Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek’s very long lead time pushing me to buy other brands readily available

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek’s very long lead time pushing me to buy other brands readily available

Old 01-26-21, 09:27 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Snotrub
Wow, BSS was a major player in cycling in Central Texas. My friend that owns the LBS here told me Trek is gobbling up large, locally owned bike shops around the country. Some, he said, have been taken over after a shop gets behind on their credit.
it sounds like the owner was doing VERY well before he sold to Trek. nice little retirement nest egg for his family, so good for them.
Old 01-26-21, 09:36 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
it sounds like the owner was doing VERY well before he sold to Trek. nice little retirement nest egg for his family, so good for them.
Oops. I didn't mean to imply that they fell behind. Just repeating what an insider told me about some shops around the country.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 01-26-21, 10:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Specialized sent a (poorly received) letter to their dealer network suggesting it might be a good time to sell out. Either to Spesh or to investors that Spesh would find for the shop.
They have the most draconian terms for their dealers right now, many of whom have maxed their credit lines.
Old 01-26-21, 01:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Specialized sent a (poorly received) letter to their dealer network suggesting it might be a good time to sell out. Either to Spesh or to investors that Spesh would find for the shop.
They have the most draconian terms for their dealers right now, many of whom have maxed their credit lines.
?? I'm trying to understand how a bike shop would have maxed their credit line when almost every new bike, aka the big ticket items in a bike shop, are sold out?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-26-21, 01:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I love Specialized but sometimes they are completely tone deaf and just too heavy handed. They generally make some decent products that people love but then they pull stunts like this and it is really frustrating.
Old 01-26-21, 07:58 PM
BigYinz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
are you willing to share your source for this claim? i haven’t seen anything about it in BRAIN or elsewhere in the web.
Old 01-26-21, 09:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
This information is not correct.
Old 01-26-21, 09:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I love Specialized but sometimes they are completely tone deaf and just too heavy handed. They generally make some decent products that people love but then they pull stunts like this and it is really frustrating.
Can’t believe everything one reads on the internet.
Old 01-26-21, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Can’t believe everything one reads on the internet.
True, I also frequently don't read their IBD news because I am more focused on checking up on or filing another warranty. Still though I stand by saying they are sometimes a bit heavy handed and do things that are frustrating.
Old 01-27-21, 06:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by BigYinz
are you willing to share your source for this claim? i haven’t seen anything about it in BRAIN or elsewhere in the web.
Here's a link to another discussion that refers to the letter that was received. Evidently not every dealer received this though.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...2&postcount=84
Old 01-27-21, 11:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This information is not correct.
Which part? Letter or draconian terms?
Old 01-27-21, 11:05 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Which part? Letter or draconian terms?
Perhaps post the letter but I have not seen this letter in our marketplace.
Old 01-27-21, 11:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Yes, just for fun maybe someone can post the screenshot that was linked to on that other forum? Those who are non members there can't see it.
Old 01-27-21, 11:18 AM
BigYinz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Yes, just for fun maybe someone can post the screenshot that was linked to on that other forum? Those who are non members there can't see it.
i read the letter posted in another forum and i’m not seeing where spesh is pressuring dealers to sell out to them. it seems to me like they’re telling dealers if they’re thinking of closing the doors (like many small businesses are doing under covid) that spesh is willing to help them find a way to stay open.
Likes For BigYinz:
Old 01-27-21, 12:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's right, there is no pressure. The tone deafness comes from the fact that they are being very strict about their terms, so stores might not be able to buy bikes. If they are a spesh only dealer, that means they are probably going out of business. The fact that they say they have money to burn buying shops, but aren't helping with terms just means they are prioritizing putting their shops in danger of going out of business for their own short term gain. They could give shops normal terms if they have money.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-27-21 at 12:31 PM.