .... Now I don't have any problems with cars.

But ... I am not making up data and claiming it as fact, as you did and often do.

I am just suggesting that you rein in that tendency.

Also ... as I said, I don't care if this guy wants and can make money selling his view of how to ride. And I don't care if you worship him. But maybe understand that just because he was the one who opened your eyes ... a lot of people get their eyes opened in other ways, and a lot of people open their own eyes.

You are like the guy who wants to marry the first girl who consented to have sex with him ... she was drunk and thought you were someone else, and you are in love forever.

The guy is your hero, great. The fact that not a lot of other people agree with him, doesn't change what he is to you.

But maybe ... you could keep your love life to yourself?

j/k you are doing fine,.. i am just having fun with you.
For someone who is criticizing others for relying on their beliefs too much, you sure are relying on a lot of assumptions... I know all of the clauses in your post that I bolded are false.
Old 03-15-18, 11:30 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If your "point" stands is there a walkforums.net where you recommend a weekend long walkingsavvy course?

Since pedestrians kill themselves MORE OFTEN than people on bikes.

-mr. bill
There probably could be a lot of benefit to teaching people how to be safer from errant motorists, and from making their own errors, while walking.
Old 03-15-18, 06:32 PM
mr_bill

Lots of weasel words that equals “no.”

Is there a motorcarforums.net where you recommend a long motoringsavvy course?

Since people driving cars kill themselves MORE OFTEN than people walking kill themselves MORE OFTEN than people riding bikes kill themselves.

And people driving cars kill OTHER PEOPLE MORE OFTEN.

Your “point” is pointless.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-15-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 09:13 PM
njkayaker

Lots of weasel words that equals “no.”

Is there a motorcarforums.net where you recommend a long motoringsavvy course?

Since people driving cars kill themselves MORE OFTEN than people walking kill themselves MORE OFTEN than people riding bikes kill themselves.

And people driving cars kill OTHER PEOPLE MORE OFTEN.

Your “point” is pointless.

-mr. bill
Weird post.

You seem to be implying that no cyclists could benefit from learning things from experienced cyclists.
Old 03-16-18, 06:23 AM
mr_bill

Weird post. You seem to be implying that no motorists could benefit from learning things from experienced motorists.

Street Survival

All of the classes are open to parents. Many of the courses are open to other adults.

$95.00 "is a bargain for life-saving education, don't you think?" (In my opinion you can't learn these skills in an "on-line course." YMMV.)

I point out the above only because I've taken the course. But there are a host of similar programs throughout the country. I'll leave it for the rest of the world to find their versions of these courses.

ps. I've written textbooks and taught courses on a completely unrelated geek subject, and my spouse is a professor.

I rather believe in education.

I rather like my textbooks and rather like the courses I've taught, and have thousands of people who agree with me. And my spouse is a brilliant teacher and mentor, and has thousands of students who agree. But there are MANY other excellent textbooks and excellent courses offered on my geek subject that I highly recommend. My spouse is one of the first to recommend other brilliant teachers and mentors to students too.

But I am skeptical whenever anyone claims the one true path to knowledge. Particularly for a "bargain" price.

I am even more skeptical when the one true path to knowledge is offered in two locations in Florida, two in North Carolina, and one in Vermont. The rest are "There are currently no sessions scheduled in this area."

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-16-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 06:44 AM
njkayaker

Weird post. You seem to be implying that no motorists could benefit from learning things from experienced motorists.
This is all in your head. I haven't said anything about driver training.

But I am skeptical whenever anyone claims the one true path to knowledge. Particularly for a "bargain" price.

I am even more skeptical when the one true path to knowledge is offered in two locations in Florida, two in North Carolina, and one in Vermont. The rest are "There are currently no sessions scheduled in this area."

-mr. bill
Where does the "one true path" stuff come from?

...I rather believe in education....
Seems like he might agree with you that education is a good thing and that there are multiple sources for it.

Most cyclists start out with the understanding that they are supposed to be "riding in the gutter". Many of them stay there or give up cycling.

There are techniques to riding in traffic that people have figured-out earlier.

Telling riders "they have to communicate" isn't really teaching them how to do that.

+1000

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-16-18 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 09:38 AM
mr_bill

"a course" - singular.
"reading" - ambiguous.
"etc" - ambigous.

Pluses are cheap.

Links to a course OTHER than the one on the other hand....

-mr. bill
Old 03-17-18, 08:18 AM
njkayaker

"a course" - singular.
"reading" - ambiguous.
"etc" - ambigous.

Pluses are cheap.

Links to a course OTHER than the one on the other hand....

-mr. bill
"A course" (not "this course").

It's very clear that I was referring to other, multiple things (not this one thing). That isn't "amgibuous" at all).

"One true path" isn't a fair characterization of anything he wrote.

Pluses might be "cheap" but they aren't things he didn't say.
Old 03-17-18, 04:11 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Isn't this thread advertising and therefore against the forum rules?
Old 03-17-18, 05:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Overcome by events; see https://www.bikeforums.net/20228077-post944.html
Old 03-17-18, 08:28 PM
njkayaker

No, it's no different than people recommending bicycles nor equipment.

It's not his course (,as far as I know).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-17-18 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 12:22 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think you’ll find he is behind all the endlessly repetitive cyclingsavvy threads and has close links with the organisation.
Old 03-18-18, 09:34 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I think you’ll find he is behind all the endlessly repetitive cyclingsavvy threads and has close links with the organisation.
A few of his posts seem to imply that motorists take no responibility in any cyclist fatality.
Old 03-18-18, 10:42 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I wish I had taken driver's ed. with a Beamer...maybe I'd be Mr. Molly Ringwald.

Street Survival
BMW Teen Driving School

All of the classes are open to parents. Many of the courses are open to other adults.

$95.00 "is a bargain for life-saving education, don't you think?" (In my opinion you can't learn these skills in an "on-line course." YMMV.)

I point out the above only because I've taken the course. But there are a host of similar programs throughout the country. I'll leave it for the rest of the world to find their versions of these courses.

ps. I've written textbooks and taught courses on a completely unrelated geek subject, and my spouse is a professor.

I rather believe in education.

I rather like my textbooks and rather like the courses I've taught, and have thousands of people who agree with me. And my spouse is a brilliant teacher and mentor, and has thousands of students who agree. But there are MANY other excellent textbooks and excellent courses offered on my geek subject that I highly recommend. My spouse is one of the first to recommend other brilliant teachers and mentors to students too.

-mr. bill
Old 03-18-18, 10:46 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
A few of his posts seem to imply that motorists take no responibility in any cyclist fatality.

Dude was a sock puppet from waaaaaay back. We'll leave it at that except that, post-St. Patrick's day, no more blarney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.