Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Old 12-31-20, 05:00 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I don't know how you feel about shellac, but amber would pull the tape much closer to the saddle color. Pretty bike.
I've never shellacked bars before, but these might be the first. How many coats would you recommend?
Old 12-31-20, 06:09 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I've never shellacked bars before, but these might be the first. How many coats would you recommend?
3 or 4. Some do more, but I feel like it starts to look too glossy/plasticky if you go too far. This is Newbaum’s maroon with amber.
Oops - with 700c wheels. My bad.

Likes For due ruote:
Old 12-31-20, 06:16 PM
Jmclay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Baby got new wheels. I think I posted this over on the "Whatcha Wrenching?" thread, but since 650b is so integral to what the bike is today, thought I'd update here as well.

I started de-tubifying a bunch of old wheelsets, and got myself a neo-retro set of "new" wheels built with vintage Campy 36h high-flange road hubs, liberated from a trashed tubie wheelset, and brandy-new Pacenti Brevel 650b clincher rims. Swapped the road axles to track, used a bb lockring to snug down the fixed cog on the freewheel threads, and Bob's yer muva's bruva. The wider Brevets get me a little more width, now about 33mm at 75psi-ish riding pressure.

Updated photo shows the right-side dummy brake lever, a huge help on the road. Since this photo I scored a 172.5 Campy crank to replace these 170mm arms, and a set of BMX MKS chain tensioners that fit the fat/thick rear ends/dropouts better. Not much of a visual difference, but I like longer crankarms, and when you can't stop spinning, the extra 2.5mm is a help. And with a shallow bb drop only 55mm or so, the extra 2.5mm crankarm length shouldn't give me any cornering problems.

Finally got a proper ride on it with the new wheels, and it works really well. Fairly well-mannered on the road for a frame purpose-built for track racing, the 650b wheels/tires scrub off the harsh edge of skinny 700c tires without much muting the frame's aggressive nature. This is definitely not a 650b conversion that has me floating over all manner of road irregularities, and though trail-able, it sure wouldn't be my first choice for that. But I managed a respectable 28mi ride feeling worked pretty good, but not beat-up.

Very, very pretty and it has to be vastly more enjoyable on real world roads, even if you couldn't fit big rubber on it.
Old 12-31-20, 06:38 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by due ruote
3 or 4. Some do more, but I feel like it starts to look too glossy/plasticky if you go too far. This is Newbaum’s maroon with amber.
Oops - with 700c wheels. My bad.
Looks great, thanks
Old 12-31-20, 07:16 PM
Jmclay

Not a conversion, a new frame from my shop...and not 650b, but spiritually and functionally singing loudly in the same choir. Still, I thought y'all might like a look. The 559x50mm Rat Trap Pass tire is a better 650b than 650b, though a bit more challenging to fit! This is for one of my brothers; the one still in Tally; but it's entirely possible that an encore will end up in Modena, Italy for my oldest brother... though he already has one of my frames, if for the relatively skinny McClure Pass tire. And you didn't know that "Clay" was an old Italian name? This is the first one with my name on it; I've focused my energies exclusively on the frames, not the advertising. But it's time. How'bout that nearly Molteni orange! And the chainstays...Big room for big rubber, and associated fenders. The paint's been curing in the attic for a few weeks so I recon it's about time to build it out.

Happy New Year, all!

Last edited by Jmclay; 12-31-20 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 07:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
+1

It's often mentioned as the first thing to check, but I've only had one (1) bike that had a smidgen of an issue with low BB height. The pedals would scrape when I rode in the speedbump cutout through an apartment parking lot shortcut on my commute home. The bumps were a bit high, I just learned to keep the pedals horizontal when riding through there.

Rarely an issue.
I agree completely! I bought a 650b Terraferma Super Corsa. Mike Terraferma told me back then he built nearly all his bikes with 8 cm BB drop. Nominal estimated diameter of the wheel is 584 + 2*42 = 668 mm, with a tire height of 42 mm for a 584 x 42c being the estimated part. I use 170 mm crankset arms and narrow-Q chainset with touring platform pedals like the old Campy C-record, with no striking. But the similar diameter of a wheel with 22 mm tubulars is 666. I have not seen much of long distance riders using such bikes complaining about problems with 8 cm BB drop.
Old 01-01-21, 11:10 PM
rando_couche

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb

'83 DiNucci/Road-Sport:

Oh. DiNucci. No wonder it's so GORGEOUS!!!! (If I had the means, I'd have Mark build me one...)
Old 01-03-21, 06:19 AM
Jmclay

PSA: Low and tight fork raking available; ping me off-list if you need such.

I'm also refining my ROR chainstay bending to accomodate 60+mm fenders none/minimal stay crimps. I can do that on an experimental basis for other builders; some in-process photos, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/216244...57717250289361

Electrical Slip Ring fabrication photos for general how-I-did-it info (the Hirose approach, smaller hole in the steerer tube), here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/216244...57710996851941

Likes For Jmclay:
Old 01-23-21, 12:35 PM
abshipp 

Something a bit different - an amateur built Columbus SL track bike with 38mm Pari-Motos. This fork would just barely clear 700c X 23 and there was no clearance for a brake, hence the conversion.

48x17 gearing should land me in the 72" range.

37mm actual in the rear and 39mm actual in the front. Barely enough room in the back, I'm hoping the wheel is stiff enough to not flex too much. A little ride around the neighborhood last night gave me some optimism that it will work.

Now it just needs to not be 10°F so I can go have some fun
Likes For abshipp:
Old 01-23-21, 01:35 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmclay
PSA: Low and tight fork raking available; ping me off-list if you need such.

I'm also refining my ROR chainstay bending to accomodate 60+mm fenders none/minimal stay crimps. I can do that on an experimental basis for other builders; some in-process photos, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/216244...57717250289361

Electrical Slip Ring fabrication photos for general how-I-did-it info (the Hirose approach, smaller hole in the steerer tube), here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/216244...57710996851941

That fork bend is really nicely done! And I've been following your electrical slip ring project... really nice stuff there!
Old 01-26-21, 10:58 PM
hellojoben

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Everyone! This thread has given me enough inspiration that I'm investing my hard earned cash to build a 650b wheelset to convert my Allez. I was wondering if any of y'all had experience with Velocity's Quill rim in 650b? Like others here that have converted racier frames, my bike can clear a 38mm-40mm with rims that a smaller internal width but am unsure of how the tires will sit on the Quill. I don't post here much, a bikeforums visit always leaves me wanting to buy and or build up something new haha

Likes For hellojoben:
Old 01-27-21, 08:34 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by hellojoben
Hi Everyone! This thread has given me enough inspiration that I'm investing my hard earned cash to build a 650b wheelset to convert my Allez. I was wondering if any of y'all had experience with Velocity's Quill rim in 650b? Like others here that have converted racier frames, my bike can clear a 38mm-40mm with rims that a smaller internal width but am unsure of how the tires will sit on the Quill. I don't post here much, a bikeforums visit always leaves me wanting to buy and or build up something new haha

What a beautiful Allez SE! I have plans to convert my wife’s SE to 650b as well, but with A23 rims - the Quill is wider. With 38mm tires, I wouldn’t worry too much about internal rim width. I routinely Mount 38mm tires on old Mavic MA40 rims (~14mm internal) with no problem. I say go for it!
Old 01-27-21, 09:25 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Not exactly vintage, but I was going for that effect anyway. The Montague Fit is designed around 700c wheels, but the disc brakes made for an easy swap.
I could only get a 30mm tire on the back, the vestigial brake bridge being the only obstacle. With the 650b wheels, I've easily cleared 48mm Gravel Kings.

Likes For velojym:
Old 01-28-21, 12:05 PM
hellojoben

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
What a beautiful Allez SE! I have plans to convert my wife’s SE to 650b as well, but with A23 rims - the Quill is wider. With 38mm tires, I wouldn’t worry too much about internal rim width. I routinely Mount 38mm tires on old Mavic MA40 rims (~14mm internal) with no problem. I say go for it!
Thanks Dave! I had it repainted after a flub at a local bike kitchen that dented my cable guide. My worry is that the wider rim will balloon the 38 tire and it'll end up being too wide for my chain stays.
Old 01-28-21, 08:24 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by hellojoben
Thanks Dave! I had it repainted after a flub at a local bike kitchen that dented my cable guide. My worry is that the wider rim will balloon the 38 tire and it'll end up being too wide for my chain stays.
Ha - I see you over on the 650b google group! Hopefully the Panaracer chart will help guide you. However, I still think it will be a worthy effort with 38's. Report back on your results.
Old 01-29-21, 01:04 AM
Hproduguidon

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 127 Posts
in France the most popular 650b is 44x584 and 650x35b

Last edited by Hproduguidon; 01-29-21 at 01:17 AM.
Likes For Hproduguidon:
Old 01-29-21, 01:14 AM
Hproduguidon

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 127 Posts
Old 01-31-21, 01:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Raleigh Super Tourer - now with 10% more Gugificazione!

This one started out as a "standard" 650b conversion + powder coat. Customer decided that a custom front rack was desired for randonneuring, but why not some custom lowriders to turn it into a campeur when desired?

Here's the list of mods:
1. Reraked fork to obtain 35mm trail
2. Repositioned rear triangle bridges for proper fenderline
3. 3 sets of Bottle bosses, BB cable guides, shifter bosses, relocated brake cable slots and used slotted bits for ease of rinko
4. Modified Lezeyne road pump (added spring) and brazed pump pegs on the non-drive side
5. Custom handlebar bag rack
6. Custom low rider racks
7. Patched a few small dents
8. Internal fork wiring for generator hub
9. Seat tube tail light by Velo Lumino (our own @southpawboston, proprietor)
10. Spread rear dropouts to 130mm for modern cassette usage
11. Brazed in a 7 o'clock stop on the 4 o'clock stop on the Huret derailleur hanger

And then, a curveball.

Ever since I saw a description of Rene Herse's slip ring conductor method of supplying power to the tail light, I've wanted to do it. I've been playing around with some ideas on how to do that. Then Jamie Swann posted step by step instructions. Customer wanted this badly, I decided to give it a whirl. I didn't do an SL dropout conversion, instead I brazed a brass tube through an enlarged vent hole near the dropout and had it reappear just below the fork crown. So we decided to do that as well.

Randonneur mode without low riders

Campeur mode. Note that I only have the upper bolt installed. Properly fitted the bottom attachment co-locates with the fender stay attachment, which would use a longer bolt.

Centerpull posts, polished MAFAC RAIDs, rinko'ed fender, pump pegs for Lezeyne road pump (modified with spring

The M4 screw is brazed into place and used as a "ground" or return path for the generator. The entire frame is part of the electrial circuit on this bike.

Last edited by gugie; 01-31-21 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 03:22 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Mark, this is looking like one heck of a conversion! Can't wait to see how the slip-ring setup works out. I've spoken to Jamie a few times about his setup, I think his is the most evolved out there. Good luck!

How much did you have to re-rake the fork to arrive at 35mm trail? I'm just curious how much it lowered the crown? And is that drop something that can be compensated for with a headset that has extra bottom stack? I'm asking because I went through the math to rerake my Shogun fork but it would result in too much crown drop.
Old 02-01-21, 12:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Mark, this is looking like one heck of a conversion! Can't wait to see how the slip-ring setup works out. I've spoken to Jamie a few times about his setup, I think his is the most evolved out there. Good luck!

How much did you have to re-rake the fork to arrive at 35mm trail? I'm just curious how much it lowered the crown? And is that drop something that can be compensated for with a headset that has extra bottom stack? I'm asking because I went through the math to rerake my Shogun fork but it would result in too much crown drop.
Hi Anton,

Slip ring works just fine! The hardest part was finding someone who could turn down some insulators for it, a buddy of mine with a small hobby lathe turned them for me, as well as prepping the blind bottle bosses for use on the contact assembly. I added a bit of Corey Thompson method to insulate the contact (some of your shrink tubing does the trick!), also need to chase the bottom of the head tube twice as deep by using a spacer on my facing tool. Jamie's Flickr album shows he's a great teacher.

Your partner Tom Matchak's white paper on reraking forks is as explanatory as it gets, and points out that the drop from reraking is dependent on the tool you're reraking with. My DIY reraker (Babe Ruth of fork rerakers) has gone to bat on several dozens of forks by now, and I've measured the drop vs amount of rake enough to know that mine decreases the fork crown clearance by about 0.17mm for every 1mm of rake. I reraked this one about 10mm, so not quite 2mm of drop. I'm not married to perfectly horizontal top tubes, and 2mm drop isn't something noticeable without a measuring using a spirit level.

My fork reraker has a fairly large radius, a smaller radius mandrel would result in a higher rate of drop per amount of rerake, I believe.
Old 02-01-21, 05:08 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by gugie
...My DIY reraker (Babe Ruth of fork rerakers) has gone to bat on several dozens of forks by now...
A double pun!!!
Old 02-01-21, 01:01 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts

Late 70s motobecane super touring.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-07-21, 02:42 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Any thoughts on needing shorter cranks on a 1982 Trek 400t Elance with 650bx38 wheels and tires?

I am digging through my garage and I've got the 46-30t rings I want on a 94 bcd 170mm crank, but I'm wondering if I should go with 165mm cranks for a little more clearance.

I've also got the parts for a 165mm 110bcd 46-34t or 48-34T, which doesn't give me the low gears I'm looking for.

After that I'm spending money on 86bcd chainrings, or falling all the way down the slippery slope to a store bought 165mm 46-30t crankset......
Old 02-07-21, 03:56 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Any thoughts on needing shorter cranks on a 1982 Trek 400t Elance with 650bx38 wheels and tires?

I am digging through my garage and I've got the 46-30t rings I want on a 94 bcd 170mm crank, but I'm wondering if I should go with 165mm cranks for a little more clearance.

I've also got the parts for a 165mm 110bcd 46-34t or 48-34T, which doesn't give me the low gears I'm looking for.

After that I'm spending money on 86bcd chainrings, or falling all the way down the slippery slope to a store bought 165mm 46-30t crankset......
If your height from the ground to the center of the cranks is at least 25.4cm/10”, you’ll be fine with 170mm cranks.
Old 02-07-21, 04:12 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Benotto 2000 -- 650b x 38 cdv

What's the first thing you do when you convert a notoriously fragile road frame to 650b? Take it to the city's mtb trails of course!

Freshly build wheels are budget-friendly Zac19s I laced to a Nouvo Tipo rear and a ritzy shimano slx disc front. Moustache bar gives it an XO-vibe. Always great when shakedown rides leave nothing but a slipped brake cable to fix.

I'm still not completely sold on this frame being the home for these wheels. As of yet, it's near the top of my list but there are a few others I may have to move everything over to test out.

No cracks yet!!!

Last edited by Dylansbob; 02-07-21 at 06:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.