Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Italian lug sets...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Italian lug sets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 01:35 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
These are supposed to be Bossi lugs. but they look like early Nervex, especially the one on the left.
I believe the one on the right is Italian (Agrati?), a knock-off of the Nervex Professional. Very crude and poorly finished in comparison to the Nervex. If the Italians had that lug shape first and it was Nervex who copied them, then I apologize for calling it a knock-off, but the Italian lugs really are crap quality compared to the Nervex.

The middle one is an older Nervex Pro (top tube), distinguished by the front of the head tube socket having those vampire fangs (not the official term, just what I call 'em). Early '50s I believe. Note how much finer the fangs are on the Nervex (middle) compared to the Italian lug (right). Not hard to tell the difference after you've looked at a few of them.

The one on the left is the later and more common Nervex Pro (down tube), distinguished by the front of the HT having a "whale tail" (again, my term, not official). The lug you've seen on so many PX-10s, Raleigh Internationals, Gitane TdFs, Mondias, Paramounts, etc etc. Even the occasional Masi.

We still have some FBs who were around back then (Norris Lockley comes to mind) who can probably tell us when Nervex transitioned to the whale tail in front. Norris has, in the past, referred to them as Type I and Type II Nervex Pro. Of Nervex-lugged frames still around today, whale tails (Type II) probably outnumber vampire fangs (Type I) by a thousand to one.

Mark B
Old 05-10-20, 05:01 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
French Lugs

Mark, thanks for the little tidbits.

I was thinking of this website when I posted my last message: Nervex Professional lugs

It goes into detail on the history of Nervex Professional lugs.

During the bike boom, we thought that Nervex lugs looked frumpy and old fashioned. Long point Italian style lugs were the hot ticket.

Gitane used these long point Prugnat Type S lugs on their better models during those years.

Colnago used Prugnat Type 62D lugs.

I now have at least 10 bikes with Nervex Professional lugs... Fashions change.

Then there's Oscar Egg lugs but I don't know if they were ever used on Italian frames??? https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk.../oscaregg.html

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-10-20 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:18 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Malaguti

-----

stumbled upon some information on this manufacturer in the course of today's web wander...

here is an illustration of a lug ensemble from the maker from a publication dated 1949 -

this entry has information on the firm, their people, history & products. founding was 1930:

MALAGUTI - FRAMETELLER

-----