Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Panasonic still makes bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 12:35 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I am a Panasonic nut after finding my vintage 85 Panasonic and fixing it up and riding it regularly. I just stumbled across the website called yellow Jersey and I called and talked to them and they're telling me that Panasonic only closed their American office in 1989 but they are still making bicycles over in Japan today. And he said they are dealer for them but he was busy so he had to get off the phone and didn't have a lot of time for my many questions. If this is true I am completely confused as to why there isn't more privately owned bike shops across the u.s. selling the Panasonic brand? If they could be a dealer then why couldn't your average Trek and specialized and Cannondale dealership also sell Panasonic? I have never heard of any of this until just now. Can somebody shed some light on this subject cause I am extremely curious.
Old 06-20-17, 03:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Time to brush up on your Japanese:

********************????Panasonic
Old 06-20-17, 03:18 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Just grab a 1980's Schwinn, many of which were made by Panasonic.

If Panasonic has essentially withdrawn from much of the consumer electronics market segments in the USA, I doubt they'd be competitive in the bicycle market.
Old 06-20-17, 03:43 PM
9volt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yellow Jersey is a small shop kind of in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin. I was there a few weeks ago and they had a couple Panasonic framesets in the window.
Old 06-20-17, 04:13 PM
trail_monkey

I just find it interesting. I hear how great Panasonic was in the day and i can agree as mine rides super sweet. They seem to be collectible and some people look for them hard. Now I find out they are still making bikes lol. Just a weird twist to me.

So does anyone know..... is the current stuff as high grade as the vintage stuff was?
Old 06-20-17, 04:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
If they could market them in NA at a price point that made them money, they would.
Old 06-20-17, 04:17 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like they only cell city bikes now. No more high quality tange frames of the past!
Old 06-20-17, 04:21 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by corrado33
Unfortunately, it looks like they only cell city bikes now. No more high quality tange frames of the past!
Intersting.....
Old 06-20-17, 04:34 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
You might want to take a closer look at that website. I see semi-custom Ti and CroMo frames:

FRTD02**********???/????POS******************************Panasonic
Old 06-20-17, 04:46 PM
KAH
Unsafe at Any Speed

Bikes: Bikes: 2015 Volagi Viaje XL, 85 Specialized Rockhopper w/drops, 81 Miyata 912, gone but not forgotten late 60s Coast To Coast Sting-Ray(J38 knockoff), Schwinn Typhoon, 75 Sekine GS, 81 Trek 412, 85 Trek 720 Touring.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
What size are you looking for?
I might have a lead on a 21"
Old 06-20-17, 04:46 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,062 Posts
Cool frames. Any idea how much?
**********????POS******************************Panasonic

Full bikes also available.
Old 06-20-17, 04:47 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
They used to make bikes for Rivendell also. Don't know if they still do or not.
Old 06-20-17, 05:25 PM
trail_monkey

Man those bikes are awesome! I hadn't had time to look at their website yet. Drooling!
Old 06-20-17, 05:29 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by KAH
What size are you looking for?
I might have a lead on a 21"
Not looking... but always looking..... if that makes sense..😆 I can't be buying another bike right now but i love to study bikes
Old 06-20-17, 05:32 PM
9volt 

Here's the Panasonic catalog. The custom paint variants at the bottom are interesting.

https://cycle.panasonic.jp/catalog/pos_catalog.pdf

And a vintage Panasonic with a carbon fork and modern parts that I've been working on

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...fessional.html
Old 06-20-17, 05:41 PM
KAH
Unsafe at Any Speed

Bikes: Bikes: 2015 Volagi Viaje XL, 85 Specialized Rockhopper w/drops, 81 Miyata 912, gone but not forgotten late 60s Coast To Coast Sting-Ray(J38 knockoff), Schwinn Typhoon, 75 Sekine GS, 81 Trek 412, 85 Trek 720 Touring.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Not looking... but always looking..... if that makes sense..

Makes sense to me
Old 06-20-17, 05:46 PM
9volt 

2017 Panasonic OJC4 Touring

Old 06-20-17, 06:34 PM
carbomb

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I saw some new ones in a bike shop window in Kyoto. Looks like you can order some custom if you have the coin:
**********????POS******************************Panasonic
Old 06-20-17, 07:12 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
These frames makes modern kit look good.

Old 06-20-17, 07:21 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Waiting for a touring rig that has a built-in toaster.

Sorry, but I got kinda jaded to new steel made to a spec when I got a Surly LHT about 9 years back. There was nothing wrong with it, and it was quite functional - yet there was nothing special about it either. If I were to go looking for a new steel frame, I'd first look to builders who never went the route of contracting everything out of house, or completely stopped production until some conglomerate bought up the name and went looking for a factory to crank them out. Not many like that still around. Bob Jackson is the only sizeable shop that comes to mind.

Have to admit, the pictures do look pretty sharp, but then, so do new Raleighs.
Old 06-20-17, 10:22 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Panasonic is still a big player in the bike biz in Japan, they still own their own factory/ies and build frames in-house, at least their high-end models. They are a HUGE company, with bicycles being a fairly small part of their business, and they have very little time/interest for the US market, other than looking into the E-bike market.

If you're interested in their built-to-order high-end frames, which have been linked to above, Yellow Jersey in/near Madison, WI will take your order and import one for you. They are parallel-importing Panasonic from a dealer friend in Japan, Panasonic has no direct US dealers. There are also Japanese bike shops actively exporting these frames user-direct, alexjapon on ebay, his store GiraGira Cycle, also using the name Track Supermarket.
Old 06-20-17, 10:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Sorry, but I got kinda jaded to new steel made to a spec when I got a Surly LHT about 9 years back. There was nothing wrong with it, and it was quite functional - yet there was nothing special about it either.
To be fair, you were riding a frame whose purpose is to handle a junkton of weight acroas continents. Its utilitarian not lustful. Its function over form.

Thick tubes and relaxed quasi80s MTB touring geometry dont really create special...unless special means doing what its meant to do- handle a lot of gear and weight.

There are solid fun modern steels frames out there by many brands.
Old 06-20-17, 10:37 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
"Made to spec" = "made to a price point" Once you get over that Taiwan-build $500-$600 price point there may be more builders out there than you think that are making very special steel.

Waterford/Gunnar in the US are probably the largest outfit for high-end custom steel, but there's a ton of smaller builders putting out incredible stuff. There are full-custom builders aplenty, there are also custom builders who offer non-custom/built-to-order frames: Jeff Lyon/Lyonsport's L'Avecaise, Wraith, Elephant's NFE, Black Mountain Cycles has MUSA frames, I'm sure there are others. Some of these guys build in batches, so you put your order in for the size you want and wait.

In the UK Mercian may be putting out more frames than Bob Jackson, there's also Woodrup (Kevin Sayles builds for them); gotta be others as well.

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Waiting for a touring rig that has a built-in toaster.

Sorry, but I got kinda jaded to new steel made to a spec when I got a Surly LHT about 9 years back. There was nothing wrong with it, and it was quite functional - yet there was nothing special about it either. If I were to go looking for a new steel frame, I'd first look to builders who never went the route of contracting everything out of house, or completely stopped production until some conglomerate bought up the name and went looking for a factory to crank them out. Not many like that still around. Bob Jackson is the only sizeable shop that comes to mind.

Have to admit, the pictures do look pretty sharp, but then, so do new Raleighs.
Old 06-21-17, 09:48 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
You might want to take a closer look at that website. I see semi-custom Ti and CroMo frames:

FRTD02**********???/????POS******************************Panasonic
My uh... japanese is uh... rusty *cough* non-existent *cough*.

I simply scrolled through the buttons up top and didn't see any road frames.
Old 06-21-17, 10:03 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
"Made to spec" = "made to a price point" Once you get over that Taiwan-build $500-$600 price point there may be more builders out there than you think that are making very special steel.

Waterford/Gunnar in the US are probably the largest outfit for high-end custom steel, but there's a ton of smaller builders putting out incredible stuff. There are full-custom builders aplenty, there are also custom builders who offer non-custom/built-to-order frames: Jeff Lyon/Lyonsport's L'Avecaise, Wraith, Elephant's NFE, Black Mountain Cycles has MUSA frames, I'm sure there are others. Some of these guys build in batches, so you put your order in for the size you want and wait.

In the UK Mercian may be putting out more frames than Bob Jackson, there's also Woodrup (Kevin Sayles builds for them); gotta be others as well.

I realized I was missing at least a couple, and Waterford occurred to me as I laid down to sleep. Also, I was intending to limit the list to builders that have been continuously building since "back in the day", since the nostalgia factor is strong here. If Panasonic has been producing bikes continuously, then I am wrong and have words to eat. I thought that they had gone the way of Schwinn, and Raleigh and others, who either ceased production entirely for a time, or whose production locations and methods are greatly disconnected from their roots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.