Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used 2012 Focus Izalco 3.0 safe to buy?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-21-21, 11:47 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts

Hi Guys,

Looking at this FOCUS Izalco Pro 3.0 for sale. It is in my size and budget. Ultegra Groupset with FSA Crank. It looks pretty clean to me. I would say almost unused if not for the dirt? on the downtube. The shifter hoods have no damage so I am guessing it may have only been stored or at least not met any accidents? While it does not look like frame damage, my only concern is the marks on the downtube. They just look like dirt to me but I am not sure since I have never owned a carbon bike. Also the top tube seems to have a fine line along it. What do you guys think? What would this bike be worth? On a side note, I read somewhere that older Alu frames might not be good to buy because they have a shelf life. Does carbon have the same thing?

Is this just dirt? Top tube also seems to have a line along it. Shadow or crack?

From the condition of the hoods this bike looks to be barely used.
Likes For LeSexyFishorse:
Old 01-21-21, 12:14 PM
LeSexyFishorse

I should also add that the wheels are WH-RS300 and the groupset is Shimano Artegra 6800.
Old 01-21-21, 12:25 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Now this bike looks like a couple levels higher than the Felt 35 you were looking at (in the other post).

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...ro-3-0-review/

I'd have no problem buying a secondhand carbon bike - and the idea of a "shelf life" of aluminum to me is incredibly overhyped, none of that would concern me. Nobody is riding over cobblestones daily.

Just carefully inspect the frame for any cracks. It is very hard to tell from photos, but the chances are much much more likely anything you see is purely cosmetic. This is the sort of thing you'll quickly see in person, and after speaking with the seller, it's always been obvious (to me at least) when someone is trying to fool you. It's rare.
Old 01-21-21, 12:35 PM
LeSexyFishorse

Hello! Yes this is one of my finalists. Its a choice between the felt, this one and a Scott Solace. This bike is actually cheaper than the felt. It is going for 80 USD right now which kind of scares me a little bit. Unfortunately I will not be able to inspect the bicycle before I buy it since it will only be shipped to me (travel restrictions). So I have to go based on photos. The felt was my top "safe" choice because it was alu frame. This one and the Scott are my top Carbon choices. Have you bought old carbon bikes before? I believe this is 2012 model and the Scott is a 2014. How was your 2nd hand carbon experience like?

The link you posted makes me excited to buy this bike so I am trying not to get my hopes up if it gets more expensive.
Old 01-21-21, 12:44 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Hello! Yes this is one of my finalists. Its a choice between the felt, this one and a Scott Solace. This bike is actually cheaper than the felt. It is going for 80 USD right now which kind of scares me a little bit. Unfortunately I will not be able to inspect the bicycle before I buy it since it will only be shipped to me (travel restrictions). So I have to go based on photos. The felt was my top "safe" choice because it was alu frame. This one and the Scott are my top Carbon choices. Have you bought old carbon bikes before? I believe this is 2012 model and the Scott is a 2014. How was your 2nd hand carbon experience like?

The link you posted makes me excited to buy this bike so I am trying not to get my hopes up if it gets more expensive.
I actually haven't bought a 2nd-hand carbon bike; I've only ever bought one carbon bike, and wanted to treat myself to new (lol).

Is that Focus on eBay, or some other auction site? Considering new in 2012 it was probably around £1500 / €1700 / $1900, I'd expect it to be at least 2-3X the price of the Felt 35, it just depends on your local market and what people are willing to pay.
Old 01-21-21, 12:56 PM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I actually haven't bought a 2nd-hand carbon bike; I've only ever bought one carbon bike, and wanted to treat myself to new (lol).

Is that Focus on eBay, or some other auction site? Considering new in 2012 it was probably around £1500 / €1700 / $1900, I'd expect it to be at least 2-3X the price of the Felt 35, it just depends on your local market and what people are willing to pay.
Yes they are both on an auction site expiring in 2 days. From what I have read all 3 bikes are capable racers so I guess the Focus and Scott are more expensive because they are full carbon fiber bikes. How was your experience with carbon? Is it as big a deal as everyone says? This will be my first road bike. I have only ever had a city bike. Its kind of hard to believe that I can get such good bikes for a good price. I keep thinking to myself that there has to be something wrong with them, why are they so affordable. I am hoping that because of the age, people prefer to pay more for newer bikes. Maybe because the technology is better. I dont mind riding an old bike though. I am more than happy to get my feet wet that way since I will likely make all my mistakes at the start.
Old 01-21-21, 01:12 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Depreciation on bikes is massive - so if you're not looking for the latest-and-greatest, or (as in my case) to "treat yo' self", then you can get what was a very very nice bike a short few years ago, that may have spent the majority of it's life in someone's shed or on a turbo trainer, for very little money.

Budget will certainly be the deciding factor here (isn't it always?). I'd expect that Focus to go for closer to a grand (or slightly more) - it would if it were selling in Ireland. The problem comes as you get up into 4 figures for a used bike, the buyer starts to think, "for not much more money, I can buy new...", and so selling becomes a little harder.

I really like the carbon road bike I bought (Planet X EC-130E). It is lighter and smoother than aluminum on the road, lighter and equally smooth as good quality steel, and as light and smooth as titanium (but at a fraction of the price), so it really hits the "sweet spot" of performance and price for mid-to-upper levels. You can get a fantastic aluminum bike (see Cannondale), but you'll pay more money for it.

Enjoy the hunt!
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-21-21, 01:37 PM
LeSexyFishorse

Follow up question: Is this a "lightweight" bike? I ask because I am on the stockier side (250lbs). Would that be an issue?
Old 01-21-21, 01:45 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Follow up question: Is this a "lightweight" bike? I ask because I am on the stockier side (250lbs). Would that be an issue?
You could very well be approaching a limit, it'd be best to consult w/the bike manufacturer to see if they have a maximum rider weight for that specific bike.

I found this on focus-bikes.com ...

"The maximum system weight is 110 kg on carbon bikes."

That's 242.5lbs

I doubt you'd have any issue on an aluminum bike.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-21-21, 09:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
C'mon OP...you need to do at least some research yourself and not rely on the forum to do everything for you. The rider weight limit is going to be posted right on Focus site, it was easily found by the other poster. This bike looks nice but how on earth can anyone here know whether it's a 'safe' buy?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-21-21, 10:17 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
No, there isn't a "shelf life" for aluminium.
There are many aluminium aeroplanes still being flown that are much much older than 2012.
You have no doubt flown on some of them.
As for older second hand carbon bikes I have no issues with buying/riding them.
As long as they are in good condition with no damage and seem to of been well looked after.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 01-22-21, 12:41 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by cxwrench
C'mon OP...you need to do at least some research yourself and not rely on the forum to do everything for you. The rider weight limit is going to be posted right on Focus site, it was easily found by the other poster. This bike looks nice but how on earth can anyone here know whether it's a 'safe' buy?
I did search, I try to search before asking any questions. That specific model did not come out for me either one the google site or the focus archives. Could be because of the language or location difference of where I am in the search. The information I found was general advice on weight limits of 110kg for other manufacturers and 250lbs for trek frames. Also found some advice saying to stay away from "Lightweight" bikes but nothing on this frame in particular being a "lightweight" bike just that the frame was lightweight compared to the others. So I was wondering what makes the classification.

Sometimes I cant find what I am looking for because I dont know where to look (like me im a noob at this) not for lack of trying.

Last edited by LeSexyFishorse; 01-22-21 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 02:10 AM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
I have a Focus Izalco 3.0 and like it. My cable tunnels, however, are crumbling: I've been told that's a common problem on these and that in the worst case, you just run the cable outside. In the meantime, I've had constant problems with my SRAM force derailleurs--no mechanic has ever figured it out. I somewhat wonder if the internal routing on these early bikes with internal cables is part of the problem.
Old 01-22-21, 04:09 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by btppberk
I have a Focus Izalco 3.0 and like it. My cable tunnels, however, are crumbling: I've been told that's a common problem on these and that in the worst case, you just run the cable outside. In the meantime, I've had constant problems with my SRAM force derailleurs--no mechanic has ever figured it out. I somewhat wonder if the internal routing on these early bikes with internal cables is part of the problem.
Good to know, I saw in one of the reviews that the internal cable guides were used for structural support so they could make the tubes thinner. Have you experienced structural issues since they have deteriorated?
Old 01-22-21, 07:04 PM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Good to know, I saw in one of the reviews that the internal cable guides were used for structural support so they could make the tubes thinner. Have you experienced structural issues since they have deteriorated?
Interesting. Not that I know of!