Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New CAAD 12 Dura Ace in Purple?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 09:05 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

I know the issue of bicycle companies limiting colors and in some case possibly just bad offerings, but...

The new Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace is Purple(?) It's a great bike with great specs, but doesn't that choice of color really limit the amount of people who would be considering that model?

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-27-16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-25-16, 09:27 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Great looking bike. Would take that over yet another black bike in a heartbeat.
Old 11-25-16, 09:41 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I had to look. Personally - yuck. I could see a dark purple - but that to my eye is hideous on a men's bike. To each their own obviously.
Old 11-25-16, 09:48 AM
PepeM

Oh yes, tobacco or onyx only for rugged men.
Old 11-25-16, 09:54 AM
PepeM

It's no Allez Sprint of course.

Old 11-25-16, 10:27 AM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its an easy fix, op. Just kill some deer and use their blood to re-paint the bike, its a real color for real men.
Old 11-25-16, 07:48 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by mzr
Its an easy fix, op. Just kill some deer and use their blood to re-paint the bike, its a real color for real men.
Lol.

I understand to each his own. I'm sure that color will appeal to some. I am no fan of black bikes. But... I just don't see them selling a whole lot of them in that color.
Old 11-25-16, 08:48 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
They aren't looking at a volume seller there, at the Dura Ace level it isn't going to be made in great numbers since an alloy framed bike with top end components is aimed at a small segment of roadies.

I'd take one if I was in the market for a DA equipped bike, my 2012 CAAD10 is a level 4 (upgraded to Ultegra 6800)in the blue and orange Gulf Oil Racing colourway, its bright and different. As said above, its not another murdered out black look alike. that gives it big points IMHO.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-25-16, 11:08 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
They aren't looking at a volume seller there, at the Dura Ace level it isn't going to be made in great numbers since an alloy framed bike with top end components is aimed at a small segment of roadies.

I'd take one if I was in the market for a DA equipped bike, my 2012 CAAD10 is a level 4 (upgraded to Ultegra 6800)in the blue and orange Gulf Oil Racing colourway, its bright and different. As said above, its not another murdered out black look alike. that gives it big points IMHO.

Bill
Bill,

Understood. When everything boils down to it... it's the connection between the rider and the bike. With that said, I posted a link to a CL seller who is claiming to be a dealer and selling last years model for $2200 in the Hot Deals sub forum. If I had to choose between the two, I'm going with last years config.

I will agree with the shout out against black bikes.
Old 11-26-16, 12:13 AM
morfeeis

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Not something I would buy for me at all.
Old 11-26-16, 03:15 AM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
A cunning plan to get you to stump up the extra dollars for the CAAD12 Black Inc.
Old 11-26-16, 07:35 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Bill,

Understood. When everything boils down to it... it's the connection between the rider and the bike.....snip
You hit it square with this statement, we each make our decisions, for me its better to choose based on my personal taste, and not what the vast majority of riders is trying to look like. I am far past being a racer, health issues have dictated this. I accept it and still greatly enjoy my cycling. Nothing wrong with your choice or what you like in a colourway, besides that is absolutely none of my business. Actually, it should be my choice to support you in your decision related to your cycling (but if you ever choose a murdered out matte black bike it will be really tough to bite my tongue about that one.)

Bill

Old 11-26-16, 02:12 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd like to see some out-in-the-world photos before passing judgement, that lighting in the stock photo is not doing the bike any favors
Old 11-26-16, 06:57 PM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I know the issue of bicycle companies limiting colors and in some case possibly just bad offerings, but...

The new Cannondale CADD 12 Dura Ace is Purple(?) It's a great bike with great specs, but doesn't that choice of color really limit the amount of people who would be considering that model?
No, because the people who would be considering that bike don't make colour a priority. That's a serious bike. My guess is it will attract serious riders with different priorities.
Old 11-26-16, 11:46 PM
Dreww10

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I'd argue that. A rim brake, mechanical Dura-Ace CAAD12 that isn't purple priced at ~$2,800 would definitely sell. And it would no doubt be the crit bike to end all crit bikes. The CAAD12 Ultegra at $2,200 (which most folks with a good relationship with their LBS can get for less than 2k) is already the best bike for the money out there, but it'd be great for more serious riders to have a little higher-end option without spending carbon-bike money for the Black Inc.
Old 11-27-16, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Not wanting to argue with anyone about anything, you could be right if the sales numbers reflect that the top end 2 models approach the number of units sold for the 105 and Ultegra models. I agree that the Ultegra component level is hands down the best buy out there, look at my bike in the avatar and screen name block.

Perhaps someone will come up with the sales figures from Cannondale for the various CAAD12 models at the different build levels so that a base line can be established. Then you need to get racing license numbers and race vent numbers for the different models, also. Should be interesting to see what that would reveal. I will be at my LBS this week, I can ask the owner if he would share what sales numbers Cannondale/Doral released, just out of curiosity.

Bill

Also, I doubt that folks actually seriously racing a CAAD12 would much care about the color if it did the job. If a frameset and wheels does the job it will get purchased by the racing buyers.

Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-27-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 07:34 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis

Not something I would buy for me at all.
Personally, I think it's a great looking bike. Although I come from a generation that remembers all the neon themed team bikes too.....
Old 11-27-16, 11:15 AM
Dreww10

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Not wanting to argue with anyone about anything, you could be right if the sales numbers reflect that the top end 2 models approach the number of units sold for the 105 and Ultegra models. I agree that the Ultegra component level is hands down the best buy out there, look at my bike in the avatar and screen name block.

Perhaps someone will come up with the sales figures from Cannondale for the various CAAD12 models at the different build levels so that a base line can be established. Then you need to get racing license numbers and race vent numbers for the different models, also. Should be interesting to see what that would reveal. I will be at my LBS this week, I can ask the owner if he would share what sales numbers Cannondale/Doral released, just out of curiosity.

Bill

Also, I doubt that folks actually seriously racing a CAAD12 would much care about the color if it did the job. If a frameset and wheels does the job it will get purchased by the racing buyers.
There was a CAAD10 Dura-Ace in 2011, priced at $3,120. The fact that it didn't return to the lineup may be telling of sales, but IMO, the price is a touch high. For that kind of money, I think most would spend a little more and buy carbon all day long.
Old 11-27-16, 11:27 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Of course it is all a question of personal taste and for full disclosure I actually have a purple bike (with lime green lettering!) In my case, I was interested in the bike and put up with the color. I imagine a lot of CAAD 12 buyers with do the same. If I were in the business of selling bikes, though, I would certainly try to offer more than one color; I'd hate to drive away that customer who can't stand purple.

On the other hand, I wonder if they're not trying to cash in on a certain kind of snob appeal. To the image conscious buyer the fact that you can easily tell it's the DA model by the color might be a plus.

Of course, in the end Bill's blue and orange color scheme is the prettiest one they've made!
Old 11-28-16, 06:42 PM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In July I bought last year's CAAD12, SRAM Red 22. It's light grey with orange highlights. I love everything about this bike. I would've been satisfied with 105, and didn't plan to get more than Ultegra, but in this case the color combo was an enticement to buy more groupset than I needed or wanted. This bike weighed 15.8 lbs. when I got it. Anything under 19 would've been an upgrade over what I had.

But I would buy something else if all I could get was THAT purple. Dear God, that's sickening. The people at Cannondale are lousy at picking colors. That piss green they chose for the team color is revolting.
Old 11-29-16, 08:27 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I feel compelled to mention that the bike looks magenta to me, not purple

The picture looks awfully overexposed, so the actual color might look a lot different in real life.

I think it's hot. I'm biased though, my bike is magenta. I'm all for companies taking risks with color. Too many all-black bikes out there.
Old 11-29-16, 08:45 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like it! I'd ride a purple or pink bike in a hot second. I'm a fan of the Miami Vice colors from the late 80s, and unconventional colors in general. Almost everyone has a black bike, all murdered out and matte. They aren't that enjoyable to look at.
Old 11-29-16, 11:13 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Im one that will eliminate a particular bike bue to the color in a second or less. I use to ride a purple bike many years ago. Would ride that Cannondale with no regrets. On a purple bike, neon high viz helmet, decked out in traffic cone orange. NO, I'm NOT kidding. I want to be as bright and hard not to see as possible on the road.

But I agree with the others. Can't tell what color it really is from the pathetic excuse of a photo.
Old 11-30-16, 11:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I had the option of either matte black or matte purple on my fat bike. Went with purple. No regrets.
Old 11-30-16, 11:49 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I get the impression that, occasionally, a manufacturer will put out a "top end" bike in a hiddeous color for the sole purpose of allowing the rider/buyer to say, "hey, see this ugly-colored bike? - that means I spent a lot for this bike with upgraded options" without actually having to speak the words, "hey, see this ugly-colored bike? - that means I spent a lot for this bike with upgraded options" ...just my impression.

I recall last year (or earlier this year) Specialized put out a high-end bike that was colored bubble gum pink. Whatever. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla - get what you like!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.