Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trouble with chafing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trouble with chafing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 11:45 AM
lupy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trouble with chafing

I need some help guys! Now that I'm trying to increase my miles I'm struggling with chafing. I've been fit and I've also recently found a saddle that I find comfortable. Now my problem is chafing. I have 3 different brand bibs and they all rub me the wrong way.

**warning yucky details below**

I've developed a blister in the crease of my leg and umm. . . perineum. This one honestly isn't too bad on rides less than 2 hours. I also chafe where the pad folds over and rubs against the jewels. Today there was blood and my ride was only slightly longer than 1 hour. I've been trying to use chamois butter, but that obviously hasn't worked. Today I'm going to pick up some body glide which should hopefully help.

I'm hoping you guys can help me find a longer term solution so I can learn from your mistakes and stop making my own. I'm borderline small/medium sizes, and I've just always bought mediums because they typically always fit (us sizes short and thick body type). Should I try sizing down? My bib straps honestly don't seem to be doing much, and aren't even tight when I stand straight up. Is it just that I haven't found the "one" bib for me yet? Does this happen to most newbies and I just need to wait for my skin to toughen up? I'm really hoping that its not my saddle because that actually feels good. I don't think its my seat height either because my fitter told me that based off my flexibility (or whatever they go by) I could still move up a few MM's, but I'm at the max height for my seat post.

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for the gory details. Let me know if you want any more info.
Old 12-12-15, 12:00 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
It might not be your bib. If there is pressure in your perineum you might be seated too far forward in your saddle, in which case your bike might be a tad too big for you.The pressure should be on your sit bones--on either side of the tender area and further back.

Personally, unless it's a 3+ hours ride for me, I can get away with even not having cycling shorts with chamois. And when I do wear shorts/tights with chamois I'm not too particular about.
Old 12-12-15, 12:13 PM
lupy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
It might not be your bib. If there is pressure in your perineum you might be seated too far forward in your saddle, in which case your bike might be a tad too big for you.The pressure should be on your sit bones--on either side of the tender area and further back.

Personally, unless it's a 3+ hours ride for me, I can get away with even not having cycling shorts with chamois. And when I do wear shorts/tights with chamois I'm not too particular about.
I don't have issues with pressure that I notice anymore. I haven't tried riding longer than 5 minutes w/o a chamois, but those 5 minutes feel fine. I am still trying to tweak my position on the saddle and move it fore and aft, but now those are very minor movements. Should I try doing a session w/o a big to notice any extra pressure?
Old 12-12-15, 12:13 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Ideas: you may need bibs with a thinner chamois. Also think about saddle tilt or lack of tilt. You may need to sit a bit further forward and setting the saddle minutely down by the nose may help. If the straps on the bibs are not snug enough, try hand stitching them a bit shorter as a trial. I one had a pair of shorts that seemed to fit well and were comfortable but caused chaffing. Nothing I was able to try helped. Eventually I had to throw them out.
Old 12-12-15, 12:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
TryThis

Old 12-12-15, 12:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I wouldn't put petroleum based products anywhere near my expensive cycling clothing. That's just me though.

Body Glide is made for runners, swimmers, cyclists and triathletes. $10 and one or two sticks last all year. Get it at running stores, LBS, Dicks/Academy/Sports Authority, etc. Problem solved.

https://www.bodyglide.com/

@lupy, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Many cyclists go through this. You can try all the different clothing in the world but at the end of the day the product above is cheap and just works. Every triathlete in the world uses it. I have two sticks. One is used only for the perianal area to avoid cross-contamination. The other is for anywhere else that gives me trouble.

Hope it helps.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-12-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 01:07 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chamois Butt'r is what I use. Makes a world of difference for me especially on those long winter indoor trainer rides that I put myself through.
Old 12-12-15, 02:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It may not be the bibs. It's not the grease. It's probably the saddle. You may need a saddle that necks down more quickly. I've had that identical problem more than once. What you have may be "comfortable" but it may be unusable for you. The saddle also has to have a smooth, gradual roll-off into the skirt.

To see what I mean about necking down quickly, see these two posts:
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-yo...l#post18338346
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-yo...l#post18310083

If it is the bibs, you need a smaller size. They should be hard to put on, very tight on the thighs and should have to be tugged up into your crotch. May just be too much loose material between your legs.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 12-12-15 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 02:06 PM
lupy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up some bodyglide and returned 2 medium bibs for smalls. I personally feel bad for returning things like that, but that's why I'll spend more (although typically it's just as cheap) to shop at performance bike. Their return policy is amazing!
Old 12-12-15, 08:21 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I wouldn't put petroleum based products anywhere near my expensive cycling clothing. That's just me though.

Body Glide is made for runners, swimmers, cyclists and triathletes. $10 and one or two sticks last all year. Get it at running stores, LBS, Dicks/Academy/Sports Authority, etc. Problem solved.

@lupy, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Many cyclists go through this. You can try all the different clothing in the world but at the end of the day the product above is cheap and just works. Every triathlete in the world uses it. I have two sticks. One is used only for the perianal area to avoid cross-contamination. The other is for anywhere else that gives me trouble.

Hope it helps.

-Tim-
+1 Body Glide FTW. Been using it on that same area for years.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-12-15, 08:36 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
May be the saddle is too wide.
Old 12-12-15, 09:28 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I'm a woman but I will have similar problems with certain chamois when I'm riding my TT bike. I love riding my TT bike. I love my saddle. I love my fit, which was done by an excellent fitter.

BUT I must wear my Castelli shorts or skinsuit when riding this bike, or else. So much so that I won't ride the TT bike with any other chamois.

Trek shorts + endurance road bike + Stella Diva saddle = 200 miles, no problem
Castelli shorts + TT bike + Cobb Fifty Five saddle = happiness is a TT bike
Trek short + TT bike + Cobb Fifty Five = miserable
Old 12-12-15, 09:58 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple years ago. The saddle that was fine for 100-140 miles a week wasn't cutting it for a 450-mile week.

I swapped for a saddle with a slightly wider butt (the wide part) and side skirts. Light and minimal saddles are fine for athletes with 5% body fat, but the rest of us need a bit more protection down there.
Old 12-13-15, 07:45 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Hope it helps.

-Tim-
Agreed.
If I know there is even a chance I may sweat on my upcoming ride I won't wear my expensive cycling clothing.
Same thing if it is going to be sunny out. The harmful effects of the suns rays are catastrophic to Assos bibs.
I read that on line 3, paragraph 8, section 2 of their care tag.
All the best garments have the most instructions on their care tags btw.
Old 12-13-15, 01:33 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely wear the smallest shorts you can. That makes a big difference for me. I find that even in winter when I'm wearing bibs + tights that I'm more prone to having problems. Any extra fabric down there is killer.

I'm a small guy and I found that even small isn't small enough for me in some brands (Pearl Izumi, Performance brand stuff, etc.). I've had good luck with Santini and Bellwether lately.
Old 12-13-15, 02:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Agreed.
If I know there is even a chance I may sweat on my upcoming ride I won't wear my expensive cycling clothing.
Same thing if it is going to be sunny out. The harmful effects of the suns rays are catastrophic to Assos bibs.
You are a very sick individual and need psychological counseling.
Old 12-13-15, 02:42 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Agreed.
Huh? How do you ride and not sweat? Is there a joke that I missed?
I live and ride in Florida so sweat and sun are not optional. I also have Assos in my rotation as well as PI and Performance. There has never been an issue with sun or sweat damage.
I must have missed something.
OP.. Try using Chamois Butter,glide or similar before buying any other shorts or saddles. The stuff is awesome.
Old 12-13-15, 05:11 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following manufacturer's care instructions and taking care of expensive cycling clothing is no joke my friend.
Old 12-13-15, 06:16 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Definitely wear the smallest shorts you can. That makes a big difference for me. I find that even in winter when I'm wearing bibs + tights that I'm more prone to having problems. Any extra fabric down there is killer.

I'm a small guy and I found that even small isn't small enough for me in some brands (Pearl Izumi, Performance brand stuff, etc.). I've had good luck with Santini and Bellwether lately.
would adding tights really contribute to chafing problem? they are not in direct contact with the skin right?