Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TT position on group rides

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TT position on group rides

Old 12-02-20, 08:15 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
forearms on tops while holding on top of hoods
Apparently they do make handlebars for people like you:
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/the-...d-ultra-weird/
Old 12-02-20, 08:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Okay, I sort of get it. But if someone can't hold their line when they drink, they shouldn't be drinking while in a pace line. Holding a bottle at arms length to indicate you're about to veer off line isn't a solution.
IMO it's a signal that it's possible the all hell could break loose, so be aware that I'm only holding on with one hand, only have my front brake, etc. Nothing to do with holding one's line, just that things could go more wrong right now than usual. Nothing ever has, at least not IME, but I've never had an issue with people taking extra care in a paceline. I guess you do, which is not my problem. That's evidently a serious problem for you, having wasted 7 posts over it. One would think you'd rather be doing something useful.

You could do a useful experiment: While drinking, jam on that left brake (assuming you're right handed), like an animal just ran in front of you. What happens?
Old 12-02-20, 08:29 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77 View Post
The good news is I'll never be able to afford it!

I still won't buy if I'm rich. It's too high for me. I want my handlebar real low. Unless they can customize it to have the tops curve downwards towards the ramps to slam it down.
Old 12-02-20, 09:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
IMO it's a signal that it's possible the all hell could break loose, so be aware that I'm only holding on with one hand, only have my front brake, etc. Nothing to do with holding one's line, just that things could go more wrong right now than usual. Nothing ever has, at least not IME, but I've never had an issue with people taking extra care in a paceline. I guess you do, which is not my problem. That's evidently a serious problem for you, having wasted 7 posts over it. One would think you'd rather be doing something useful.
Wow dude, take a pill. I just wanted to know what was the point of holding a bottle at arms length before you take a drink from it. I've never seen anyone do this.
Old 12-02-20, 10:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Wow dude, take a pill. I just wanted to know what was the point of holding a bottle at arms length before you take a drink from it. I've never seen anyone do this.
OK. When I first saw it, I thought the reason was obvious. I get why racers would never do that, but in a recreational paceline, it makes sense, at least to me..
Old 12-02-20, 10:33 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 141 Posts
IMO it's a signal that it's possible the all hell could break loose, so be aware that I'm only holding on with one hand, only have my front brake, etc.
In other words they’re signaling they’re about to do something dangerous and expect everyone behind them to deal with it. I prefer riding with people who take care of themselves and don’t expect others in the group to accommodate their dangerous moves. Then again, the people I ride with can generally reach down for a bottle and drink without putting others at risk.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-03-20, 03:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,101 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77 View Post
That's an attempt at refining a position some pros and amateurs are already using -- turning the hoods in toward the stem to get a better position for solo breakaways and time trials with regular road bikes. See the January 2020 Vuelta a San Juan, dominated by Remco Evenopoel who used that position to excellent effect on the time trial.

This Canadian cyclist's video demonstrates his experiment with that position, along with the pros (works as described) and cons (less stable when standing to climb). And I see from his September 2020 followup video from a crit that he was still using that position, with the hoods angled inward, to get a better position on the hoods with forearms parallel with the ground.

Some participants at the Vuelta a San Juan TT stage can be seen using the rather exaggerated inward angled hood position, more so than Evenepoel, who mostly used the puppy paws/invisible aero bar position to get as aero as possible on a road bike.

Some folks would probably find the Speeco bar twitchy and not a great choice for some races and terrain.
Old 12-03-20, 06:11 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
That's an attempt at refining a position some pros and amateurs are already using -- turning the hoods in toward the stem to get a better position for solo breakaways and time trials with regular road bikes. See the January 2020 Vuelta a San Juan, dominated by Remco Evenopoel who used that position to excellent effect on the time trial.
That's one of the things I did when I setup my gravel bike right after purchase.

However, I put it back to normal position. I have Sensah Ignite shifters and I think the shifters isn't supposed to be used in that position and made using the levers on the the drops more difficult.

I might have put up with it if I'll never be on the drops. But I alternate between drops and hoods if I can't be on TT position.

And still more comfortable for me for the hoods to be pointing forward when I'm out of the saddle and my hands are on the hoods.
Old 12-03-20, 07:00 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Okay, I sort of get it. But if someone can't hold their line when they drink, they shouldn't be drinking while in a pace line. Holding a bottle at arms length to indicate you're about to veer off line isn't a solution.
I'm not the one that suggested this was a good idea(or even seen it done).
Old 12-03-20, 10:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 342 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15271 Post(s)
Liked 4,143 Times in 2,193 Posts
Speeco just released a set of bars perfect for the OP -

Old 12-03-20, 10:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
In other words they’re signaling they’re about to do something dangerous and expect everyone behind them to deal with it. I prefer riding with people who take care of themselves and don’t expect others in the group to accommodate their dangerous moves. Then again, the people I ride with can generally reach down for a bottle and drink without putting others at risk.
You're another one who doesn't get it.
Old 12-03-20, 10:40 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 344 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much, but I really like them. I've been practicing that position, it's def faster, but really works your triceps. A bar that better supports that position (when you're out front or solo), while also allowing you to ride on the hoods/drops safely (like when you're in a group), sounds great.
Old 12-03-20, 10:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 342 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15271 Post(s)
Liked 4,143 Times in 2,193 Posts
Count me among those that don't get it, either. If you think that it's hazardous enough that you need to let people behind you know that you're going to do it, I reckon it's hazardous enough to just do it when you're on the back or when the pace slows. *shrug*
Old 12-03-20, 11:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Count me among those that don't get it, either. If you think that it's hazardous enough that you need to let people behind you know that you're going to do it, I reckon it's hazardous enough to just do it when you're on the back or when the pace slows. *shrug*

+1

A similarly mystifying convention I've come across has the leader of a paceline shout "HOLE" when they see something,

causing everyone behind to flinch and possibly wobble just from the noise, but does nothing to help locate or avoid the spot.
Old 12-03-20, 11:33 AM
sarhog

Bikes: Canyon Grail, Salsa Cutthroat, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Add me to the list of “doesn’t get it”.

What do you PNW riders do when you’re pointing out a pothole, and an animal darts out? What if that happens when you’re giving the “I’m going to stand” signal??
What if the leader is pointing at a hole, the second rider is signaling to stand, and an animal darts out in front of the third guy? At the SAME TIME???
Old 12-03-20, 11:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 792 Posts
If the rider on the front calls out "hole" then everyone behind is on notice to look for a hole. It might require a bunnyhop, or it might not require anything at all. But no one should be wobbling. And the rider on the front should be doing everything possible to avoid leading the group into a hole to begin with.
Old 12-03-20, 12:01 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: '17 Trek, '20 Bianchi, '77 Sears Free Spirit (long since retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Add me to the list of “doesn’t get it”.

What do you PNW riders do when you’re pointing out a pothole, and an animal darts out? What if that happens when you’re giving the “I’m going to stand” signal??
What if the leader is pointing at a hole, the second rider is signaling to stand, and an animal darts out in front of the third guy? At the SAME TIME???
If I'm the fourth guy, obviously I'd do nothing. Because I'm probably taking a drink by about that time.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 12-03-20, 12:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
If the rider on the front calls out "hole" then everyone behind is on notice to look for a hole. It might require a bunnyhop, or it might not require anything at all. But no one should be wobbling. And the rider on the front should be doing everything possible to avoid leading the group into a hole to begin with.

The person I most associate this with was a woman with a large, loud personality, encountered on several double century events.

Her blood-curdling yell would cause the entire group of relatively experienced riders to bobble slightly.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-03-20, 12:32 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 122 Posts
Paceline Riding: "Those who have crashed because of it and those who will eventually crash." When riding with my friends and others we ride pretty spaced out and there is minimal if any drafting going on. Once we hit middle age+ just didn't see the necessity anymore, it increases the risk of crashing substantially, reduces the ability to focus and enjoy the effort. I found over the years in a large group of riders you get the usual paceline scolds, sloppy dangerous riders, the unprepared dude, obnoxious road ragers etc. I will take a small group of friends out for a challenging day and fun post-ride bs session any day.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-03-20, 12:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
The person I most associate this with was a woman with a large, loud personality, encountered on several double century events.

Her blood-curdling yell would cause the entire group of relatively experienced riders to bobble slightly.
If you yell loud enough, you can scare the hole, and it will run away before the group gets to it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-03-20, 12:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post

I recall we had a guy who would scream "CAR BACK" whenever a vehicle approached from the rear. Startled you every time and when out on a quiet road in the zone would scare the crap out you. I replaced him with a Garmin Varia and have ridden in peace since.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-03-20, 01:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
Paceline Riding: "Those who have crashed because of it and those who will eventually crash." When riding with my friends and others we ride pretty spaced out and there is minimal if any drafting going on. Once we hit middle age+ just didn't see the necessity anymore, it increases the risk of crashing substantially, reduces the ability to focus and enjoy the effort. I found over the years in a large group of riders you get the usual paceline scolds, sloppy dangerous riders, the unprepared dude, obnoxious road ragers etc. I will take a small group of friends out for a challenging day and fun post-ride bs session any day.
To each his own, but I actually get a lot of enjoyment from the teamwork and camaraderie of a well-executed paceline. You go farther and faster than you could on your own. If you're doing a double rotation with a decent sized group, you get a chance to chat with friends while you recover. Maybe I'm lucky that for me that means team rides where I know and trust the other riders. Even on the local hammerfests, it's a small enough community that everyone knows the sketchy riders and they eventually shape up or stop coming.

It's the thing I miss most about pre-pandemic riding, actually.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-03-20, 03:20 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: Felt AR, Longteng LTK 118 with Chinese carbon everything.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 642 Posts
I think I would love those bars right up until the moment I stood up and crushed my knee cap on the bar...
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-04-20, 12:03 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
I think I would love those bars right up until the moment I stood up and crushed my knee cap on the bar...
The rider is probably too gigantic for the bike

Old 12-04-20, 05:24 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: Felt AR, Longteng LTK 118 with Chinese carbon everything.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
The rider is probably too gigantic for the bike

I'm pretty sure that's a pro rider and those bars were custom-made for him, so he's probably pretty dialed in on that bike.

Looks spot-on...until he tries to sprint?
Likes For rubiksoval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.