Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 06:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Spendog
Picked up a Nishiki frame for a hundred bones off of craigslist last week. He said it was a 1979 International--looks about right to me based on what I can see on the net....
Welcome to the forums. Here's a link to the photos https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/440183

Based on the serial number, the frame was definitely built in 1979. The serial number isn't very high, so I doubt it's a 1980 model manufactured in late 1979. The decal scheme is correct for the era. Enjoy your new acquisition.
Old 12-16-20, 10:38 AM
Spendog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh nice! Thank you T-Mar. Yeah isn't that seat post interesting? I've never seen one like it but to be honest most of the 1970s models I've worked on were lower end than this one.
Old 12-16-20, 12:14 PM
T-Mar

Oh nice! Thank you T-Mar. Yeah isn't that seat post interesting? I've never seen one like it but to be honest most of the 1970s models I've worked on were lower end than this one.
The seat post looks like the fluted version of the JPR 3001 seat post from France or at least a clone of it.
Old 12-16-20, 06:26 PM
meerameera

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for posting about Vintage Nishiki bikes and the serial number database. It helped me feel good about making my recent bicycle purchase. I am fifty and out of shape, I haven't had a bike I liked since I was 15 when I had a small Nishiki Mixte. I have injuries that make biking a better form of exercise so I looked for a vintage Nishiki. On craigslist I found a beautiful one: a blue 19" 1978 Nishiki Olympic Royal Mixte cruiser in fantastic condition with nearly all original parts (appears only seat and tires were upgraded in the 1980s per the bike shop guy). Many thanks for your posts, they helped me decide it was a great bike for me. I've ridden more in the last week than I have in 25 years. (Note I tried to post photos of bike, components and serial number like you asked for, but as I am new to the forum it is blocked.) Serial number: KH 04329 with a stylized W below. Incomplete components list: Tube labeled chrome molybdenum, Suntour Vx front and rear derailer, Crank says Super Maxy, Suntour "Power" Shifters, Dia-Compe brakes and brake handles, "Silver Win" handle bars, ARAYA rims "27 x 1 1/4 w/o (N)" (Aluminum).

Last edited by meerameera; 12-16-20 at 06:52 PM. Reason: corrections and completeness
Old 12-16-20, 07:26 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by meerameera
Thank you for posting about Vintage Nishiki bikes and the serial number database. It helped me feel good about making my recent bicycle purchase. I am fifty and out of shape, I haven't had a bike I liked since I was 15 when I had a small Nishiki Mixte. I have injuries that make biking a better form of exercise so I looked for a vintage Nishiki. On craigslist I found a beautiful one: a blue 19" 1978 Nishiki Olympic Royal Mixte cruiser in fantastic condition with nearly all original parts (appears only seat and tires were upgraded in the 1980s per the bike shop guy). Many thanks for your posts, they helped me decide it was a great bike for me. I've ridden more in the last week than I have in 25 years. (Note I tried to post photos of bike, components and serial number like you asked for, but as I am new to the forum it is blocked.) Serial number: KH 04329 with a stylized W below. Incomplete components list: Tube labeled chrome molybdenum, Suntour Vx front and rear derailer, Crank says Super Maxy, Suntour "Power" Shifters, Dia-Compe brakes and brake handles, "Silver Win" handle bars, ARAYA rims "27 x 1 1/4 w/o (N)" (Aluminum).

Welcome to the forums. The site has a 10 post minimum before pictures can be attached to a thread, to discourage spam. However, the pictures are deposited in a gallery album. Here's link to your photos. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/20036379

The frame was definitely manufactured by Kawamura in 1978 and the frame number is low enough to be a 1978 model, as opposed to a 1979 model manufactured in late 1978. Based on the thorough description and pictures, it does appear to completely OEM, with the exception of the saddle and tyres. It was 4th in a 9 model adult line. Two additional facts are worth noting about the 1978 Olympic Royale, First, 1978 was the debut year for this model and second, the mixte model came in both dropped and all-rounder handlebar styles. However, if you wanted the latter, it was only available in blue, which was officially called "sapphire".

Good luck with your recuperation and exercise. Enjoy your new acquisition.
Old 12-16-20, 09:20 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by chip_ln
Hi T-Mar, everyone, just got a used ultra pro , SN says WN620692 - can't seem to figure out when was this made. Can you please help out? If it helps, this one is a 27 gears bike - not certain if any of the initial equipment was replaced (later after initial purchase). Most of these bikes as far i could see have 20 gears instead, so i am a bit confused about this.

also, it's got a carbon fork - perhaps this helps as well.

many thanks,
Ciprian
Hello Ciprian,

your Ultra Pro may be a European model. The serial number looks like a Danish VIN, except it does not have a letter at the end. If it is a Danish VIN then the letter at the end indicates the year. Also the WN indicates imported by Nordisk Cykelfabrik A/S.
Old 12-16-20, 10:00 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by Albion
Hi T-Mar, if I may, could I ask about my lovely Araya? This is the most "together" bike I have ever had, bought as a basket case, literally pulled out of solidified earth here in Arizona. I understand that Araya made only a short foray into making complete bikes. The BB shows C432754, nothing on the dropouts. Anything you might mention or direct me to would be gratefully received. Picture above.

Originally Posted by T-Mar

Araya models manufactured by Araya typically have a serial number format starting with ARY. Consequently, this would appear to be contract manufactured. Those particular versions of the SunTour VGT and Compe-V derailleurs suggest a relatively narrow range, circa 1974-1977. Based on that plus the serial number, my leading candidate would be a 1974 model, contract manufactured by Bridgestone. Sorry, I don't know the bicycle model name.
Hello Albion,

the serial number on your Araya is an Araya serial number, not Bridgestone. In 1977 Araya started to put an "ARY" prefix on their serial numbers. Araya frames built prior to that had serial numbers without the the prefix.

The letter "C" at the start of the serial number is for the month of frame manufacture, C = March. The first digit "4" is for the year of frame manufacture, 4 = 1974.

The bike looks in very good condition for 1974.
Likes For Hummer:
Old 12-17-20, 08:36 AM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Hummer, thank you so much for the information on the Araya. It's great to know its age with more certainty. The bike is a joy to ride, a great match between my dimensions and capabilities, and those of the machine. I see that you are in Rupert's Land, I dimly remembered it from my History lessons and take my hat off to you there in chilly Canada. Here in the greater Phoenix area even a frost is a thing to marvel on and post on Face Book, and we worry about the low temperature affecting the compound of the tyres. Best, Toby
Old 12-18-20, 03:42 PM
Spendog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nailed it on this one-- its a JPR.

Waiting on a BB derailleur cable guide and some bar end parts before the bike is finished. Mounted the Challenge Dunes and they look great.
Old 12-18-20, 06:13 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Nishiki Ultimate

Didn't need another machine and it was 30 dollars above my price these days.....(I just couldn't pass on it).....The campy parts have been removed and replaced with full Shimano 600.

A bit rusty, but it'll clean up nicely.

Has campy dropouts.
Old 12-22-20, 10:57 AM
chip_ln

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
Hello Ciprian,

your Ultra Pro may be a European model. The serial number looks like a Danish VIN, except it does not have a letter at the end. If it is a Danish VIN then the letter at the end indicates the year. Also the WN indicates imported by Nordisk Cykelfabrik A/S.

many thanks Hummer for the additional info, will check it again someday to perhaps confirm that last letter. Best!
Old 01-18-21, 06:16 PM
Alj10571

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Serial Number: W90038091
Cant find this serial number anywhere in the data base. Also has 12585129 written on the bottom bracket shell. The original decals said it was a nishiki with Tange 1 tubing however I just want to know if it is in fact a nishiki and what year and model it is!

some photos of the frame:

Likes For Alj10571:
Old 01-23-21, 06:29 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Yeah, not a Nishiki but I'm wondering if you know which Japanese bicycle factory/makers put their serial numbers on the seat tube near the bb?
Try this thread on Sentinel.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...at-really.html
Old 01-23-21, 08:56 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by Guy Hallamllam
I'm very impressed by the longevity and comprehensive coverage of this thread, came upon it whilst searching to identify a frame number on something that claimed to be a Bob Jackson, but is not. It's been butchered about a bit, I can't add photos I'm afraid, but the serial number is KS01110. Components were a mix of all sorts of good bad and ugly so won't help with the year I don't think. It's probably going for scrap but I'd like to know what I'm throwing out!
Hi Guy,
I know this reply is a little late.

This serial number is probably for a frame manufactured by Tsunoda. The serial number stamping font and format are the same as Tsunoda. The first letter "K" is for the year of frame manufacture. I am not sure but I believe that K=1980. The letter "S" is for the month and I am not sure which month.

Tsunoda frames are found with the Tsunoda brand name and other brand names.

Last edited by Hummer; 01-23-21 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-21, 09:04 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by eclps
I have this Nishiki Cascade but I cannot find any serial number nor any look alike on the internet. It's a textured granite grey paint with pink highlights. I haven't found a similar paint.
Hi eclps,

The serial number is probably under the down tube or lower backside of the seat tube. It may be difficult to see because the paint is thick.

The paint style is not uncommon for 1990.
Old 01-23-21, 09:41 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by Markbobb
Hi,

I've picked up an old nishiki frame which looks like it was made in the Netherlands in 1980 from the stamp. It didn't have forks with it so I'm going to replace abut wanted to know what sort of 1" headset to buy please, JIS or ISO?

Frame No. NL000343

Photos not allowed as new to the forum
Hello Markbobb,

welcome to the forum. I have seen that format of serial number before and it was found on Nishiki models from New Zealand. The two models of Nishiki that I have seen from New Zealand are Prestige and Tri-A, and both were reported to be year 1985.
Old 01-27-21, 01:19 AM
baguslho

Bikes: Nishiki International 1986

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hi everyone, i'm from indonesia, i want to ask what actually size of diameter seatpost my bike (international 1986)? coz now im use sr laprade 26,8, thank you
Old 02-02-21, 10:02 AM
Spendog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to say dude-- I don't have a 1986 International, and I cant find a catalog online. Not even sure that a catalog could tell you.

But you're using a SR Laprade 26.8mm and it works? Could be a 26.8mm seat tube then, no?
Old 02-10-21, 04:31 AM
owh

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barbarian

Hi everyone - this thread is not just a nugget, but an ore of golden info.

I've got this Nishiki Barbarian (in Sweden). Serial # is EH403713 (unless more is characters are hidden behind the cable guide). I haven't found any info, pictures or catalogs that have helped me date it.

Can I assume it is a 1988 by the "H" in the serial? Does anybody have a link to 1984, -5 and 8 catalogs?

Other info:
I'm new on the forum (long time lurker), so I can't share the photos directly, but here is a link imgur [dot] com/a/2sPcjZK
Frame stickers say "Handmade by Nishiki", "Barbarian", "Tange MTB Cr-Mo Tubing, PG tubes".
Suntour deraillers and shifters
SR Custom triple crankset that very much feel like its oval.
Sansin hubs and araya rims.
hatta vesta crown
Old 02-10-21, 11:55 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Alj10571
Serial Number: W90038091
Cant find this serial number anywhere in the data base. Also has 12585129 written on the bottom bracket shell. The original decals said it was a nishiki with Tange 1 tubing however I just want to know if it is in fact a nishiki and what year and model it is!

some photos of the frame:
There's no reason doubt it being a Nishiki. I've seen that serial number format on several Nishiki and it's from 1990. The frame is an excellent match for the Tange #1 mono-stay frame was used on both the 1990 International and Prestige but I have seen the International with the black paint strings on the white base coat, so that would be my leading candidate. If the components are Shimano 105SC, that would clinch it being an International. The 1990 Prestige was Shimano RX100. Here's picture of one. It's not mine, so I'm not responsible for it being non-drive side and poor resolution. The 1989 frames were the same but typically had Nishiki's 'N' logo embossed into the reinforcing collar on the top of the seat tube. I trust this helps.
Old 02-10-21, 12:35 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by owh
Hi everyone - this thread is not just a nugget, but an ore of golden info.

I've got this Nishiki Barbarian (in Sweden). Serial # is EH403713 (unless more is characters are hidden behind the cable guide). I haven't found any info, pictures or catalogs that have helped me date it.

Can I assume it is a 1988 by the "H" in the serial? Does anybody have a link to 1984, -5 and 8 catalogs?

Other info:
I'm new on the forum (long time lurker), so I can't share the photos directly, but here is a link imgur [dot] com/a/2sPcjZK
Frame stickers say "Handmade by Nishiki", "Barbarian", "Tange MTB Cr-Mo Tubing, PG tubes".
Suntour deraillers and shifters
SR Custom triple crankset that very much feel like its oval.
Sansin hubs and araya rims.
hatta vesta crown
While the serial number indicates that the frame was manufactured in 1988 for the European market, it could be a 1989 model manufactured in late 1988. The problem is that Nishiki were spec'd differently for each market and most of the surviving catalogues are from Canada and the USA (and even they could be different). We might be able to narrow down the model year based on component date codes. The components page of the Vintage-Trek website is an excellent resource for identifying and decrypting component date codes.
Old 03-05-21, 07:19 PM
baguslho

Bikes: Nishiki International 1986

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hard to say dude-- I don't have a 1986 International, and I cant find a catalog online. Not even sure that a catalog could tell you.

But you're using a SR Laprade 26.8mm and it works? Could be a 26.8mm seat tube then, no?
it a big no, cause i think the size is near 31.8 and more than 27.2
Old 03-06-21, 10:04 AM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
I have a Hybrid407 Nishiki. I have never seen another. I'll try and get the serial number later.

Last edited by h_curtis; 03-06-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 10:46 AM
twa

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2013 Novara FlyBy (folding), 2021 All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
1976 International

Just completed frame re-painting and re-assembly of my 1976 Nishiki International. Here is some info for the database:

Frame SN: KF04313, 23"
Original color--burgundy red with gold lug outlines, now Rust-Oleum dark hunter green
Purchase Year: 1976, West Los Angeles, CA (Bikecology on Wilshire Blvd, IIRC)
FD: Suntour SL, Date Code 4532
RD: Suntour VT Luxe
Crank: Sugino Maxy 171mm, Date F-5
Freewheel: Suntour Pro Compe 14-28, Date?
Rims: Araya 27 x1-1/4 W/O HP, 36H
Hubs: Shimano, Date Codes AD (Front) AF (Rear)
Seatpost: 26.6 mm
Stem: Sunshine 80
Bars: Champion
Pedals: KKT Pro Ace
Shifters: Suntour Bar End, PA5
Brakes: Dia-Compe Side-Pull (Non-original) Caliper Date 1080 (Forgot why I replaced the original center-pulls.)
Levers: Dia-Compe (Non-original), drillium style, no QR lever, no safety levers
Seat, tires are modern Performance Bike budget models

Old 03-06-21, 04:19 PM
Davidgoldman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki international performance equipe- need info!

Picked up this super red and Shiki international 4130 CR MO And found this thread hoping to find some more info. Pick it up from the gentleman at a garage sale he didn’t have any info. Anything that you guys could give would be super appreciated! I tried uploading photos, but it saying I can’t because I haven’t posted enough on bike forums. The bike is white with a splattering of black and it’s a change number one made in Taiwan. Has the red and blue does Shiki emblems and it says it’s the performance equip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.