Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata 618GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 04:11 PM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Marinoni Special, Miyata 914, Brodie Tourque.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Miyata 618GT

I bought this Miyata 618GT for $350 CAD from the first owner who used it to tour all over Alberta, Canada. The seat tube is 20" C-T and the top tube is 21 C-C. I just cleaned it and repacked the rear hub bearings. It has the original Suntour XCM crank and derailleurs and has 700x32c tires. I test drove it and the hadlebar feels weird ( original black foam ) and the brakes are not that good. The serial no. RA52307. I have some questions. Should I replace the handlebar into something wider ( replace the bar wrap as well ), and how do I improve the braking ( replace cables ? ). Also what year do you think this bike was made? What do you think of the price I paid for? If this is yours, what upgrades would you do onr not do? Locally, here the vintage bikes are getting pricey and for a touring bike and my size, I think it is a fair price. Thanks.

Old 05-31-20, 08:11 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
350 isnt bad and the bike looks to be in good shape.

If you feel the handlebars are too narrow then a bar swap is in order. Otherwise I would go through the whole bike, top to bottom. Bottom bracket, headset, hubs and pedals all need cleaning and regreasing and I would use new ball bearings. New cables and housing should be next. New bar tape, chain and I would replace your brake pads with kool stop salmon pads. The cantilever version of the brake pads that your bike uses is fairly inexpensive. Old brake pads dont brake very well and I doubt they braked very well when new.

If the tires are the age of the bike I would also replace them. You have a nice bike but sitting for 35+ years doesn't do it any good.

Last edited by Narhay; 05-31-20 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-31-20, 09:45 PM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Marinoni Special, Miyata 914, Brodie Tourque.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
350 isnt bad and the bike looks to be in good shape.

If you feel the handlebars are too narrow then a bar swap is in order. Otherwise I would go through the whole bike, top to bottom. Bottom bracket, headset, hubs and pedals all need cleaning and regreasing and I would use new ball bearings. New cables and housing should be next. New bar tape, chain and I would replace your brake pads with kool stop salmon pads. The cantilever version of the brake pads that your bike uses is fairly inexpensive. Old brake pads dont brake very well and I doubt they braked very well when new.

If the tires are the age of the bike I would also replace them. You have a nice bike but sitting for 35+ years doesn't do it any good.
Thanks for your reply. I will plan to do those things that you mentioned and thanks for recommending the Kool Stop pads which I am not aware of.
Old 08-20-20, 08:33 AM
zmensing

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 618GT, 1991 Koga Miyata FullPro ex-Tulip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a slightly larger version of this bike and have loved it for a decade as my daily rider. It's tough (been through a couple crashes) and rides great. It's a 1989 - you can find more info here: https://www.ragandbone.ca/Miyata/miyata_selector.html