Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

What are the opinions on the 1st/2nd Ave bikeways in NYC?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

What are the opinions on the 1st/2nd Ave bikeways in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 12:33 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Question; do you use a mirror?

I work and live in midtown. I use the 1st and 2nd av paths a lot; I don't have any problems.
I'm always scanning, for cars, other cyclists, peds about to cross, pigeons, etc. I don't use
a mirror so I'm used to turning my head in every direction:
Old 07-09-18, 01:39 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Nope, no mirror. But that's the problem, the parked cars and trucks block the view of the turning cars. You don't see them coming and they don't see you. It is definitely worse on 1st than 2nd, except for the tunnel entrance of course which is another mess.

I just had an idea though. How about if there was a red left arrow at the smaller intersections and only a flashing red AFTER the light has changed for the cross traffic? This assumes the bikes stop at the red, which we know they don't, but at least I'll know that when I have a green it is truly clear. There really isn't much cross traffic on 1st as there is no further for it to go. This would also keep the timing for cyclists and through traffic the same.
Old 07-09-18, 02:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
8th Ave has red arrows up to 20-something street, and they kinda help, but then there are no more north of that, and I don't know why. But it shortens the length of each cycle since there are now three instead of two.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-09-18, 04:22 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe what they need to do is give bicycles the green light first

New safety program
Old 07-09-18, 05:18 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by noglider
8th Ave has red arrows up to 20-something street, and they kinda help, but then there are no more north of that, and I don't know why. But it shortens the length of each cycle since there are now three instead of two.
But maybe if they left it at two cycles with a left on flashing red? This being NYC it would never work.
Old 07-09-18, 07:17 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm all for adding in the 3-cycle signals like the ones in Chelsea (and in the east side at 14th). Unfortunately, it takes a lot to get the city to put those in though, like being sued for wrongful death, and you are correct that most cyclists ignore them anyway.
Old 07-09-18, 07:33 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by punkinevil
and you are correct that most cyclists ignore them anyway.
and therein lies a big problem. Cyclists are seen as public enemy #1 .
Old 07-09-18, 09:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by punkinevil
most cyclists ignore them anyway.
Not all of us. There is a sizable fraction that defers to the left-turning vehicles and even crosses behind them and onto their right sides so they can turn left and we can proceed. It's a fairly easy dance that benefits everyone, so it's catching on.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-12-18, 06:48 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Not 2nd Ave, but related to the bike lane discussion: fatal accident on a bike lane 2 days ago on CPW. Some of you may have read about it. There is a thread on A&S forum.

The crash “is an exemplar for why protected bike lanes are safer,” wrote Nicolas Lawson, who rode by the scene on a bike and sent the photo below of the livery cab. “The current bike lane is a transient zone for cars going to and from the curb and not a safe place for cyclists.”

“On the same ride home I saw a pickup truck force a Citibike commuter into a parked car at 60th and less than a half a mile later I came across this. From there to 93rd st I counted how many times I was forced into the middle traffic lane by cars parking, picking up, or turning. Four times in a mile I made the same decision that cost this person their life.”
Old 08-14-18, 09:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

In the local TV news video, a woman said the bike lane was well intended but badly designed. She's right. And it's a point that most people will not comprehend. Sometimes when you want to do something pro-bike, the best action is NOT to build a bike lane. That's counter-intuitive.

Old 08-18-18, 02:50 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by noglider
In the local TV news video, a woman said the bike lane was well intended but badly designed. She's right. And it's a point that most people will not comprehend. Sometimes when you want to do something pro-bike, the best action is NOT to build a bike lane. That's counter-intuitive.
And this is why I posted this in the first place.
Old 08-19-18, 07:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@zacster, can we put our heads together and think of some kind of education or signage that signifies to cyclists and motorists that bikes belong while not carving out space especially for cyclists? Sharrows seemed like a good idea, but I'm not convinced.

Old 08-19-18, 03:48 PM
zacster

We can only try.

And another bike lane screwup. Vanderbilt Avenue in Brooklyn had sharrows in both directions from Fulton Street to Flushing Avenue. In the last week however, they erased the sharrows and installed a bike lane in one direction only, narrowing the Fulton bound direction. They put a lane on a parallel street going the other way, but this ends without any bike connection with Vanderbilt from Fulton to Prospect Park, the only through street in the area. I can tell you from experience that nobody will use the parallel street, not that it was bad, it just ends in the construction around Atlantic Ave, not a good place to be on a bike. Everybody I know was comfortable on Vanderbilt the way it was, now it's narrower on one side, and no better off for the riders going the other way with a painted lane. I just don't get it.
Old 10-24-18, 10:04 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
According tothere is a project to build protected bike lane along 2nd Ave; hopefully it's not just for 59~68 st:

2nd Avenue Protected Bike Lane Update – Analysis of 2017 Project and Proposal for 68th St to 59th StNYC DOT updated Community Board 6 on its efforts to create a continuous protected bike lane along 2nd Avenue in Manhattan, including analysis of the project that was installed last year between 42nd St and 43rd St, and its current proposal for 68th St to 59th St. The proposed design includes a curbside buffered bike lane that is parking protected during off-peak hours and a new crossing for pedestrians and cyclists along the east side of 2nd Avenue at the Queensboro Bridge entrance.