Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for entry level road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 04:44 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I'm planning on buying a new road bike, I was looking for something with 11-32 at least 9 speed, alloy frame with carbon blade fork, and possibly disc brakes. My budget is about $500 - $800 . Any good suggestions for a decent entry level road bike? Thanks.
Old 03-21-17, 04:55 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Your price level is a bit low. Have you visited any bike shops?
One possibility is a leftover 2016 (or 2015) Jamis Ventura Comp. Jamis makes some great bikes.
Another possibility is the Giant Contend 1.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-21-17, 05:00 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez, CAAD Optimo, Giant Contend. Pick a brand, they will have something.
Old 03-21-17, 05:28 PM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Raleigh Merit 3 back in November for under $700. I've been happy with it but anything is better then what I had. I searched for used ones for a few months but pulled the trigger on it since it was pretty good deal. Shimano 105 11sp Drivetrain.

Last edited by edawg55; 03-21-17 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 05:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Lots of used bike options. Keep an eye open.

BikesDirect also has some deals. Mixed reviews, but not everyone has tried them either.
Old 03-21-17, 06:07 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Soon, many bike shops will have their annual "trade" day/weekend. customers pay a small fee to bring in their under used bikes to sell, funds go to a new bike or seller's pocket. Often lightly used bikes can be found at these sales, have found a couple great deals at these.
Old 03-21-17, 06:23 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Your best option is using the Diamondback or Raleigh corporate codes that around out there.

There are several excellent models under $800. Heck you could get the 2017 Merit 3 for $750 shipped to your door. It's a crazy deal for a thru-axle disc road bike with Shimano 105 11-speed and TRP spyre brakes.

https://www.raleighusa.com/merit-159

Merit 2 is $479
https://www.raleighusa.com/merit-152

The 2016 model Merits are on sale for even less.

If you don't want disc you can get something like the Super Course for $569: https://www.raleighusa.com/merit-152

You could even get a fendered Clubman for $659: https://www.raleighusa.com/clubman-alloy-1420
Old 03-21-17, 09:34 PM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey RM. Having gone through the same "entry level road bike" research & decision in the past year I thought I'd add 2 cents. Other posters have already provided solid recommendations so I won't repeat the same. I was one who used the Raleigh corporate codes to grab a Merit 3 at $750, but I worked with my LBS to fit it, customize it, add accessories, etc., and it's worked out very well. I actually think your decision should be based not so much on this bike but perhaps the next bike. If you think you're going to want to upgrade to a higher level road bike within a few years, it might be smart to spend <$1,000 for your first road bike. Conversely, if you think you'll stick with whatever bike you get for more than a few years, it might be wise to go to the $1,200 to $1,750 range or higher and get a better bike. I took the first (lower price) approach because 1) the Raleigh was a great deal, 2) I might upgrade in a few years, and 3) in my case the limitation on performance is me (Clydesdale) not the bike so I felt that spending $2,000 was wasting money. As always, leverage your LBS and find something comfortable. Good luck!
Old 03-21-17, 10:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brands are secondary matters.

#1 find a bike shop you like, then get a bike from them.. service after the sale is worth it.
Old 03-22-17, 06:37 AM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing about ordering a bike from Raleigh is you take a chance because I'm pretty sure you can't return it. Make sure that you order the right size. I tried to find one locally to test it out but couldn't find one. If the box is really damage maybe don't accept the delivery or at least make the shipping company and Raleigh aware of it . Also Raleigh has bike shops that will build your bike for free. I think it just depends on where you live. I found a bike mechanic that works on the side and is teaching me how to fix things. Some bike shops give you free tune ups but try and sell ya stuff so that's a little annoying.
Old 03-22-17, 07:44 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Trek 1.1... can't go wrong, plus you can do minor replacements to saddle, pedals, tires and bar tape to make it even better over time without breaking the bank. I rode my 1.1 for 3 years before I got a Domane. Last year, I got the LBS to do a tuneup... replaced chain, rear brake pads/wiring, gear adjustment, new tires and now it's better than it was when it was new.
Old 03-22-17, 07:52 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Might be a bit late, but see if any bike shops around you have a spring sale going on, especially if you aren't married to the idea of having this year's models or colors or a particular model. My fiancee picked up a new 2015 Specialized Dolce on a whim on closeout a few weeks back for $525, which is more than enough bike for her. Past that, there are a few shops near me that sell used bikes they take on trade-on, that you could easily find something decent in your price range.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
#1 find a bike shop you like, then get a bike from them.. service after the sale is worth it.
Until the handful of shop you try out have no interest in selling you anything under the $1500 or so mark, when your budget is half that, and you give up.

Originally Posted by edawg55
The thing about ordering a bike from Raleigh is you take a chance because I'm pretty sure you can't return it.
Right on the top of the page: "Easy hassle free returns".
Old 03-22-17, 08:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Might be a bit late, but see if any bike shops around you have a spring sale going on, especially if you aren't married to the idea of having this year's models or colors or a particular model. My fiancee picked up a new 2015 Specialized Dolce on a whim on closeout a few weeks back for $525, which is more than enough bike for her. Past that, there are a few shops near me that sell used bikes they take on trade-on, that you could easily find something decent in your price range.

Until the handful of shop you try out have no interest in selling you anything under the $1500 or so mark, when your budget is half that, and you give up.

Returning a bicycle is not hassle free, usually involves packing the bike up and paying for shipping. If Raleigh has come up with an easier way, I am willing to listen.
Old 03-22-17, 08:18 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by MRT2
Returning a bicycle is not hassle free, usually involves packing the bike up and paying for shipping. If Raleigh has come up with an easier way, I am willing to listen.
Of course you have to repackage it with the materials that it was sent to you with, but a very simple look at the website would show you that return shipping is free.

https://www.raleighusa.com/returns/
Free Return Shipping
We’ve done everything we can think of to make returns hassle-free – including picking up shipping costs on returns.

We know it can take a minute to ensure everything is just right, so you have 30-days from the delivery date to try your new bike and send it back to us if it is not perfect.

Remember that any product you return must be in the same condition as you received it and be shipped in the original packaging. Not sure your return or exchange will pass this litmus test? Give us a ring at (888) 385-3415.
Old 03-22-17, 08:27 AM
MRT2

Of course you have to repackage it with the materials that it was sent to you with, but a very simple look at the website would show you that return shipping is free.

https://www.raleighusa.com/returns/
Well, that is better than some. Still a hassle to pack up a bicycle for shipping. It isn't like sending back a jersey or pair of shorts.

I am torn on this. Raleigh was a quality brand that seems to be evolving into an internet brand. My LBS that used to sell them doesn't have great things to say about them, but then again, that is sort of what you would expect.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-22-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 08:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by edawg55
The thing about ordering a bike from Raleigh is you take a chance because I'm pretty sure you can't return it.
A 1 min search keeps misinformation from spreading on the internet.
Return Policy | Raleigh Bikes
Old 03-22-17, 08:46 AM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought my Merit 3 back in November I chatted with a Raliegh employee and he told me no returns maybe it's changed or he didn't know what he was talking about. I haven't been on the site since then.
Old 03-22-17, 08:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Raleigh USA is one of the brands in my LBS, is it sold in Yours?
Old 03-22-17, 08:50 AM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A 1 min search keeps misinformation from spreading on the internet.
Return Policy | Raleigh Bikes
read up. LoL
Old 03-22-17, 08:55 AM
jefnvk

Well, that is better than some. Still a hassle to pack up a bicycle for shipping. It isn't like sending back a jersey or pair of shorts.

I am torn on this. Raleigh was a quality brand that seems to be evolving into an internet brand. My LBS that used to sell them doesn't have great things to say about them, but then again, that is sort of what you would expect.
All true. That said, if a couple weeks down the road you decide you don't like the bike you bought from the LBS, how many are going to turn around and give you an easy hassle free return (outside of a place like REI or Performance)?

Genuine question, I have no idea, but I'd imagine most are going to work you for some sort of trade value or store credit over a flat out return.
Old 03-22-17, 09:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Nope, sending a bike back isnt as easy as sending a jersey back. But that doesnt mean their policy is difficult.
What more would you realistically expect from a company to make returning a bike easier?
Old 03-22-17, 09:15 AM
MRT2

All true. That said, if a couple weeks down the road you decide you don't like the bike you bought from the LBS, how many are going to turn around and give you an easy hassle free return (outside of a place like REI or Performance)?

Genuine question, I have no idea, but I'd imagine most are going to work you for some sort of trade value or store credit over a flat out return.
For sure. The idea with the LBS is, you test ride a few bikes, figure out the size. Make all the adjustments to optimize fit. Bring it back for minor adjustments after a month or two. And bring it back at the end of the season for a free tuneup. That is what you are paying for.

Now, if you know exactly what you want (maybe you actually rode the exact make and model somewhere?), and either have the skills to assemble and adjust the bike yourself, then buying a bike over the internet makes sense.

The problem, and what I struggle with is, folks who will go to a bike shop, test ride a bunch of bikes, spend a lot of time in a bike shop, then go and buy a bike online. And I cannot imagine Raleigh dealers are happy that the company is selling bikes over the internet at 30% less than retail.
Old 03-22-17, 09:25 AM
dwg51357

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the same situation as you - wanted an entry-level road bike and didn't want to spend more than $600. We'd bought a Raleigh Cadent for my son at a LBS in Chicago last summer, and he's been very happy with it. So I started my search at the Raleigh USA site. Narrowed it down to a Merit. Visited a LBS that had one in stock to check out fit, etc. Ordered a 2017 Merit 2 using the corporate code for $449! It arrived within 3 days. Assembly was fairly easy - mount saddle, attach handlebars, mount front wheel, attach front caliper. Ordered a pair of clipless pedals to finish it off. I'm very pleased. Will take it to LBS this weekend to fine-tune fit.
Old 03-22-17, 09:31 AM
jefnvk

For sure. The idea with the LBS is, you test ride a few bikes, figure out the size. Make all the adjustments to optimize fit. Bring it back for minor adjustments after a month or two. And bring it back at the end of the season for a free tuneup. That is what you are paying for.

The problem, and what I struggle with is, folks who will go to a bike shop, test ride a bunch of bikes, spend a lot of time in a bike shop, then go and buy a bike online. And I cannot imagine Raleigh dealers are happy that the company is selling bikes over the internet at 30% less than retail.
Yeah, that is the one thing I also don't understand. If the discount is going to be a "secret" that is really in the open and in no way guarded, at least let the dealers sell at those prices. I also absolutely hate online shoppers fitting themselves at local shops (except for that time I did it at REI, who didn't stock the size of shoes I ended up needing).

As far as the bike shop in general, I love mine for little things I need here and there and clothes (something I refuse to order), I guess I've just never seen one that truly carries a wide variety of models in a variety of sizes. It just seems like everytime I go looking for something new, they either have the model I want, or the size that fits me in something else, generally with the promise they can order what I want in my size if I pay first.
Old 03-22-17, 10:27 AM
MRT2

Yeah, that is the one thing I also don't understand. If the discount is going to be a "secret" that is really in the open and in no way guarded, at least let the dealers sell at those prices. I also absolutely hate online shoppers fitting themselves at local shops (except for that time I did it at REI, who didn't stock the size of shoes I ended up needing).

As far as the bike shop in general, I love mine for little things I need here and there and clothes (something I refuse to order), I guess I've just never seen one that truly carries a wide variety of models in a variety of sizes. It just seems like everytime I go looking for something new, they either have the model I want, or the size that fits me in something else, generally with the promise they can order what I want in my size if I pay first.
I use the LBS for service, and occasionally, clothes. But increasingly, I am buying more clothes online. Returns on clothes is easy and my local shops don't have all that much variety. So when I had few clothes, I looked for deals at the LBS. But it is hard to pay full retail on a $100 pair of shorts or an $80 jersey when Nashbar is selling the exact same thing for 50% off, or more. Or $30 to order a pair of gloves that Nashbar discounts to as little as $12. In this regard, I have no guilt. I am not going to local shops, trying on a bunch of Jerseys and going online to buy. Other than a few basic colors, they rarely carry my size anyway (2 XL or 3 XL for most of the tighter fitting cyclign brands. ) These deals appear in the inbox of my email almost daily, and I can usually get free shipping.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-22-17 at 10:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.