Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

has anyone ever switched from car or motorcycle racing to pedal bike racing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-05-17, 07:07 AM
ajcjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This summer i start mtb riding again, so happy i did as i really missed it. I also just sold my road racing car and was wondering if some pedal type racing will give me the fix i am looking for. I love being in a car but some of the long weekends at the track for short times in the car were getting to me, costs go up every year (not to say pedal bike racing would be cheap), i have a dirt bike i ride but i am interested in enduro downhill and cyclecross. Curious if anyone ever made the switch and find a new love.

Happy New Year!

AC
Old 01-05-17, 07:48 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
IMO it's a strange comparison..."apples, oranges, and carrots"...or any other three completely unrelated inanimate objects.

Dan
Old 01-05-17, 09:01 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I know a couple rally guys who also bike competitively. Granted, they still have their cars.

Competition is competition, the car or the bike is just a means to competition. And yes, comparatively, pedal bike racing is MUCH cheaper than car racing at any sort of higher amateur level.
Old 01-05-17, 06:45 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
ajcjr , what kind of car(s) have you had (have) . What association (club) do you belong to ? In the early 80s' I was in the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and WCAR (West Coast Atlantic Racers) first I had a Formula Ford Lola then a Formula Atlantic Ralt . Before that I raced Moto Cross and Speedway . All in Southern California . don't race bicycles though I think I'm all raced out .
Old 01-05-17, 08:19 PM
ajcjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
ajcjr , what kind of car(s) have you had (have) . What association (club) do you belong to ? In the early 80s' I was in the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and WCAR (West Coast Atlantic Racers) first I had a Formula Ford Lola then a Formula Atlantic Ralt . Before that I raced Moto Cross and Speedway . All in Southern California . don't race bicycles though I think I'm all raced out .

Mark, i ran an nhra stock elim for a few years, raced karts for 5 years and recently raced a SCCA spec racer ford. I also ride motocross but dont race. I guess the competitive spirit in my head may want to have some competition on two wheels lol.
Old 01-06-17, 12:11 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never raced competitively but did do autocross and track days. Cost to be competitive was too much for me but I always enjoyed the sound of a good engine and the feel of the car at rhythm; the suspension setting in and the satisfaction of a well executed heel-toe blip and shift. I don't race bikes primarily because I'm way too out of shape but I do draw similarities to enthusiastic driving when going hard on the road bike, especially around the twisties.

Head down pounding on a downslope, move to left for the upcoming right, downshift, off the seat, brake, lean in, counter lean hitting the apex, back onto the seat pumping as you exit wide.

Not exactly the same as in the car but the feeling is familiar, yes.
Old 01-09-17, 08:47 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My last SCCA road race was back in 2006. I've never done a bike race, although I wonder if it would match the intensity of an all out car road race. The noise, the acceleration, the thrill.

Granted bike racing should be much, much cheaper.
Old 01-09-17, 08:49 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't race but rode a motocross motorcycle through high school and part of college. I started riding bicycles in college, sold my motorcycle and never looked back! Cycling is more fun and lot better exercise!
Old 01-09-17, 09:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I took up cycling in my late 30's and did one crit but that's it. I haven't raced but have been on the track on a motorcycle and have ridden everywhere over the past 40 yrs. The one thing that I find similar between cycling and moto is knowing the right line to take in a corner, braking on a 2-wheeled vehicle and the general dynamics of 2-wheeled vehicles....things like counter-steering and front and rear braking.
Old 01-09-17, 09:55 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
My old roommate did both. Raced cat 2 bikes, and won a National "superbike" type title. (Can't remember the specifics)

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-10-17, 08:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I know a couple rally guys who also bike competitively. Granted, they still have their cars.

Competition is competition, the car or the bike is just a means to competition. And yes, comparatively, pedal bike racing is MUCH cheaper than car racing at any sort of higher amateur level.
Exactly correct.

I use to do some auto racing but when I did that I ran which was cheap, buy a pair of decent running shoes and off a person could go; but once my knees started to ache from running along with my pocketbook from auto racing I switched to bikes. I quit auto racing back in the late 70's, and quit running early 80's, for a short 3 year span between the very late 70's and very early 80's I tried triathlons but found out I was terrible swimmer which ruined any attempt to compete at a higher level. I never did motorcycle racing.