Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-20-20, 06:43 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey Bah Humbug how does a group Triathlon bike training ride work? I am interested to hear because I want to ensure we all keep a safe distance on our group ride tomorrow. I am thinking to tell each cyclist to allow say 35-50 feet between them and the rider in front of them, which is enough to be in eye-shot and ear-shot, but far enough that it's safe and for cars to pass.

I am open to other suggestions. I am expecting a small group of say 6-10 riders BTW. I do NOT want us to all ride in one tight group for obvious reasons.
Oh, sorry, totally missed this and didn't even see it in my mentions.

This is something I'm not the best to answer - the tri geeks I know are good enough even on TT bikes they ride like a TTT and are safer than many of the group rides I see. Also, my friends are utterly delusional and were going to the pools until they were all shut down, and one did so because she was convinced IMTulsa is still going to happen (it's still not officially cancelled, but...) (and she's a Boomer before anyone makes any comments about the kids at Port A and FL beaches). Your plan is good; I'm greatly concerned about snot and spit that will fly off even if the riders are conscientious, and I know I probably couldn't remember to hold a snot rocket until I'm on the back. I will say that it's probably safer to ride next to each other than stand next to each other, as droplets will likely be flying back at close to riding speed, but I'd really rather keep the very loose line you're suggesting. One thing that might be good is making sure people know how to estimate that distance while on the bike ahead of time, because people are terrible about estimating following distances even in cars.

It might be a good idea to have the designated flat-fixers set ahead of time. This is not a good time for helpers, or want-to-try-to-helpers.

Those same friends of mine are looking to organize a group ride tomorrow, and I'm willing to bet they won't be taking suitable measures. I have a date with Rouvy and American Horror Story.
Old 03-20-20, 06:48 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Paketa is kaput, no? Sad.
Dead.
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
I’d have thought that they’d at least take cost of living index and shoot for a certain amount beyond that depending on where people live, but that number is as good as any. The trouble is, there may not be much of a small business pool left for people to spend their money at . I bought some gift cards for two of our local restaurants. I hope they stay afloat.
Use offer code "late-stage capitalism" to save ten percent!
Likes For Bah Humbug:
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Oh, sorry, totally missed this and didn't even see it in my mentions.

This is something I'm not the best to answer - the tri geeks I know are good enough even on TT bikes they ride like a TTT and are safer than many of the group rides I see. Also, my friends are utterly delusional and were going to the pools until they were all shut down, and one did so because she was convinced IMTulsa is still going to happen (it's still not officially cancelled, but...) (and she's a Boomer before anyone makes any comments about the kids at Port A and FL beaches). Your plan is good; I'm greatly concerned about snot and spit that will fly off even if the riders are conscientious, and I know I probably couldn't remember to hold a snot rocket until I'm on the back. I will say that it's probably safer to ride next to each other than stand next to each other, as droplets will likely be flying back at close to riding speed, but I'd really rather keep the very loose line you're suggesting. One thing that might be good is making sure people know how to estimate that distance while on the bike ahead of time, because people are terrible about estimating following distances even in cars.

It might be a good idea to have the designated flat-fixers set ahead of time. This is not a good time for helpers, or want-to-try-to-helpers.

Those same friends of mine are looking to organize a group ride tomorrow, and I'm willing to bet they won't be taking suitable measures. I have a date with Rouvy and American Horror Story.
Thanks. I am going to lobby for people to ride solo together, for safety, and be in ear-shot/eyeball range of each other. That way if someone has a mechanical or other issue, we can activate the bark chain/twilight bark (#101Dalmations), but if some people want to clump together because they choose to, that's their decision.
Old 03-20-20, 07:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Thanks. I am going to lobby for people to ride solo together, for safety, and be in ear-shot/eyeball range of each other. That way if someone has a mechanical or other issue, we can activate the bark chain/twilight bark (#101Dalmations), but if some people want to clump together because they choose to, that's their decision.
The twilight bark is absolutely a real thing, too.

In other news, AG and her sister are trying to remotely babysit their mother into not still seeing people socially every single day. I'm really afraid of how many loved ones I'm going to lose this year.
Old 03-20-20, 07:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, big SWer for everyone to the East of that little old cold front with the triangles. Behind it there's a whole bunch of winter.

We're having big southerly winds too, but the prognosis is for mid thirties ad infinitum.

Old 03-20-20, 07:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You gotta keep your hands on the wheel, but I think it handles well, especially if you keep weight aft.
It definitely handles well - it's interesting how a bit more responsiveness and liiiiittle faster handling makes such a big difference even for a CAT6er like me. I really hope that there's a big covid lull this summer, because group rides are just going to be so much fun with it. I mean, solo rides are fun with it, too, but it just lends itself to more punchy efforts, rather than steady state.

As far as keeping your hands on the wheel, I found myself sitting up and stretching out, no-hands - considering how willingly it turns, I was surprised that it was so calm. Maybe hitting a bump thusly would be a rude surprise, I hope that I don't find out.
Old 03-20-20, 07:29 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts

Fun bike
Old 03-20-20, 07:30 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Dead.
Is it a wall-hanger now or did it go up in an Mg ball of flame?
Old 03-20-20, 07:31 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
That's spinning, not riding.

Who's on your watchlist?
Home Depot is the one I use as a watermark. And Target.

Old 03-20-20, 07:35 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Niece got accepted to Notre Dame today, which is her top choice. She got accepted to the business school, which is apparently a top 5 school. But easy to switch out of if she chooses.

So far she’s 7 of 7 with college acceptances: SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Stony Brook, Boston College, University of Richmond, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame and somewhere else I can’t remember.

Still waiting to hear on another 7- not sure which. Vassar and Williams College, plus 5 others. Prom and graduation are threatened though.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 03-20-20, 07:39 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
And Target.
I was talking to my wife about this the other day - for the likes of Target and Walmart, etc, it sure is looking like a good decision to have grocery under the same roof. If/when non-essential retailers are shut down, they're still open with their full line of goods and not much competition.
Old 03-20-20, 07:40 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Hey seeds - look, an old carbon bike. Faster, lighter, funner, stiffer, more responsive, and more comfy than your old man bikes.
If I were still in the workforce I might consider it. I hear they ride nice. But with my income it just is not possible. And besides, to my eye, they are BSOs. I have never found any positive aesthetic to threadless systems. Yes they are functional and easy, but they remain butt ugly. To my eye. And I find a great deal of pleasure in working on the old ones. Adjusting a headset properly was one of the last things to come, and I enjoy the heck out of it.Frankly, I have yet to see a carbon(crabon?) bike that is aesthetically pleasing. To my eye.
And to top it off, I am an old man. My oldest bike is 48 years old and I have 20 years on it.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 03-20-20, 07:40 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Fun bike
. . . in the wild.
Old 03-20-20, 07:44 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I was talking to my wife about this the other day - for the likes of Target and Walmart, etc, it sure is looking like a good decision to have grocery under the same roof. If/when non-essential retailers are shut down, they're still open with their full line of goods and not much competition.
True, but I hardly think this is why they did it.
Old 03-20-20, 07:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
It definitely handles well - it's interesting how a bit more responsiveness and liiiiittle faster handling makes such a big difference even for a CAT6er like me. I really hope that there's a big covid lull this summer, because group rides are just going to be so much fun with it. I mean, solo rides are fun with it, too, but it just lends itself to more punchy efforts, rather than steady state.

As far as keeping your hands on the wheel, I found myself sitting up and stretching out, no-hands - considering how willingly it turns, I was surprised that it was so calm. Maybe hitting a bump thusly would be a rude surprise, I hope that I don't find out.
I find mine pretty hard to ride no-hands, but my bike handling isn’t great. It certainly is a fun little bike, though. The new wheels are also eye-opening.
Old 03-20-20, 07:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
A couple of the stocks on my watchlist went up for the second day in a row. The bulk of them, however, continued the slide. I have only $14 in the market at present, but I still like to see what it's doing. Possibly so I can gloat about being one of the first wave of panic sellers.
Ford has stopped paying dividends. Wonder if they'll survive this recession...
Old 03-20-20, 07:48 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Deleted.
Old 03-20-20, 07:53 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Is it a wall-hanger now or did it go up in an Mg ball of flame?
Bike is just fine with 10 speed Chorus. Company went under. Poor bike doesn't see much time, but if I pinned on a number, seems like the bike to use.
Old 03-20-20, 07:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Lovely day on the MUP. Those yellow flowers are an invasive species, but kinda pretty ...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-20-20, 08:00 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
Likes For ls01:
Old 03-20-20, 08:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
True, but I hardly think this is why they did it.
In the event of a shut-down? No, but, in the case of Target, at least, adding full grocery was to get more people through their doors on a regular basis and bump up their general goods sales. Grocery stores run on incredibly thin margins, so it doesn't make much sense to add those products unless they're also driving traffic for higher profit goods.
Old 03-20-20, 08:01 PM
WhyFi

Bike is just fine with 10 speed Chorus. Company went under. Poor bike doesn't see much time, but if I pinned on a number, seems like the bike to use.
Ah, okay. I thought that maybe it had been damaged.
Old 03-20-20, 08:03 PM
ls01
he said member

Hmmm that pic was supposed to be the new rc7 shoes. Weird
Old 03-20-20, 08:06 PM
ls01
he said member

Quick shipping under the circumstances
Likes For ls01:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.