Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental Terra Speed vs 5000s

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 09:49 PM
bhdavis1978

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I need to get a new set of tires after I gashed the sidewalls on the 5000s I already have.

I am debating whether to stay with the 5000s (going to 32mm) or getting the Terra Speeds in a 35. I am riding a All City Cosmic Stallion. I am mostly a roadie, but there is a small amount of gravel **** road around here. I can ride it on the 28 mm Conti 5K, but it’s a little slippery. I think the Terra Speeds would be a lot better on gravel but I am not sure what I give up on pavement. I know it’s around 10 watts to 20 watts rolling resistance increase, so 20 watts total, but I’m also concerned about cornering with them, or riding in wet and rainy pavement conditions. I live in Vancouver, BC so wet roads are a common thing to have to contend with.

Most of my riding (85 to 90%) would still be on pavement but these could open up the pavement available to me.

The other thing is that my other nine is a race bike (TCR Advanced) and I have 23 mm Conti 5k on them. Which makes me think tj might be nice to have a bike that’s set up a differently.

Anyway, the big question is how much is it going to affect my road riding? which is my main thing
Old 01-17-21, 10:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I think not good. I was on a group ride with a strong rider on a brand new CX bike which came with CX tires, which looked rather like these Terra tires with the tiny raised cylinders. We came to a descent with some tight turns and he vanished off the back. He said if he tried to take anything fast, the bike just scooted across the road. GravelKing maybe?
Old 01-17-21, 10:39 PM
bhdavis1978

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That’s kind of what I would have expected. There aren’t a lot of descents Around here, but once covid is over and I’m back to working in the office, then I’ll have a commute up and down a hill again that has a few steepish sections. Thanks!
Old 01-17-21, 10:41 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I have both the GP5000s in 32mm and the Terra Speeds in 35mm. The GPs are much faster on pavement. Since my rides are closer to 70/30 gravel, I run the Terra Speeds. In your case, I would go the other way...I also have the 28mm GP5000s. They are even faster than the 32mms on pavement....

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 01-17-21 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 08:33 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I just put 40mm Terra Speeds on my gravel bike - and love them. PLENTY of grip in the turns. I have a BMX and MTB background and tend to push the limits on dirt/gravel descents. I have yet to (jinx in 3... 2... ) have the Terra Speeds let me down. But yeah - they're 40s and I run them at 34-36 PSI.
Old 01-18-21, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Base your tires on what you are going to ride the most. Especially if you aren't going to be on gravel every ride.
Old 01-20-21, 03:57 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've had two sets of Terra Speeds, great tire, but they wear out really fast. I wouldn't use them on anything that was going to be primarily pavement. IMO, they're more of a race day tire.
Old 01-22-21, 09:25 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You'd be better of looking at something like Gravel King slicks or Schwalbe G-One Speed or Vittoria Terreno Zero for the riding you've described. They'll corner well on tarmac and still have reasonable grip off-pavement.
Old 01-22-21, 11:06 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I was just thinking those two exact tires will be my next set of tires. GP500 in 32 or 28 will go on my road bike and Terra Speed 35 on my cross bike though . I just retired older version of Conti Speed tires in 35 on the cross bike now and they were fast for cross bike tires, but they were not "road" tires. On one of my road bikes I run GP4000 in 25 and it is a very fast feeling light tire, I suspect GP5000 will be very similar. On my cross bike now I run Gravel King in 32 mm and they are not fast enough to be used as road tires either.
I can not decide on GP5000 in 32mm for easier/faster riding on trails or 28mm for more speed on the road, but I think the difference is almost non existent.