Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please help ID 1932 Olympic bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 10:58 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This bike has remained in the family since it was ridden by Glen Robbins in the 1932 LA Olympics. But it's been repainted many times and the headbadge is long gone. There doesn't appear to be any serial number or any other form of identification. One book says he rode a BSA competitively but I don't know if this bike is a BSA. The crank, rims and tires are not original as you may have guessed. There are some amazing stories about the team. There was not enough room in the car for all the members of the team so they had to take turns drafting behind the car on the way to LA.

Old 07-01-18, 02:51 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I’m sorry I can’t be of help, but I just want to say you have a very old and beautiful bike with a nice story. If it’s been repainted many times, maybe it’s worth trying to repaint it professionally. After stripping the paint off there could be markings on the tubes or on the lugs that may provide leads to identifying the maker. But wait for more educated advice from vintage connoisseurs before doing any work to it, though.
Old 07-01-18, 02:55 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I’d have a pair of wooden Ghisallo rims laced to some sexy vintage hubs built for it, that’s for sure
Old 07-01-18, 06:11 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Can you show the drive side and the seat stays at the seat tube? Bike looks to me like a CCM flyer. @clubman or @T-Mar might know better....
Old 07-01-18, 06:23 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I agree - a CCM Flyer or, perhaps, Road Racer. My 1939? Road Racer which I could not afford to restore..
Old 07-01-18, 08:02 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Looks like an early Road Flyer to me. The drilled rear brake bridge and track ends are a little diffferent, I found this 1930 Flyer online that has the same seat cluster. Later Flyers had open ended seatstays.

Old 07-01-18, 08:48 AM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seboros
I’m sorry I can’t be of help, but I just want to say you have a very old and beautiful bike with a nice story. If it’s been repainted many times, maybe it’s worth trying to repaint it professionally. After stripping the paint off there could be markings on the tubes or on the lugs that may provide leads to identifying the maker. But wait for more educated advice from vintage connoisseurs before doing any work to it, though.
I agree it would be beautiful repainted as the photos above show. But the owner tells me the blue paint was applied by Glen Robbins himself so there is some sentimental and historical value there. Under the chips it looks like grey or cream paint was the original.

Originally Posted by seboros
I’d have a pair of wooden Ghisallo rims laced to some sexy vintage hubs built for it, that’s for sure
Talking with the owner yesterday that's exactly his wish.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I agree - a CCM Flyer or, perhaps, Road Racer. My 1939? Road Racer which I could not afford to restore..
^That is a nice bike; I'd be inclined just to give it a good cleaning and enjoy it as is. Thank you both, yes it looks like a CCM. The fact the crankset is a CCM but not original to the bike may have been a false clue. Apparently there is a box of cranks so the original may exist but I imagine in those days bikes were ridden hard and worn and damaged parts changed out frequently. Not like today where pro bikes are practically disposable.

I'll have a closer look at the head tube. If it shows possible evidence of a diamond-shaped head badge was once there that would be a clincher, no pun intended.
Old 07-01-18, 09:03 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Loog for the serial number around the seat lugs, That would clinch it.
Old 07-01-18, 09:50 AM
markk900

Reason I thought Flyer is that this bike (and the team) went to the Olympics so I would have assumed the pure track racer rather than the road racer frame. Also the cranks, though supposedly not original (and why is that the assumption) are not cottered so would also indicate the CCM Flyer bottom bracket. Look on the headset for CCM stampings; as clubman said the frame number should be around the seat post/lug though may be under a lot of paint.

here’s my Road Racer (38). Note the cottered cranks and the fork ends (if you can see them)

Last edited by markk900; 07-01-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 10:05 AM
markk900

Here’s a link to a catalog page for the 1932 Flyer.... there may not have been a headbadge as the catalog says “transfer”, and the crank would have been different (but still ccm). I didn’t realize Glen was a Canadian Olympian so that would suggest even more strongly he’d ride a CCM.

Vintage CCM | forum | 1932 CCM Flyer
Old 07-01-18, 10:19 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

I agree that it's a Flyer, mainly because of the birdsmouth lugs. In later years, the 'pencil' seat stays were thinner as well, so a measurement of their diameter would help. My catalogue scans are incomplete but by the mid 30's CCM offered a Road Flyer and a Professional Flyer that was custom built, maybe by Doc Morton. An Olympic bike would likely be custom made and of better quality than the retail offerings. Perhaps there's no serial number on these builds.
Old 07-01-18, 10:22 AM
markk900

Sorry to be a bit obsessive here, but the OP’s bike is really cool. Found a picture of the 1932 team and Glen is for sure riding a CCM.

https://goo.gl/images/ZHGF5r
Old 07-01-18, 10:35 AM
holden west

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Came across this pic of Torchy Peden's restored CCM; I didn't realize the crankset with the integrated CCM letters were used on pro bikes, Peden was the LA 32 coach. He later sold sporting goods specializing in CCM so yes, the connection is solid. Although I am a little confused to the difference between what the catalog calls the transfer and the nameplate. Thanks, the catalog page is gold.
Old 07-01-18, 01:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Pretty sure Transfer is the decalling. Usually CCM Flyer on the top of the downtube and a circular CCM badge on either downtube or seatube.
Old 07-01-18, 10:50 PM
holden west

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a photo of the drivetrain. The crankarm says CCM in very small letters. The pedals are marked Phillips Made in England.:

Last edited by holden west; 07-01-18 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 04:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Agreed, this is a CCM product. Besides the racing version of the CCM Triplex crankset, it has a CCM headset. However, the logo chainring is a later addition and would be incorrect for 1932. Everything I can see is pointing towards a CCM Flyer. The definitive test for a Flyer is to measure the diameter of the seat post. Due to the thinner tubing used on a Flyer, it requires a larger diameter seat post, typically 1-1/16" versus the 7/8" used on the Road Racer. My only concern is the apparent lack of rivet holes for the head badge, when the extant photo of the 1932 Olympic team shows what appears to be a head badge.
Old 07-02-18, 07:44 AM
holden west

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you all again. The family is very grateful for this information.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Agreed, this is a CCM product. Besides the racing version of the CCM Triplex crankset, it has a CCM headset. However, the logo chainring is a later addition and would be incorrect for 1932.
That fits with the owner's belief that the crank was not original although that pushed him to think it was not a CCM because of that. But the truth seems to be it was simply a crank from another year. He still has a few of Glen's cranks--what specifically should he be looking for in case the original is still there?

Originally Posted by T-Mar
My only concern is the apparent lack of rivet holes for the head badge, when the extant photo of the 1932 Olympic team shows what appears to be a head badge.
I went back and we examined it closely for exactly that purpose. Under the thick paint I detected a small hole on one side of the head tube and a very tiny nub of sharp metal like the shank of a sheared rivet. They are located exactly where the horizontal ends of the diamond shaped badge would be in photos.

My only concern is noting the team photo of Robbins shows a CCM that is smaller than the one shown in my photos if you examine the space between the top tube and down tube. Also interesting to note how unusually far his handlebars are tilted up.
Old 07-02-18, 09:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The crankarms are correct, it is only the chainring that is not. The correct chainrings are as pictured, though these appear to be chrome plated, as opposed to the correct nickel plating that would have been used in 1932.

Regarding the frame size, I notice that Robbins competed in three events at the 1932 Olympics, one being the individual road race. It was not unknown for riders to use a larger frame size for road events and though it was fairly rare at the time, I'm wondering if he may have used two different bicycles? Depending on his preferred rear brake, that might explain the orientation of what appears to be a drilled hole in the seat stay bridge.