Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Pearl Izumi products made for Asian/Japanese people?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-24-21, 12:42 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Their mtb shoes are like 1 size smaller than what I normally wear, same with their arm, leg, and shoe covers, everything feels a bit smaller than usual. The large size arm cover feels like a medium, possible between medium and small. While the size is weird, there is no question that most of their products offer great value for the money, and I would rate quality better than many big name American brands. Is Pearl Izumi the best Japanese bike accessories brand? Are there other Japanese brands that offer cycling accessories?
Old 01-24-21, 12:49 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I think they are owned by Shimano. I find I need XL everything, and I am slightly shorter than the average American (but probably a bit fatter than the average cyclist).
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-24-21, 12:54 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I think their sizing is for everyone except fat Americans. the rest of the world has to size down if the product was designed by Americans.
Old 01-24-21, 12:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
there is really no standard closing sizes. just ask women.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-24-21, 01:01 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I find this comment too funny to be offensive

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I think their sizing is for everyone except fat Americans. the rest of the world has to size down if the product was designed by Americans.
Likes For Obeast:
Old 01-24-21, 01:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
havent had much luck with there products for being long enough. The bigger I select in size only makes it baggy. Sucks being taller.
Old 01-24-21, 01:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I actually find their sizing to be pretty good as I am not skinny and their jerseys, shorts, and shoes match up with what I normally wear. And I am not asian if that matters.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-24-21, 02:54 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Their mtb shoes are like 1 size smaller than what I normally wear, same with their arm, leg, and shoe covers, everything feels a bit smaller than usual. The large size arm cover feels like a medium, possible between medium and small. While the size is weird, there is no question that most of their products offer great value for the money, and I would rate quality better than many big name American brands. Is Pearl Izumi the best Japanese bike accessories brand? Are there other Japanese brands that offer cycling accessories?
Their web site said that size 42 equals size 9 in U.S. I ordered mtb shoes size 42 but box i got said 42= 8.5 I couldn't even begin to get my fat American feet in them
Old 01-24-21, 02:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Why would it have to be "Asian/Japanese" people specifically? A good deal of cycling apparel is made for generally skinnier folks and less so for people of average body size or above.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-24-21, 03:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Pearl's sizing is well known to be an American fit. A medium Pearl is probably an XL in many European brands. Yes, we Americans are fatter than the rest of the world. This is not news. Like most manufacturers, Pearl makes various levels of apparel. Some nicer than others but mostly decent to above average.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-24-21, 03:02 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Their web site said that size 42 equals size 9 in U.S. I ordered mtb shoes size 42 but box i got said 42= 8.5 I couldn't even begin to get my fat American feet in them
I always have to size up cycling shoes the brand doesn’t matter, I wear a 46 in every shoe but cycling shoes where I wear a 47
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-24-21, 04:03 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Pearl's sizing is well known to be an American fit. A medium Pearl is probably an XL in many European brands. Yes, we Americans are fatter than the rest of the world. This is not news. Like most manufacturers, Pearl makes various levels of apparel. Some nicer than others but mostly decent to above average.
PI offers several different cuts.

I need an XL in their PRO line, large in the Elite line, and a medium in their mountain bike line.

The PRO line is pretty similar to a lot of the European brands. I take an XL or XXL in Castelli, for instance.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 01-24-21, 04:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why would it have to be "Asian/Japanese" people specifically? A good deal of cycling apparel is made for generally skinnier folks and less so for people of average body size or above.
You should direct this question to those who produce and size the clothing.
It is well established that some clothing sizing is labeled 'asian', 'euro', and 'american'. Also, it is common for brands to explain that an American should size up and select XXL instead of L, for example.

Reality is that we aren't all the same. It is nice that this is recognized and specifics are listed when considering clothing you cant try on in person before ordering.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-24-21, 09:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
These shoes are the same size as my previous Shimano shoes and fit just as well. I’m not Asian/Japanese. Must be you.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-24-21, 09:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steamer
I need an XL in their PRO line, large in the Elite line,
Same here. I have XL in both bibs. The Elite is a bit too large.
Old 01-24-21, 09:37 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Pearl Izumi was founded in Colorado, so although it's owned by Shimano now, I wouldn't think of it as a Japanese accessories company.

I do whenever people complain about sizing. I use a tape measure and go by size charts, which have never been off in chest/hip/waist, only length. For me, PI stuff tends to be longer for the nominal size than other brands, but even their Pro line is baggy compared to every other brand that I have bought.
Likes For surak:
Old 01-24-21, 09:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by surak
Pearl Izumi was founded in Colorado, so although it's owned by Shimano now, I wouldn't think of it as a Japanese accessories company.

I do whenever people complain about sizing. I use a tape measure and go by size charts, which have never been off in chest/hip/waist, only length. For me, PI stuff tends to be longer for the nominal size than other brands, but even their Pro line is baggy compared to every other brand that I have bought.
Guess you’re not familiar with the OP. SOP for his threads.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-25-21, 06:37 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
These shoes are the same size as my previous Shimano shoes and fit just as well. I’m not Asian/Japanese. Must be you.

We have the same cat. FWIW, size S in Izumi and other brands.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-25-21, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
We have the same cat.
Not mine. He’s a little imp that lives in Rockwood, PA. Meet him during a September tour across the state.
Old 01-25-21, 07:37 AM
Kabuto

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Their mtb shoes are like 1 size smaller than what I normally wear, same with their arm, leg, and shoe covers, everything feels a bit smaller than usual.
Pearl Izumi wear sold in Japan is made for the local market > local sizes. The stuff you get in the US is not the same. Model names are different, designs are different, and the sizes are... larger.

Is Pearl Izumi the best Japanese bike accessories brand? Are there other Japanese brands that offer cycling accessories?
It's probably the top brand, but there are others, including the brands below. But again, made for the locals, not for bigger westerners.

STEM DESIGN
KAPELMUUR
narifuri
TOKYO WHEELS
CaLORS
Old 01-25-21, 08:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
It's hard to beat trying clothes on in a store, as 20th century as that sounds. After you find something that fits, buy one in the store and then you can order more on-line. How much time and postage does it take to return something that was sized too small, and how does that compare with cost and time "savings" from mail-order?

It's not just shorts and shoes, either. I ordered some winter gloves my LBS didn't carry. Two out of three pairs were unusable because the fingers were too short -- do designers really thing XXL hand's fingers are no longer than M??
Old 01-25-21, 10:44 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I like Castellie and they are also quite small. Italians must be Asians or something
Old 01-26-21, 06:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
With the fancier brands there may be an "aspirational" aspect to their sizing. Having us porkers decked out in their kit isn't going to help so they make it difficult. You aren't going to see Lampre Man in an ad even if he grew 3 day stubble and developed chiseled cheekbones.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-26-21, 06:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I think they are owned by Shimano. I find I need XL everything, and I am slightly shorter than the average American (but probably a bit fatter than the average cyclist).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Izumi
Old 01-26-21, 10:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
What they need to do is make cycling shoes with actual widths, such as A to EEE so those of us with wide feet can have a comfortable shoe.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-27-21 at 04:08 PM.
Likes For rydabent:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.