Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

[article] Why do so many elite cyclists have a background in rowing?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-30-20, 02:50 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

Why do so many elite cyclists have a background in rowing? 12-12-20 [ Cycling Weekly ]

Indoor rowing is my winter workout. Got my Concept 2 Model D Jan 2020 and it's getting a lot of use now due to the colder weather.
Old 12-30-20, 04:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
There was a time when a lot of good pro cyclists were speed skaters.
Old 12-30-20, 07:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I wouldn’t consider 6 cyclists with rowing backgrounds statistically significant.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-30-20, 07:40 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Well, rowing is an extremely aerobic-demanding activity/sport. A neighborhood kid (friend of my son’s) is a member of the rowing crew at Yale. He’s a senior but ‘walked on’ to the crew as a freshman. The kid has always been an outstanding athlete...mostly soccer. But in h.s., due to a few concussions, had to find an activity that wouldn’t subject him to more head injury. So he joined a local rowing club...and excelled. That set him up for a seat on the lightweight boat at Yale. After freshman year he came home and asked me about cycling. Said he needed something other than just the rowing machine to keep in shape in the rowing off-season. So, I lent him one of my bikes. Set him up with helmet, shoes, etc. He LOVES it. I rode with him a few times but I was holding him back. He’s riding like I did in my 20s (I’m almost 60 now). No way I could hang with him. We’re friends on Strava and I see that his rides (alone), usually in excess of 25 miles, always average 20 mph or higher.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-30-20, 08:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I think there is quite a bit of crossover in sport especially where the sport's demands match up with the athlete's capabilities and capacities.

I do a lot of rowing both on the water and on my Waterrower and it does seem that the activity complements my cycling.
Old 12-30-20, 08:49 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
There was a time when a lot of good pro cyclists were speed skaters.
There were a few that were downhill skiers, too. Skiing like they do really beats you up but gets you in great shape. But I can't think of any that were XC skiers, which seems a little odd.

And if the OP is concerned with road cyclists, remember many came from the MTB world (Sagan, LeMond, and Armstrong come to mind immediately).
Old 12-30-20, 08:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The physical requirements of the sports are similar.
Old 12-30-20, 10:28 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Rowing favors a tall body type, not many elite cyclists are all that tall, are they?
Old 12-30-20, 10:58 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Why do so many elite cyclists have a background in rowing? 12-12-20 [ Cycling Weekly ]

Indoor rowing is my winter workout. Got my Concept 2 Model D Jan 2020 and it's getting a lot of use now due to the colder weather.
I keep thinking of picking up an ergo; I have two Olympic medalist rowers in my immediate family (I'm the lazy one, for sure) and the balance would be good for me overall. Living in the desert Southwest now there's not a lot of chance to get out in a boat. My sister is a strong cyclist (strong everything!) and my step-Dad isn't slow either!

Honestly, knowing how driven you have to be to be top-level in the sport (any sport) have to wonder how much is just the mental fortitude.
Old 12-30-20, 11:38 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Rowing favors a tall body type, not many elite cyclists are all that tall, are they?
Grand Tour riders and CG contenders tend to be quite short as power/weight ratio is a major factor, and it's difficult to be over 6' tall and under 65 kgs and still produce enough power to win bike races. You still get the likes of Froome, Hugh Carthy, the Schleck brothers being quite gangly and winning mountainous races, but most GC riders tend to be in the 5'8-5'10 range (Roglic, Pogacar).

Classics riders and sprinters, where the kg side of the W/kg balance is less important, can be a lot taller. Tom Boonen, Marcel Kittel, Fabian Cancellara, Niki Terpstra are all over 6'. But there isn't much penalty to being short (Caleb Ewan, Oscar Freire).

I knew a lot of rowers in college, the athletic requirement are similar. One difference is that there's no hiding in the wheels and saving your energy when you're in a boat. Another is that it's over in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited by Leinster; 12-30-20 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 12-30-20, 12:08 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Having been both, it's a pretty easy comparison, especially with regard to track cycling, as mentioned in the article. A lot of the same muscle groups are involved, as is the need to maintain a fairly high power output for an extended period of time.
Same goes for the emphasis on technique; having your form on point can take you farther, faster than just throwing more power at it.
Old 12-30-20, 08:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Many cyclists have backgrounds in sports that involve heavy use of legs and aerobic fitness. Remco Evenepoel came from a soccer background. As others mentioned, there have been speed skaters, downhill skiers and ski jumpers.

And in general many professional athletes who are best known for one particular sport didn't start out in that sport that made them famous or wealthy. Often it was a second or third choice, but offered better opportunities, or they were simply better at a sport that wasn't their favorite. Roy Jones Jr, one of the quickest, most gifted and unconventional boxers in history, preferred basketball, but wasn't tall enough to go pro.

BTW, that article in the OP dances over Bradley Wiggins' attempt to reboot a sports career in rowing, claiming he abandoned the attempt because of "other commitments."

Nah. Watch his attempt on YouTube. He was out of his element in the rowing trials. While he was big for a cyclist, he wasn't big and strong enough, with a background in upper body athleticism, to cut it in rowing. He looked flabby and uncoordinated compared with the real contenders in rowing.

The writer might be a friend of Wiggo, or afraid of Wiggins' notorious social media snark. Wiggins tends to burn a lot of bridges and friends with his reckless comments, then backtracking with left-handed compliments to try to make it right.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-30-20 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 01:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Many cyclists have backgrounds in sports that involve heavy use of legs and aerobic fitness. Remco Evenepoel came from a soccer background. As others mentioned, there have been speed skaters, downhill skiers and ski jumpers.

And in general many professional athletes who are best known for one particular sport didn't start out in that sport that made them famous or wealthy. Often it was a second or third choice, but offered better opportunities, or they were simply better at a sport that wasn't their favorite. Roy Jones Jr, one of the quickest, most gifted and unconventional boxers in history, preferred basketball, but wasn't tall enough to go pro.

BTW, that article in the OP dances over Bradley Wiggins' attempt to reboot a sports career in rowing, claiming he abandoned the attempt because of "other commitments."

Nah. Watch his attempt on YouTube. He was out of his element in the rowing trials. While he was big for a cyclist, he wasn't big and strong enough, with a background in upper body athleticism, to cut it in rowing. He looked flabby and uncoordinated compared with the real contenders in rowing.

The writer might be a friend of Wiggo, or afraid of Wiggins' notorious social media snark. Wiggins tends to burn a lot of bridges and friends with his reckless comments, then backtracking with left-handed compliments to try to make it right.
There is nothing substantive about the article at all, which is rather just a puff piece for British national sport programs. British Cycling and British Rowing are two of the best organized bodies in those sports in the world, and they are rightfully proud. 6 athletes, however, out of the 10s— if not 100s— of thousands of elite British cyclists does not come anywhere near supporting a causal relationship between a rowing background and cycling success. I’m absolutely certain a far greater number of elite cyclists have asthma, but I doubt anyone would anyone argue it’s the reason for their success.
Old 12-31-20, 10:14 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This article is questionable. The article is from a British periodical and focuses entirely on a very small number of British cyclists who have a background in rowing. Perhaps the fact that the best aerobic British athletes are more likely to be rowers than any other country in the world is a factor? Perhaps the huge state-sponsored rowing program in the UK is a factor?
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-31-20, 10:31 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Rowers, at the top levels, are much heavier than cyclists of the same height. Rowing puts much more emphasis on upper body strength than cycling. Weight carries much less penalty for a rower. Rowers spend much less of their tie accelerating, while even relatively flat cycling terrain has numerous hills. Every hill requires acceleration.
Hiro make a good point also, the auk is an island.
Old 12-31-20, 06:33 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
I can fully understand the reasons for the cross over between rowing and cycling. There would be more crossover if rowing was a more accessible sport. To get into rowing as a young person, you pretty much have to attend a school that has a rowing program.

Learning to row a single scull requires a certain level of balance and coordination that is similar to learning to ride a bike. Just getting in the boat without flipping it is a challenge for a beginner, and the stroke sequence is something that serious rowers spend years learning to master.

I live adjacent to a tidal creek, and I have a beat up old Maas Aero with fiberglass patches on the bottom. I didn't start to row until I was in my late 20s. I taught myself by reading books. This was before YouTube. I don't claim any great level of proficiency, but I have fun. I should sign up for a training camp. Perhaps they could teach me how to avoid obstacles while rowing facing backwards.

Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 12-31-20, 06:42 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Rowers, at the top levels, are much heavier than cyclists of the same height. Rowing puts much more emphasis on upper body strength than cycling. Weight carries much less penalty for a rower. Rowers spend much less of their tie accelerating, while even relatively flat cycling terrain has numerous hills. Every hill requires acceleration.
Hiro make a good point also, the auk is an island.
Not that it matters, but most major rowing competitions include divisions for lightweight rowers. The weight cutoff varies but is typically between 150 lbs and 160 lbs for men. For the 2020 (2021?) Olympics, the lightweight events will be limited to the double sculls for both the men and the women.
Old 01-01-21, 05:27 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Old 01-01-21, 06:53 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by gios

why don’t you take a poll from forum members to get an accurate percentage. You will probably get less than 30%
Old 01-01-21, 08:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
why don’t you take a poll from forum members to get an accurate percentage. You will probably get less than 30%
Less than 30% of the elite cyclists on this forum have a background in rowing?
Old 01-01-21, 11:51 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Anecdotally, 2 (almost 3 but she REALLY hated hills) of the cyclists on my university team were ex-rowers. Cycling is way more accessible than rowing, from what I can tell. You can do it solo or with just a couple friends and you don't need water.

Asking why rowers make good cyclists is like asking why runners make good cyclists. These are all aerobic activities that use your legs. Not much to be said there.
Old 01-02-21, 09:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Britain, rowing and cycling........c'mon. That'd be like asking about why so many high school kickers were soccer players.

Regionally, I bet the crossover would be stronger in Nordic countries with some combo of cross country skiing and ice skating combined with cycling. I work for a Danish company and pretty much 75% of the coworkers I follow on Strava who ride bikes "strongly" also cross country ski at a proficient level.
Old 01-02-21, 11:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Britain, rowing and cycling........c'mon. That'd be like asking about why so many high school kickers were soccer players.

Regionally, I bet the crossover would be stronger in Nordic countries with some combo of cross country skiing and ice skating combined with cycling. I work for a Danish company and pretty much 75% of the coworkers I follow on Strava who ride bikes "strongly" also cross country ski at a proficient level.
Yup. Exactly my point above.
Old 01-02-21, 10:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Question for indoor rowers:

Do folks roll wrists and raise/lower arms to mimic actual rowing while on a rowing machine?
Old 01-03-21, 12:09 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Question for indoor rowers:

Do folks roll wrists and raise/lower arms to mimic actual rowing while on a rowing machine?
Yes of course. The only issue is peeing over the side gets messy.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.