Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tubulars slightly larger than clinchers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 03:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts

I just put 650x28c tires on my son’s bike. Just for sheets and giggles I put his front wheel onto my Battaglin to test for fit.
this was the original 26”x22mm tubular which came on the Battaglin:

There was just about a 5mm Allen wrench clearance under the front brake calipers.
Now I put the 650x28c wheel on there:

It still had roughly the same amount of clearance as before. It clears a 5mm Allen wrench but won’t clear 6.
So it seems like tubulars have a slightly larger rolling diameter than the equivalent clinchers.
Old 12-05-20, 04:24 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
So it seems like tubulars have a slightly larger rolling diameter than the equivalent clinchers.
I don't think you can generalize like that. Lots of factors come into play, not just clinchers v tubulars. Most important will probably be the specific manufacturer's processes, but wheel width, casing materials and such also have an effect.
Old 12-06-20, 06:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
One of the key differences between tubulars and clinchers is that rim width can affect clincher tire width and aspect ratio. A tubular tire width and aspect ratio is more consistent because it doesn't use rim beads to attach to the rim.
Old 12-06-20, 06:21 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I just want to see the bike.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-06-20, 11:02 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I just want to see the bike.

I am planning to change to clincher wheels because I am lame and can’t handle tubulars. I’ll update the drivetrain to a 600 tri-color group as well, with bar end shifters.
Unfortunately it’s on my ‘project backburner’ right now.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-06-20, 11:31 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Nice bike!
Old 12-06-20, 11:48 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Clincher tire actual widths is one of my favorite rants, but I'm feeling jolly right now so I'll spare y'all the ranty part. The basic story is that there is no real manufacturing/industry standard for labeling tire widths, which is compounded by the fact that, as I understand it, there's also some width variability from one tire mold to another, for the same tire. Tire pressure and rim width directly affect actual widths for clincher tires, so without a standard there's no way to tell at what pressure/rim-width a mfr specifies width. There's also a history of marketing considerations impacting labeled widths, re: back in the day many/most mfrs grossly overstated width dimensions so that their 28mm-labeled tire, which was actually 25mm, had an impressively low weight---because it wasn't actually 28mm wide...

nomadmax is entirely correct that tubular tire width is not dependent on rim width, though tire pressure does matter.

I don't understand the physics well enough to guess whether tubular tires, not having rim width as a variable, with their widthe seemingly baked in, change less in width with tire pressure than clinchers.
Old 12-06-20, 12:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
I don't understand the physics well enough to guess whether tubular tires, not having rim width as a variable, with their width seemingly baked in, change less in width with tire pressure than clinchers.
They also change shape a little differently at the contact patch, but that generally doesn't affect the clearance at the brakes, which is what most people are concerned about when this issue comes up.

The thing is, you have to give yourself a little margin of error whenever you're cutting it close on clearance.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-06-20, 05:54 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
One of the key differences between tubulars and clinchers is that rim width can affect clincher tire width and aspect ratio. A tubular tire width and aspect ratio is more consistent because it doesn't use rim beads to attach to the rim.
True! But also, it's just a bad assumption that a 650wheel with tire wll always be smaller than a 700c wheel with tire. 700c tubular tire widths can be as low as 20 mm, which makes for a pretty darn small wheel. A frame special built for the 20 mm tubular can easily be too small for many 650b wheels.