Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Around the World We Go

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Around the World We Go

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 10:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Around the World We Go

We are about to leave the second country on our Round the World journey. We have spent a few days in Hong Kong exploring the city, and then several days in Taiwan, mainly around the Hualien area. Tomorrow, we're on to Japan.

I've started a journal on my website here:

https://www.machka.net/RTW_2012/RTW_2012.htm

And I am posting photos on my Flickr site here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/sets/

I have started loading photos into the Asia set because that's where we are right now.

Around the Hualien area (east coast of Taiwan) we opted to do a hub-and-spoke tour and explored enough to be thinking about coming back here to explore more. But that's part of the point of this tour. We're looking at it as a kind of "sample platter" ... a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and if we really like something we'll plan to return and see more.

Last edited by Machka; 10-31-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 11:03 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Wow congratulations Machka! Have a wonderful and save trip! I am SOOOOOO jealous. Look me up if you happen to come through Pittsburgh. Remember we have that wonderful Great Allegheny Trail to get you over the Alleghenies.
Old 06-29-12, 06:56 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun guys, and be safe

z
Old 07-04-12, 12:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We're in Japan ... Hokkaido, the north island.

And I've updated my webpage: https://www.machka.net/2012/RTW_2012/RTW_2012.htm

I'm trying to update my Flickr photos, but Flickr isn't playing nicely right now, so that may have to wait till later.
Old 07-04-12, 06:28 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Japan has some lovely bicycle paths (MUPs). I don't normally like MUPs, but these are great ... they are wide, completely paved/sealed, and run pretty much parallel to the road. They also go useful places (unlike some MUPs I've encountered).

We've barely been on the road since we got here, we've just been using these paths.

And if you fly into the Chitose airport, these paths start right from there.
Old 07-04-12, 07:50 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
What bikes did you bring? Beater bikes? Good bikes?

That looks like the trip of a lifetime! Have fun.
Old 07-08-12, 06:16 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The new Thorn Club Tours. They have been doing all that has been expected of them, so far, although that isn't particularly much.

We've both been down with colds, and we were the subject of an attack by mosquitos that left our lower legs -- and mine in particular -- very sore and painful over the past couple of days.
Old 07-08-12, 07:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

But despite the colds and insect bites, we have been enjoying our travels. From heat and humidity in Hong Kong and Taiwan to the cool of Hokkaido, Japan.

So far, we've cycled about 350 km. Just over 100 km in Taiwan, and about 250 km so far in Japan.

More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-...7630063348587/

More text updates here: https://www.machka.net/2012/RTW_2012/RTW_2012.htm
Old 07-08-12, 11:22 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
excellent keep safe and enjoy.
Old 07-08-12, 10:01 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Rowan
The new Thorn Club Tours. They have been doing all that has been expected of them, so far, although that isn't particularly much.

We've both been down with colds, and we were the subject of an attack by mosquitos that left our lower legs -- and mine in particular -- very sore and painful over the past couple of days.
If you use bug repellent, keep it away from plastic. I sprayed some on my arm with my helmet hanging on the handle bars. It almost instantly melted the foam and permanently stained the hard cover on top. Keep it away from the tents too.
Old 07-08-12, 10:22 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yes, I've seen this happen with lycra bike shorts as well. We use a roll-on version at the moment, which I think I prefer to sprays, especially around the neck, head and face.

We're usually pretty good with the bug spray and sunscreen, but we arrived at our first campsite on Hokkaido after dusk, set up camp, and had something to eat in the shelter. The campsite was right next to a crater lake (the second deepest in Japan).

We arrived in the mid-afternoon at the second campsite, but stood and laid around on the perfectly manicured grass for several hours, then had dinner. I suspect the majority of the attacks occurred then -- there is a small, still lake about 150 metres from our campsite. I counted 31 bites on my right shin and ankle alone. Ouch!!

Needless to say, we are a little more careful about our bug repellant regimen, plus covering up -- fortunately or not, the weather hasn't been particularly warm.
Old 07-08-12, 10:31 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Rowan
Yes, I've seen this happen with lycra bike shorts as well. We use a roll-on version at the moment, which I think I prefer to sprays, especially around the neck, head and face.

We're usually pretty good with the bug spray and sunscreen, but we arrived at our first campsite on Hokkaido after dusk, set up camp, and had something to eat in the shelter. The campsite was right next to a crater lake (the second deepest in Japan).

We arrived in the mid-afternoon at the second campsite, but stood and laid around on the perfectly manicured grass for several hours, then had dinner. I suspect the majority of the attacks occurred then -- there is a small, still lake about 150 metres from our campsite. I counted 31 bites on my right shin and ankle alone. Ouch!!

Needless to say, we are a little more careful about our bug repellant regimen, plus covering up -- fortunately or not, the weather hasn't been particularly warm.
Wow 31 bites on one limb!
Old 07-08-12, 10:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Wow 31 bites on one limb!
Not even a whole limb ... just from the knee down. I had about half as many bites on my legs between knee and foot. I'm not sure why the insects didn't like me quite as much.
Old 07-08-12, 11:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

A small sample of photos from the trip so far ... you can see the rest on the link I posted earlier ...

Hong Kong from above. We recommend doing the Peak Tram trip to the top of the mountain to see the view. The tram is also something to be experienced, especially as it plunges backward back down the mountain.

Hong Kong from the water. We did the Star Ferry harbour cruise, and if you take one of the late ferries, you'll be treated to a music and lights show put on by many of the sky scrapers in Hong Kong

The foreshore MUP along the ocean in Hualien, Taiwan ... complete with unicycle. The bicycle lanes (and scooters too) really surprised me.

The beautiful highway south of Hualien, Taiwan. They should have highways this nice in Australia!

The chaos of city traffic in Hualien, Taiwan. Rowan loved cycling in it all, and I have to admit that there was a kind of energy, but my heart was in my mouth most of the time!

Old 07-10-12, 04:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We fly to London tomorrow, where we begin the Europe portion of the trip. We've got no plans other than flying into London and out of Paris.
Old 07-10-12, 07:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

A bicycle-only road down to the campsite and Rider House at Lake Shikotsu, Hokkaido, Japan ... one of many on my Flickr set of travel photos.

Old 07-11-12, 02:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

We made it to London. That was a long, long trip. We were up and ready to leave Japan at 6 am Japan time, and it's now 5 am Japan time (or about 9 pm London time). Our first flight was only about 1.5 hours from Hokkaido to Tokyo. Then there was a layover, and the second flight was about 12 hours. And then there was the train and building the bicycles and getting to our hostel. But we're in London now and will be for a couple nights at least while we overcome jet lag and decide what to do next.

We will be in Europe for just under 3 months, so we can go wherever we want to go in that time. We're not tied to any people, places, or schedules.
Old 07-13-12, 04:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

In Scotland now.

These photos are from our 3 weeks travelling through Asia. We've been to 5 countries in the past 24 days!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-...7630063348587/

During the Asia portion of our trip, we cycled approx. 383 km.
Old 07-16-12, 02:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've updated my website now so that I've got the Asia Story here:
https://www.machka.net/2012/RTW_2012/RTW_2012.htm

And the beginning of the Europe Story here:
https://www.machka.net/2012/RTW_2012/RTW_Europe_2012.htm

There are links between the two.

I'm still a bit behind with the photos, but I'm almost finished the Asia ones.

Getting groceries in Tomakomai, Japan

The path narrows ... a path around a little lake next to one of our campgrounds

A map of the area where we cycled

On the very nice bicycle path between Lake Shikotsu and Tomakomai, with our loaded touring bicycles

https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-...7630063348587/
Old 07-19-12, 02:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

We've been on the road 30 days, and have cycled 16 of those days ... it's still a "mostly cycling" tour. So far, we've cycled just over 500 km in Taiwan, Japan, and Scotland.

We had a really nice 62 km ride today along Loch Lomond, and hopefully we'll be able to get out for a ride somewhere tomorrow too.
Old 07-19-12, 07:30 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Machka
We've been on the road 30 days, and have cycled 16 of those days ... it's still a "mostly cycling" tour. So far, we've cycled just over 500 km in Taiwan, Japan, and Scotland.

We had a really nice 62 km ride today along Loch Lomond, and hopefully we'll be able to get out for a ride somewhere tomorrow too.
What are you using for shipping boxes for the bikes?
Have you been using the bike alarm?

Nice photos.
Old 07-19-12, 08:54 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to be lazy, but can you rate Japan as a touring destination in terms of receptivity to cyclists, their attitude to people camping, cost for visiting there on a cyclist paradigm. Thanks.
Old 07-20-12, 03:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We visited Hokkaido, which is the north island. Apparently it is quite different from the rest of Japan ... nicer. We would like to return there to see more. Have a look at the Japan section of my journal.

The bit we visited was very receptive to cyclists ... beautiful cycle paths (and some that weren't as lovely) all over the place. Some quite country roads. And quite a few people on bicycles. Generally, the people ride step-through bicycles for utility purposes.

There are campgrounds ... we stayed in a somewhat more rustic one on a lake for a couple nights and spent 3 nights in an Auto Resort campground. The Auto Resort campgrounds are really nice. Very clean and well-kept. There are also Rider Houses, hostels, and hotels.

I took photos of the campgrounds, hostel, paths, and other things, and posted them on Flickr.

The cost was about what we would have paid for things in Australia, and the Yen was such that if something cost 1000 Yen that was approx. the equivalent to $10 Australian. So a campground might cost 2400 Yen or $24/night. A hotel might run 11000 Yen or $110/night. Food in the supermarkets was also about the same as we might pay in Australia.

One note about the train, apparently you can only take your bicycle on the train on Hokkaido if it is boxed. Unlike the UK and other parts of Europe, you can't just roll your bicycle onto the train. We considered using the train, but boxing the bicycles would have been a pain.

And speaking of boxing the bicycles, we bought Qantas boxes in Melbourne when we started, and used them till we arrived in London. We were able to store them at hotels at the start and finish of our time in Hong Kong (we just left the bicycles in the boxes there), Taiwan, and Japan. But once we arrived in London, we had to let the boxes go. It was rather sad because those boxes served us well, and were still in decent shape. But we're flying out of Paris, so we couldn't haul boxes around with us for 3 months.

We haven't used the alarm yet, and actually need to look up the instructions for it again.
Old 07-20-12, 07:01 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Machka
We visited Hokkaido, which is the north island. Apparently it is quite different from the rest of Japan ... nicer. We would like to return there to see more. Have a look at the Japan section of my journal.

The bit we visited was very receptive to cyclists ... beautiful cycle paths (and some that weren't as lovely) all over the place. Some quite country roads. And quite a few people on bicycles. Generally, the people ride step-through bicycles for utility purposes.

There are campgrounds ... we stayed in a somewhat more rustic one on a lake for a couple nights and spent 3 nights in an Auto Resort campground. The Auto Resort campgrounds are really nice. Very clean and well-kept. There are also Rider Houses, hostels, and hotels.

I took photos of the campgrounds, hostel, paths, and other things, and posted them on Flickr.

The cost was about what we would have paid for things in Australia, and the Yen was such that if something cost 1000 Yen that was approx. the equivalent to $10 Australian. So a campground might cost 2400 Yen or $24/night. A hotel might run 11000 Yen or $110/night. Food in the supermarkets was also about the same as we might pay in Australia.

One note about the train, apparently you can only take your bicycle on the train on Hokkaido if it is boxed. Unlike the UK and other parts of Europe, you can't just roll your bicycle onto the train. We considered using the train, but boxing the bicycles would have been a pain.

And speaking of boxing the bicycles, we bought Qantas boxes in Melbourne when we started, and used them till we arrived in London. We were able to store them at hotels at the start and finish of our time in Hong Kong (we just left the bicycles in the boxes there), Taiwan, and Japan. But once we arrived in London, we had to let the boxes go. It was rather sad because those boxes served us well, and were still in decent shape. But we're flying out of Paris, so we couldn't haul boxes around with us for 3 months.

We haven't used the alarm yet, and actually need to look up the instructions for it again.
So do you buy new boxes in Paris to get the bikes on the plane?
Old 07-24-12, 03:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
So do you buy new boxes in Paris to get the bikes on the plane?
Apparently, the airline we're flying with will either supply us with boxes ... either give us the boxes or we'll be able to buy them. That was according to their website. So hopefully that's right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.