Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 08:43 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Howdy all, thought I would stop in to say hello and to post a progress update. I've been doing pretty okay recently on my diet and exercise. I managed to ride a little over 5,300 miles last year and have a goal of 6,000 miles for 2021.

I'm currently down 85 pounds, from 295 to 210. I'm still just as ugly but that isn't nearly as easy to fix. My initial goal is to get to 195 then decide if I want to go lower.

Anyway, that's about it for me. Hope everyone is doing well.

Looking good LowCel
Old 01-25-21, 08:51 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Temperature was a warm 38 degrees,
Only possible if C.
Old 01-25-21, 08:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
Yes, Zwift does store and record data locally. If Zwift crashes, you can usually recover nearly all the data. It's been a while, but I think if you look in the Zwift folder on your laptop, and in a subfolder, you'll be able to find a *.fit file from the date in question. You can try loading that to Strava, or you might have to use one of the online fit file fixes to repair or trim the end as it was not "closed" properly.
I tried it, and it said it was "malformed". So I found "FitFileTools" and fixed it, downloaded the file, and uploaded it to Strava, but it doesn't appear in my feed. If I try to upload it again, it tells me it appears to be a duplicate of another activity and won't accept it.

At this point, I'm throwing in the towel. At least I logged the "miles" in Strava.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-25-21, 08:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by datlas
I used Delta-based pedals/cleats for DECADES. I finally switched over to the Keo pedals/cleats about 4 years ago. I think the difference is marginal, but mainly I got tired of looking for pedals and cleats. Those Dura-Ace 7401 pedals are the best. I may have an old pair lying around if you really want to stay with that platform.
My old Looks are all still working at the moment, so I'm good. I figure at some point I might get some new shoes - given my Sidis are separating at the heel - and then I'll start the process of switching over all 4 bikes to a new style. Keos, probably.

Then Look will obsolete them. Because of course.

Old 01-25-21, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
never played it, incredibly interested in it though.
Obsidian is a good developer. Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorites, The Outer Worlds is great, and Pillars is an awesome modern/throwback RPG.

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Also interested in Tides of Numenara
Huh. Hadn't heard of it before - looks interesting.

Have you played Dragon Age: Origins? Classic - one of my absolute favorite RPGs. Great characters, story and mechanics. You can pause battles and delegate or (I found this really enjoyable) you can program actions and let 'em rip, whether it's concentrating on taking out mages first or healing other party members when they're at low health or performing a sweeping knockdown when surrounded by X enemies within melee range. Awesome game.
Old 01-25-21, 09:10 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Nope. Even if I had the interest/money, I suspect my hearing is not up to the task of appreciating the sound nuance.
Trumpeter, duh.
Old 01-25-21, 09:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Again - no perfect solution, but the pedals are probably the most sensible, which is Step 1. The full instructions are:

1) find a sensible way of getting power on your most performance-oriented bike.
2) do it
3) the rest will figure itself out, I promise you

Once you have power, you'll either want it all the time or you'll realize that it's not in your personality to obsess about it each and every ride. With the former, you'll either ride the bike with PM almost exclusively or you won't mind the effort of moving the PM (until you buy more PMs for the other bikes ). With the latter, you'll be content with taking occasional rides unshackled from expectation or agenda.
As I see it, the cheapest way into the Wonderful World of Power Meters is the Stages leftside crank, for the Canyon. It's my Sunday bike, the one I use for climbing and longer rides. The Kickr Snap has power, so as long as I'm training indoors I have that.

I'm not sure I'd even care about power if my HR zones hadn't started wandering. I used to know what HR I could push for a long climb, for example, to stay right at LT for the whole thing, and it was the same bpm for two decades. But now it's different and doesn't seem to stay in the same place, so I'm doing everything by RPE. On Zwift, I've been using power, and I think that would allow me to pace myself up certain climbs around here, which otherwise are a bit of a guessing game - can I make it to the top if I try for an average speed of 8 mph, for example?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-25-21, 09:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by genejockey
I tried it, and it said it was "malformed". So I found "FitFileTools" and fixed it, downloaded the file, and uploaded it to Strava, but it doesn't appear in my feed. If I try to upload it again, it tells me it appears to be a duplicate of another activity and won't accept it.

At this point, I'm throwing in the towel. At least I logged the "miles" in Strava.
UPDATE: I found it! Strava put it in January of 2015! I contacted Strava Support about moving it to the right date. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-25-21, 09:34 AM
WhyFi

As I see it, the cheapest way into the Wonderful World of Power Meters is the Stages leftside crank, for the Canyon. It's my Sunday bike, the one I use for climbing and longer rides. The Kickr Snap has power, so as long as I'm training indoors I have that.

I'm not sure I'd even care about power if my HR zones hadn't started wandering. I used to know what HR I could push for a long climb, for example, to stay right at LT for the whole thing, and it was the same bpm for two decades. But now it's different and doesn't seem to stay in the same place, so I'm doing everything by RPE. On Zwift, I've been using power, and I think that would allow me to pace myself up certain climbs around here, which otherwise are a bit of a guessing game - can I make it to the top if I try for an average speed of 8 mph, for example?
Yeah, the left crank arm meters are the most affordable, just not as easy to move around as pedals.

And yeah, pacing via power makes a big difference. First, it keeps you from over-exerting early on, which is often a problem for me. Second, it provides a nice abstraction/distraction from pain and suckitude; it's a lot easier for me to shrug off discomfort if I just tell myself to htfu and hold XXX watts.
Old 01-25-21, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, the left crank arm meters are the most affordable, just not as easy to move around as pedals.

And yeah, pacing via power makes a big difference. First, it keeps you from over-exerting early on, which is often a problem for me. Second, it provides a nice abstraction/distraction from pain and suckitude; it's a lot easier for me to shrug off discomfort if I just tell myself to htfu and hold XXX watts.
That's my biggest problem on the local climbs - Old La Honda, especially. The lower part is not that steep, so it feels silly keeping my speed low, but if I don't, the steeper last half kills me. Still, none of the times I climbed it this year left me puking, so I KNOW I could have done more!

Old 01-25-21, 09:59 AM
WhyFi

Still, none of the times I climbed it this year left me puking, so I KNOW I could have done more!
Yup, and that's why it's really nice to put numbers on that.
Old 01-25-21, 10:09 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Obsidian is a good developer. Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorites, The Outer Worlds is great, and Pillars is an awesome modern/throwback RPG.

Have you played Dragon Age: Origins? Classic - one of my absolute favorite RPGs. Great characters, story and mechanics. You can pause battles and delegate or (I found this really enjoyable) you can program actions and let 'em rip, whether it's concentrating on taking out mages first or healing other party members when they're at low health or performing a sweeping knockdown when surrounded by X enemies within melee range. Awesome game.
I played all of the DA games- loved them
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-25-21, 10:13 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
That and 2x of the most unlikely catches in SB history.
Rodney Harrison will probably never forgive himself for not breaking up that play, even though it was destined. You can't stop destiny.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygAegUIARDCAQ
Old 01-25-21, 10:22 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,617 Times in 2,121 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
If your friend does this pretty much every morning, not a concern. Our bodies become tolerant to the blood pressure effects of caffeine with daily use.

If it's over the top, try not to do this again.
My friend should not have worried. BP was 72/126. HR was 44. A+ for a "well trained athletic heart. Keep on riding and turn off the low heart rate alarm on your watch."

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-25-21, 10:25 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by LowCel
Howdy all, thought I would stop in to say hello and to post a progress update. I've been doing pretty okay recently on my diet and exercise. I managed to ride a little over 5,300 miles last year and have a goal of 6,000 miles for 2021.

I'm currently down 85 pounds, from 295 to 210. I'm still just as ugly but that isn't nearly as easy to fix. My initial goal is to get to 195 then decide if I want to go lower.

Anyway, that's about it for me. Hope everyone is doing well.

Congrats! I saw that pic somewhere else (FB?) and was quite impressed. You should be proud.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-25-21, 10:29 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 2,223 Posts

search light, nevada looks better in fall out vs real life. IMO.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-25-21, 10:31 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I recently went down the rabbit hole with Metro Exodus and its DLCs. I played everything twice. Steam says that i have 84 hours invested.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-25-21, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I recently went down the rabbit hole with Metro Exodus and its DLCs. I played everything twice. Steam says that i have 84 hours invested.
I'll have to check that out, too.

But 84 hours? Pffft - you don't want to know how many hours I've got in to Fallout: New Vegas.
Old 01-25-21, 10:41 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
It all counts.
If on the road.

Originally Posted by rjones28
Trumpeter, duh.
Trumpet isn't the loudest noise I've been exposed to.
Old 01-25-21, 10:48 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
My older brother is very in to video games, so I tried to get in to them as well.

I learned two things:

1. I'm not nearly clever enough to solve some of the challenges presented.
2. I get frightened easily. I remember trying to play Morrowind and having the crap scared out of me when creatures would appear out of nowhere.
Old 01-25-21, 11:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I'll have to check that out, too.

But 84 hours? Pffft - you don't want to know how many hours I've got in to Fallout: New Vegas.
I've tried to do Fallout 4 twice and haven't gotten past an hour or so. Is FO-NV more of the same?

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 01-25-21 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 11:09 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
What was?
Old 01-25-21, 11:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts

I think the loudest noise I was exposed to was when lightning hit the transformer on the power pole across the street from where I was standing.

I was also near a lightning strike in the desert on my motorcycle but I had a helmet covering my ears. I don't remember that one being nearly as loud.

I had a brake bleeder explode in my face as 2 of us were handling it. It was stunning how loud it was, not to mention having brake fluid blown under my eyelids at high pressure.
Old 01-25-21, 11:14 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 2,223 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
My older brother is very in to video games, so I tried to get in to them as well.

I learned two things:

1. I'm not nearly clever enough to solve some of the challenges presented.
2. I get frightened easily. I remember trying to play Morrowind and having the crap scared out of me when creatures would appear out of nowhere.

I get addicted, and start wanting to play all the time. The worst part about it, I usually feel worse after than before I started. Now my time is so limited I don’t have the time even if I wanted. I did just pass level 1439 on candy crush.
Old 01-25-21, 11:25 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I've tried to do Fallout 4 twice and haven't gotten past an hour or so. Is FO-NV more of the same?
It's similar but better. It uses the same engine, but there are some tweaks to gameplay and the storylines, and story telling in general, are better.

Character creation and the tutorial is the most tedious bit - is that what turned you off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.