Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Grip fatigue on tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Grip fatigue on tour?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 09:34 AM
flippant

Bikes: Tout Terrain Rohloff/Gates Metropolitan; Felt Footprint; Bianchi JAB 29.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grip fatigue on tour?

Hey all,

I'm currently doing a tour of the west coast (Portland - San Diego), and am currently 1,200mi into it. I've had knee issues (iliotobial band friction syndrome) that I am now thankfully over, after having bought a foam roller.

One remaining niggle, though, is my grip strength.

After about three days on tour, I noticed I had little tremors and twitches in my fingers. That was due to me putting pressure on the central base of the hand when riding, so I stopped that and the tremors and twitches went away quickly.

However, I've got some pretty massive grip fatigue. It's not affecting my riding in any way, but my thumb/index finger pinching grip is very weak. I can't eat with chopsticks, hold a wine glass by the stem in the normal way or any action that requires pinching (writing is ok, however).

There's no pain, tingling, numbness or anything of that sort going on.

I ride with padded gloves most of the time, but take them off just for variation at other times.

I had my bike professionally fitted, and while they wanted to lower the stem a little bit (the saddle is more or less level with the top handlebars), everything else should be ok.

This is my bike:

Any ideas?
Old 08-20-12, 10:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You might try raising your handlebars a bit. And focus on dropping your shoulders and bending your elbows while you ride. Relax your upper body.

One stretch I do to regain feeling in my fingers if they go numb on a long ride is to sit bolt upright, then put one hand/arm behind my back in an "L" shape. Vertical part of the "L" is my upper arm beside my body, horizontal part of the "L" is my forearm resting across my back at about waist level. Within seconds, the feeling returns to my hand. Then I repeat with the other arm. That might help your situation a bit too.
Old 08-20-12, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe you need to trust the steering you get from the saddle, more

and lighten the grip you may have in the handlebars,
from one that may be too much ..
It's not like holding onto a hammer (that you need to not fly out of your hand)

i fitted on a half grab-on set on the upper, curve,
but with aero levers and cable there I have used a set and a half of
padded tape , and used split in half of 1 on the tops ,
and then a whole piece of padded tape wrapped over the partial section.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-20-12 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 12:48 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lower the bar, the more pressure on the hands. When I rode an upright, the bars, at saddle height, were wrapped in pipe insulation foam. Much more ergonomically correct than skinny bars. Also used aerobars for another comfortable riding position. Solved all the hand pressure problems. Wish I could have solved the saddle problems.
Old 08-20-12, 07:14 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Aerobars, like these:

https://www.profile-design.com/profil...airstryke.html

I nearly gave up touring in the early 1990s due to hand problems. I starting using Airstrykes in 1994. They saved my touring "career" by giving me a riding position that requires no gripping. On the road, I rely on them for up to 50% of a typical day.

Just don't use aerobars in traffic, or any time you might need quick access to your brake levers!!!
Old 08-20-12, 07:53 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
Aerobars, like these:

https://www.profile-design.com/profil...airstryke.html

I nearly gave up touring in the early 1990s due to hand problems. I starting using Airstrykes in 1994. They saved my touring "career" by giving me a riding position that requires no gripping. On the road, I rely on them for up to 50% of a typical day.

Just don't use aerobars in traffic, or any time you might need quick access to your brake levers!!!
Exactly. Same model I used. Same results.
Old 08-20-12, 07:55 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good advice here as well as some very good links

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-when-touring

z
Old 08-21-12, 09:38 PM
Thaddeus088

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try shifting your grip. I wouldnt get the twitches, but the musculature in my hands began to change ever so slightly the couple months after buying wheels (no car only pedals).

I've been a pianist most of my life so i have an intimate relationship with my hands. I started to drop my shoulders as mentioned in an above post. This helped a lot with my torso & breathe patterns. Then I began to grab side grips on the outsides of my bars, underhand grips, & grips in between certain fingers. I also stretch out my pinky fingers to just above my break levers while my thumb is pointing towards the stem. These little tricks have helped my hand fatigue greatly. p.s. I dont use any gloves unless its cold.

Last edited by Thaddeus088; 08-21-12 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clarification derp