Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 06:38 PM
nutmegTN
Ride like the wind!

Bikes: Trek 700 wsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heat index of 115f -- did not even stick my nose outside.
Old 07-27-11, 06:42 PM
Shreck

Bikes: Argon Gallium, E-112, Trek Boone, Specialized Epic Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 Monday, 29 last night, 15 this evening. Last night was scary, after I got home I knelt down to pat our cat and when I got up things started spinning; I grabbed the edge of the counter top and held on tight in fear of hitting the ceramic floor, all I could hear was a really bad shaking sound. I though I was going down. I have never experienced this before. I decide to go out again tonight even though I had a bad experience.
I took it easy, for the first 20 minutes then hell all broke loose. Hammering the hills and flying down the other side. Then I figured I should cool it down. No problems tonight.
Old 07-27-11, 07:13 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 last friday, 20 yesterday, 15 today. I got hit by cramping first in my right calf and then my left calf yesterday. That's a first this year since I've been mostly cramp free this year.

Since I've taken up kayaking with my wife I've had a lot less time for riding so I'm only up to 950 miles since March. I wanted to have done at least 1500 by now.

It's also tme to stay on the roads and streets where I can stay at 17-19 mph. I hit 30mph on one stretch of flats on the way home on a nice 6 mile stretch while averaging around 18 - 20 mph all without working too hard ( I feel like a slacker) . That was fun ! I haven't ridden in the drops for years and years and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I think I'll take the bike into the shop and have them flip the stem over and lower the bars for me next month. Then I really want to start cranking things up.
Old 07-27-11, 07:17 PM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shreck
18 Monday, 29 last night, 15 this evening. Last night was scary, after I got home I knelt down to pat our cat and when I got up things started spinning; I grabbed the edge of the counter top and held on tight in fear of hitting the ceramic floor, all I could hear was a really bad shaking sound. I though I was going down. I have never experienced this before. I decide to go out again tonight even though I had a bad experience.
I took it easy, for the first 20 minutes then hell all broke loose. Hammering the hills and flying down the other side. Then I figured I should cool it down. No problems tonight.
That spinning sensation means that you should pay more attention to cooling down at the end of your ride. Spend the last 5 minutes by riding around the block slowly, nothing too fast. I usually do about a mile or two at around 11mph keeping my cadence down to 60-70 rpm from my usual low 90's to slow my heart rate down before I get off the bike.
Old 07-27-11, 07:19 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Postural hypotension
Old 07-27-11, 07:25 PM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Postural hypotension
hmm "The incidence increases with age"

" can be caused by heat exhaustion and dehydration"

I forgot to mention that I also continue to rehydrate myself during that cool down period. I haven't had an episode similar to yours since then.
Old 07-27-11, 08:27 PM
nubikebuzz
no, the new new bike

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp 2001 Allez (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 47 miles today. Temps in the low to mid 90's with no wind and very little humidity. Not too bad.
But a standard day is 10-12 miles of commutes and errands.
Old 07-27-11, 11:02 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
27 miles on a club ride in NE suburbs. After hammering on a hill-climbing ride yesterday, I resolved to hang back and not try to keep up with the fast group. As it turned out, pretty much everybody else was also feeling like taking it easy (heat index was 99, after all) and so I ended up in the front group, which just wasn't going particularly fast. Ride was mostly fairly laid back, with just a couple of fast sections. I got caught sleeping on one of them and had to bridge at ~26 MPH for about a mile to close the gap. I guess that's not taking it easy. Well, the rest of the ride was lower key than that.
Old 07-28-11, 08:23 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I'm working toward getting in good enough physical condition to do a club century in September. On the one hand, it is relatively straight forward to gradually ramp up the mileage. So today I rode 71 miles, cut short from 75 miles because the legs were beginning to give out and the last few miles has a fairly steep hill that would have killed me. But little in life is that straight forward. I've been having a problem in the last month with chafing in a ... umm, ...problematic area. Fortunately, I've been carrying about a tablespoon full of chamois lube in a tiny zip lock bag in the first aid kit. I was able to stop and re-lube, half a dozen times, as necessary.

This problem highlights one problem of longer rides and that is, if you do have some sort of problem, you are a long ways from your beginning point. If there is a lesson here, particularly a lesson for people in the 50+ who may be new to cycling, it is to ramp up the effort carefully and deliberately.

With warnings out of the way, I rode 71 miles with 25 miles of new terrain, on a gorgeous day along Buzzards Bay in Massachussets. I got up at 5 AM and was riding at 6:30 in delicious cool temps. One of the pleasures of riding in this area is that there is water everywhere with superb views and surprisingly little traffic. I have said elsewhere on this forum that drivers and dogs are bike friendly. Today began cool for the season and never got too hot. In any case, many roads are shaded under a forest canopy so that it is almost always well bearable. I'm aiming to ride a club century in September but if I'm not up to it, there is a 75 mile option which as far as I'm concerned, that is quite amazing compared to where I was at this time last year.
If you can do 75 and feel reasonably OK then the TFCE will be no problem. Especially if you are riding with friends.

Tighter shorts usually stop chafing. My waist is too big sometimes to get tight enough shorts to fit in the chafing area properly.
Old 07-28-11, 10:33 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
This whole week has been the pits with rain every day in the afternoon. No riding since Sunday. Since I work from home today, I decided to get the riding out of the way before starting to work since there were no clouds in the sky and the temps were low. Got in a good 20 miles in 1:08:19 after finding some friends that were group riding and joined in with the group. So far the sky is still blue and the sun is out. I'll go back after work for another 20 if it stays this way or may just do a 10 mile ride with the wife after dinner.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-28-11, 04:32 PM
rickstermax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to do 8 miles today in a 50 min ride. It's hot and humid here in the Detroit area and that 8 miles was about all I could do.
Old 07-28-11, 05:39 PM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Could not get out until 2pm, wind was kicking up real nice, about a 8 to 15 mph crossing head wind with higher gusts. 31 miles, first 15 grinding it out in the big ring, blasting home with a nice tail wind the last 16. Sunny, no clouds, wind from the west. Just a nice day to ride.
Old 07-28-11, 05:47 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Beautiful sunny day, 79 degrees and dry. I rode west of town for 61 miles with almost 2500 ft of climbs.
Old 07-28-11, 05:47 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Couldn't ride again today due to storms. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-28-11, 06:07 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
19 miles in the heat and humidity with the threat of rain looking over my shoulder. Saw a red fox very close, although I think I startled him more than he did me.
Old 07-28-11, 06:44 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
8 miles with the first 4 into a 15 mph gusting wind. Man it's hot and humid out
Old 07-28-11, 09:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Slacking this week. After a weekend total of 89 miles in nasty-hot weather, I rode not at all Monday and then rode 10 miles last night and then again tonight. Both nights going out around 830pm. Inhaled a gnat yesterday evening.
Old 07-28-11, 09:57 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I rode my mountain bike with a few club members. It was a fairly low effort ride as we had a couple of new riders along learning the ropes. I made the mistake of crossing a 10" log too slowly. I got over it, but came down leaning over and fell on my left side going dead slow. The bike fell on my lower leg and my hip and wrist hit the ground pretty hard. Only a tiny bit of blood and nothing broken, but I have a feeling I'll be stiff and sore tomorrow.
Old 07-28-11, 10:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It was in the low 90s when I got home from my 33 mile loop today. Kinda damp when I got home, but a cool drink a short set in front of a fan and a shower, and Im good to go.
Old 07-28-11, 11:24 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
53 miles including 44 on a club ride with the more aggressive faction of the club - you know, the ones who sprint for town line signs. It's a very very enjoyable mix of sprinting and hammering interspersed with lower key sections where there are lots of turns or passing through towns in the western suburbs. There was a really fun section of rollers about 1/3 of the way in to the ride - I liked both the descents and the climbs on those. It wasn't that long ago that riding with these guys stressed me out b/c I was in danger of getting dropped (and at times, did get dropped), but it's not an issue at present. Still, I can't pull or sprint like some of them. Probably won't ever be able to. Loved the ride anyway. Can't believe that it's almost August, though- my summer is slipping away...
Old 07-29-11, 05:35 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't know about today yet, I did ride Yesterday though, nice ride, but a little short, only 15km, but I wanted to get out there, didn't ride anywhere near enough this month. I left the house and went along the street, East to the county line and on to the next settlement (it's too small to call even a hamlet). At the settlement I turned right and continued on to the fork in the road, I took the gravel side of the fork, and went down to the bridge, this is a good place to stop and contemplate, there is a creek that runs under the bridge, although really it's swamp on both sides, and the swampy conditions continue to the next road. In the spring the swamp level rises and floods the road, as the swamp at the dry time of the year is only about 15cm below the road. This time of year though, the road is hard and packed down, as hard as a paved road, although lane discipline does not exist and unless there is another vehicle coming, you pretty much go down the middle. The open water areas are covered in lily pads, and although you can't see them, you can hear the frogs and insects. Saw the remains of a raccoon that managed to be unlucky enough to cross when there was traffic. A huge turkey vulture was deciding if it would dine at that unfortunate critter. Turkey vultures are massive as birds and have huge wing spans, and this is the closest I have ever gotten to one, they are ugly to look at, but beautiful flyers. South of there the bush closes in, you have the hard road, then about 20cm of loose gravel, then a wall of green, so dense that you can't see to the other side, heard something that sounded like a dog, kept going. There is an essence there, a combination of decaying swamp, fresh hay and rotting cow manure, from the farm fields on the other side of the swamp. Up to this point strangely enough your climbing most of the way, the next road is the highest point, turned West, and headed towards home, just before my village you have a sharp drop, and it's a pretty good road with little traffic, I hit 50km/h before reaching the bottom. Then headed home total distance 15.203km, total time 0:45:11, pretty much what I would expect.
Old 07-29-11, 07:28 AM
GoGranny

Bikes: Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
I left the house and went along the street, East to the county line and on to the next settlement (it's too small to call even a hamlet). At the settlement I turned right and continued on to the fork in the road, I took the gravel side of the fork, and went down to the bridge, this is a good place to stop and contemplate, there is a creek that runs under the bridge, although really it's swamp on both sides, and the swampy conditions continue to the next road. In the spring the swamp level rises and floods the road, as the swamp at the dry time of the year is only about 15cm below the road. This time of year though, the road is hard and packed down, as hard as a paved road, although lane discipline does not exist and unless there is another vehicle coming, you pretty much go down the middle. The open water areas are covered in lily pads, and although you can't see them, you can hear the frogs and insects. Saw the remains of a raccoon that managed to be unlucky enough to cross when there was traffic. A huge turkey vulture was deciding if it would dine at that unfortunate critter. Turkey vultures are massive as birds and have huge wing spans, and this is the closest I have ever gotten to one, they are ugly to look at, but beautiful flyers. South of there the bush closes in, you have the hard road, then about 20cm of loose gravel, then a wall of green, so dense that you can't see to the other side, heard something that sounded like a dog, kept going. There is an essence there, a combination of decaying swamp, fresh hay and rotting cow manure, from the farm fields on the other side of the swamp. Up to this point strangely enough your climbing most of the way, the next road is the highest point, turned West, and headed towards home, just before my village you have a sharp drop, and it's a pretty good road with little traffic, I hit 50km/h before reaching the bottom.
Wogster, I really enjoyed this description of your ride. I felt like I was bouncing along beside you on the gravel, watching for speeding farm trucks, admiring the lily pads and the vulture, appreciating the swamp and farm smells as they overcame the essence of dead raccoon, and loving that downhill rush at the end. Best of all, I'm now inspired to get off the computer and on my bike for a morning ride.
Old 07-29-11, 11:27 AM
rgp332

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Trek 7300 converted to Road hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two of us did 14 miles last nite,Real temp was 98 when we started about 6:30 . Really not too bad as long as you kept moving.
Old 07-29-11, 12:29 PM
YokeyDokey
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shreck
Happens to me; electrolytes or whatever is in Gatorade and pickle juice fixes it fast. I qualify this because I've said it before and been upbraided by "medical professionals" on this site for not knowing what I'm talking about. So I'll attach a caveat to my advice: I know what works for me.
Old 07-29-11, 12:35 PM
YokeyDokey
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Don't know about today yet, I did ride Yesterday though, nice ride, but a little short, only 15km, but I wanted to get out there, didn't ride anywhere near enough this month. I left the house and went along the street, East to the county line and on to the next settlement (it's too small to call even a hamlet). At the settlement I turned right and continued on to the fork in the road, I took the gravel side of the fork, and went down to the bridge, this is a good place to stop and contemplate, there is a creek that runs under the bridge, although really it's swamp on both sides, and the swampy conditions continue to the next road. In the spring the swamp level rises and floods the road, as the swamp at the dry time of the year is only about 15cm below the road. This time of year though, the road is hard and packed down, as hard as a paved road, although lane discipline does not exist and unless there is another vehicle coming, you pretty much go down the middle. The open water areas are covered in lily pads, and although you can't see them, you can hear the frogs and insects. Saw the remains of a raccoon that managed to be unlucky enough to cross when there was traffic. A huge turkey vulture was deciding if it would dine at that unfortunate critter. Turkey vultures are massive as birds and have huge wing spans, and this is the closest I have ever gotten to one, they are ugly to look at, but beautiful flyers. South of there the bush closes in, you have the hard road, then about 20cm of loose gravel, then a wall of green, so dense that you can't see to the other side, heard something that sounded like a dog, kept going. There is an essence there, a combination of decaying swamp, fresh hay and rotting cow manure, from the farm fields on the other side of the swamp. Up to this point strangely enough your climbing most of the way, the next road is the highest point, turned West, and headed towards home, just before my village you have a sharp drop, and it's a pretty good road with little traffic, I hit 50km/h before reaching the bottom. Then headed home total distance 15.203km, total time 0:45:11, pretty much what I would expect.
HAHAHA This is great! Wogster, I'd say you were William Faulkner in a past life except that you actually use punctuation. Are you a forensic investigator in your spare time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.