Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 11:30 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Regrettably, its still pretty much required here in crowded places.

Its just for show, you don't want to spook the herd.

I don't wear it when I'm all alone outdoors though, that's just silly!

Its just for show ?
Likes For frogman:
Old 07-14-20, 11:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Regrettably, its still pretty much required here in crowded places.

Its just for show, you don't want to spook the herd.

I don't wear it when I'm all alone outdoors though, that's just silly!

Do you actually know who Dan Dennett is?

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-14-20, 12:20 PM
BentRider56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes: I carry a mask, hand sanitizer (since portalet dispensers have been vandalized by thieves), and hand wipes.
Earlier this season I had a chain come apart, and another cyclist stopped to help me. Of course my allergy-sensitive nose started dripping like a faucet. I felt horrible about it but there was nothing I could do, since I wasn't carrying a mask at the time.
When we finished reassembling my chain, my temporary helper suggested I wipe my hands on a utility pole. MISTAKE! The pole was full of broken metal staples, and I ended up with several cuts on my filthy fingers. So now: add a zip-loc with paper shop-towels for wiping, and a pair of Nitrile gloves...
Old 07-14-20, 01:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by BentRider56
Yes: I carry a mask, hand sanitizer (since portalet dispensers have been vandalized by thieves), and hand wipes.
Earlier this season I had a chain come apart, and another cyclist stopped to help me. Of course my allergy-sensitive nose started dripping like a faucet. I felt horrible about it but there was nothing I could do, since I wasn't carrying a mask at the time.
When we finished reassembling my chain, my temporary helper suggested I wipe my hands on a utility pole. MISTAKE! The pole was full of broken metal staples, and I ended up with several cuts on my filthy fingers. So now: add a zip-loc with paper shop-towels for wiping, and a pair of Nitrile gloves...
Look for grass, friendly leaves or suitable rock. In the pre-COVID world I would spit on my hands,rub them together vigorously and find one of the above to wipe on. Handlebar tape appreciated it.

I haven't been carrying sanitizer but I did score a cute little bottle when this started, I'm refilling it now as a ride bottle. (For excursions to town, I wear shirts with breast pockets and put a slightly larger bottle in. Makes a quick sani (can we shorten the word sanitize now?) easy. OnNe hand access, either hand.
Old 07-14-20, 01:12 PM
BentRider56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Look for grass, friendly leaves or suitable rock. In the pre-COVID world I would spit on my hands,rub them together vigorously and find one of the above to wipe on. Handlebar tape appreciated it.

I haven't been carrying sanitizer but I did score a cute little bottle when this started, I'm refilling it now as a ride bottle. (For excursions to town, I wear shirts with breast pockets and put a slightly larger bottle in. Makes a quick sani (can we shorten the word sanitize now?) easy. OnNe hand access, either hand.
I like the easy-access breast pocket idea.
Grass & leaves weren't up yet when my chain came apart. The nitrile gloves are awesome for handling chain/drive-line problems.
I also need to find some waterless hand cleaner that one of my contacts mentioned...
Old 07-14-20, 05:06 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Yes.

We absolutely have our masks with us as we ride our tandem. Instead of getting “She’s not pedaling”, we now hear “You’re not social distancing”. So we wear the masks since we can’t social distance from one another. 😝
Old 07-14-20, 07:26 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Do you actually know who Dan Dennett is?

A stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Eugenicists say all kinds of funny things, take malware man for example.
Old 07-15-20, 09:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Once things got bad, I switched out my roadie-cool tiny saddle bag for my gravel grindin' adventure in the boonies saddle bag. I've got a bandanna and gloves along with several tubes, multiple CO2 cartridges, and more tools than usual.

It's heavy and it sucks. But, the goal is to (a) never get stuck where I need to stop anywhere or get a ride, and (b) be prepared in case I do. Since I'm not doing group rides, the extra supplies seem warranted.
Old 07-16-20, 10:09 AM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Required here in California. My regular bandana / doo-rag / folded-over-handkerchef is repurposed as a mask when I enter the coffee shop at mid-ride. And we've usually got a little bottle of hand sanitizer in a jersey pocket as well.

I have serious doubts about the efficacy of casual mask use, but there's no reason to make other people upset or anxious about it when putting it on for a few minutes is easy and painless.

OTOH, I would NOT stay inside with other people for any longer than it takes to get my coffee and walk out. I think the more serious mask issue is that if you're in a situation where you are close to other people, you probably need a proper N95 mask, properly fitted, properly worn and then properly handled and disposed of. Bandanas, surgical masks and the homemade cloth masks will not really get the job done.

I can see no reason at all to wear a mask/doo-rag/buff when actually riding, other than not making nearby pedestrians anxious, but having one available when stopped is no problem.