Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Give me the facts, just the facts...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Give me the facts, just the facts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 11:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
When you finish your piece with a statement like this, I don't see why everyone is busting my chops for saying the same thing. The same statement applies to an aluminum frame. It's going to destroy the frame but it will be enough to get you back on the road until you can get a more permanent solution.
No one is "busting your chops" for saying this!

It's your position that repairing AL (a temporary repair) in the middle of nowhere is as likely as repairing steel that people are not quite convinced of.

I'm not talking about a repair that will last for 20 years.
No one is (except for the odd pacificcycle dude).

Follow the link I provided above to see how well a repair in the middle of nowhere worked. I warned the guy about the thinness of the steel before he had it repaired and the guy who repaired it still burned a hole in the frame.
That story doesn't actually refute the "repair in the middle of nowhere" contention. It supports it.

The sole point is to get home.

Being able to easily fix a steel frame in Podukaville is as much of a myth as the myth that aluminum shatters into a million pieces when it breaks.
Who is claiming that it is easy?

All that anybody is claiming is that it is appreciably more likely to be able to repair a steel frame to a usable state. (Keeping in mind that there's a good chance that a broken frame will be beyond repair.)

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Follow the link I provided above to see how well a repair in the middle of nowhere worked. I warned the guy about the thinness of the steel before he had it repaired and the guy who repaired it still burned a hole in the frame.
That guy did get an extremely sketchy repair... and finished his trip on the bike he started with. So I don't know what point that supports. I guess what we need are examples of people who have had aluminum frames mended en route and successfully finished their trips.
This is all that one can reasonably expect.

And it's not like he would have been better-off not getting the repair.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-13-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 11:41 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
If I may ask a question,
what are the chances of using something like those Alumiweld or Muggy weld alloy rods and a propane torch in order to temporarily repair an aluminum frame, since most everyone has a propane torch available and you could easily carry a couple of those repair rods with you? They sure make it look easy in their videos but I don't have a clue how strong the bond would be and if the allow itself would hold up to the stress.

https://www.alumiweld.com/
Old 09-13-12, 12:06 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
No I haven't tried it, but it looks like it is more like brazing or soldering than welding. Not sure if it is any better than something like J-B Weld which is actually an epoxy. I wouldn't use either on a permanent frame repair at home bit might try them as a emergency repair.
Old 09-13-12, 12:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
That guy did get an extremely sketchy repair... and finished his trip on the bike he started with. So I don't know what point that supports. I guess what we need are examples of people who have had aluminum frames mended en route and successfully finished their trips.
Yes he finished trip after having it welded twice and breaking those welds and burning a hole in the frame and having to ride a very squirrelly bike. He's damned lucky the thing didn't crumble under him. I wouldn't exactly call his repair 'successful' nor permanent. The bike was junked afterwards.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-13-12, 12:31 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Yes he finished trip after having it welded twice and breaking those welds and burning a hole in the frame and having to ride a very squirrelly bike. He's damned lucky the thing didn't crumble under him. I wouldn't exactly call his repair 'successful' nor permanent. The bike was junked afterwards.
Some things that have come out of this thread:

1. If you break your frame, any frame, it is very likely cheaper and easier to replace it then fix it.

2. If you're not in a position to replace your frame, you have nothing to lose by attempting to fix your frame.

3. The goal is to finish your trip. The reason for any attempted repair or for choosing a bike based on "repairability" is to increase the odds that you finish your trip.

By that standard, that poor, abused steel bike is the poster child for this thread. It was possibly the worst imaginable successful repair. Seems that bike went another 400 miles or so after the frame was technically ruined. If I was a week away from finishing a tour in a foreign country, I doubt I would pay to ship in a new frame and build up a new bike just to keep going. I might try to get a local bike and push on, but even that would likely involve leaving a lot of still-useful, still valuable bike parts and components behind. Seems like the best possible solution is to somehow get your bike moving enough to get to the end.
Old 09-13-12, 12:41 PM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The OP wanted facts and only facts on frame repair and I have to say I haven’t had the opportunity to try this on a frame but have repaired quite a few other things with this method and it is what I would try given the on tour without much in the way of tools etc. to attempt an repair that would be strong and safe and able to be reversed when I return to make a correct repair.

I have had good luck with fiberglass tapes and cloth and mat and resin. You can buy the stuff at most auto parts stores or even wal marts and the built up layers wrapped around a crack or break in a tube would make a strong cast. You would have to build up a thick layer and go maybe 2 inches each side the problem. All you need for tools would be a plastic cup to mix in some sticks to stir and a cheap paintbrush maybe and use your pocket knife to cut the tape. If you wanted to reinforce the repair you can glass in any kind of wire etc.

I have some scrap bikes around and to bring this to fact and only fact status I might try it out over the weekend. What is a likely spot to saw apart to try and repair? Down tube? Do most cracks start at a joint or from a dent in the middle of a tube?

We have used the alumiweld in the shop and it’s not a bad product. Even did the weld a soda can to a piece of thick aluminum thing and it worked.
Old 09-13-12, 12:50 PM
njkayaker

Some things that have come out of this thread:

1. If you break your frame, any frame, it is very likely cheaper and easier to replace it then fix it.

2. If you're not in a position to replace your frame, you have nothing to lose by attempting to fix your frame.

3. The goal is to finish your trip. The reason for any attempted repair or for choosing a bike based on "repairability" is to increase the odds that you finish your trip.

By that standard, that poor, abused steel bike is the poster child for this thread. It was possibly the worst imaginable successful repair. Seems that bike went another 400 miles or so after the frame was technically ruined. If I was a week away from finishing a tour in a foreign country, I doubt I would pay to ship in a new frame and build up a new bike just to keep going. I might try to get a local bike and push on, but even that would likely involve leaving a lot of still-useful, still valuable bike parts and components behind. Seems like the best possible solution is to somehow get your bike moving enough to get to the end.
1+

I'm amazed that this is so hard for some people to understand.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-13-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 12:53 PM
njkayaker

His frame problem was also fairly extreme.

Anyway, unless you are taking the position (like pacificcyclist) that one should never attempt to repair a frame, it's not clear how this story helps you.

He would not have been better-off with an AL frame (and it's the contention of some people here that he would have been worse off).

The issue is whether steel gives you more options/probablity to recover from a frame problem (not that it will allow all frame problems to be fixed).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-13-12 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 12:55 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I've used the granola bar wrapper tire boot, and yes, it works. I don't have any input on the frame question, however.

Granola wrapper tire boot by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
Old 09-13-12, 01:51 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bud16415
The OP wanted facts and only facts on frame repair and I have to say I haven’t had the opportunity to try this on a frame but have repaired quite a few other things with this method and it is what I would try given the on tour without much in the way of tools etc. to attempt an repair that would be strong and safe and able to be reversed when I return to make a correct repair.

I have had good luck with fiberglass tapes and cloth and mat and resin. You can buy the stuff at most auto parts stores or even wal marts and the built up layers wrapped around a crack or break in a tube would make a strong cast. You would have to build up a thick layer and go maybe 2 inches each side the problem. All you need for tools would be a plastic cup to mix in some sticks to stir and a cheap paintbrush maybe and use your pocket knife to cut the tape. If you wanted to reinforce the repair you can glass in any kind of wire etc.

I have some scrap bikes around and to bring this to fact and only fact status I might try it out over the weekend. What is a likely spot to saw apart to try and repair? Down tube? Do most cracks start at a joint or from a dent in the middle of a tube?

We have used the alumiweld in the shop and it’s not a bad product. Even did the weld a soda can to a piece of thick aluminum thing and it worked.
Drive-side chainstay.

The issue probably will that you might need to insert a dowel (as in a whittled down limb from a tree) or something into the tubing or at least lay it along the outside like a splint. Otherwise, the stress and strain that caused the "breakage" in the first place will likely work the glass and matt the same way.

A really difficult one might be the derailleur hanger. Likely to be ripped off or at least bent on an alloy bike when the RD goes into the spokes. Could be interesting trying to get that all back together, too!

Have fun. Working with fibreglass like that.

Last edited by Rowan; 09-13-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 01:51 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I've used the granola bar wrapper tire boot, and yes, it works. I don't have any input on the frame question, however.

Granola wrapper tire boot by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
GU packets work too. So does Tyvek. As well as the Park tire-boots.

What you want for a tire boot is something that is flexible but doesn't stretch and is reasonably strong.

The main idea for a tire boot is to keep the inner tube from ballooning out of the tire casing.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-13-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 02:29 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by njkayaker
No one is "busting your chops" for saying this!

It's your position that repairing AL (a temporary repair) in the middle of nowhere is as likely as repairing steel that people are not quite convinced of.
There have been lots of posts along the lines of 'aluminum can't be repaired in the field', 'aluminum is impossible to repair in the field', 'steel is easy to repair in the field', etc. I just saying that equipment for aluminum repair is far more readily available given the proliferation of aluminum parts in the auto industry in the last 20 years than it was a couple of decades ago. If you can repair an aluminum car part in the middle of nowhere, you can repair an aluminum bike about as easily as you can as steel one...which isn't all that easy.

No one is (except for the odd pacificcycle dude).
What do you think the whole "it needs to be heat treated" line is about? A temporary repair such as the kind that BF123 had in China to an aluminum bike wouldn't need to be heat treated.

That story doesn't actually refute the "repair in the middle of nowhere" contention. It supports it. The sole point is to get home.
And, again, what about aluminum makes it so that you can't do the same thing with it? The sole point is to get home. Needing to heat treat an aluminum repair isn't necessary.

I suggested at the time that he consider alternative transportation and if I were in the same situation I would have taken the train to the end. There are things you can break on tour that will end the tour. A frame that is pretzelled like his is one of them.

Who is claiming that it is easy?
Um...everyone. There is this constant refrain that steel can be repaired anywhere by anyone. All you need is some heat and you are ready to roll. That's not true. And BF123's story demonstrates that quite nicely. He had to have several repairs made to finish the last 500 miles of his trip. He rode a bike which, personally, I would consider very dangerous to ride. His welds didn't hold for longer than a little while.

I've had a steel frame repaired and I've had an aluminum one repaired. The aluminum one was easy to repair. The steel one required far more skill.

This is all that one can reasonably expect.

And it's not like he would have been better-off not getting the repair.

Yes, his trip ended without the bike falling apart but given the amount of damage and the number of fixes, his trip could have easily ended such that he wouldn't have been better off getting the repair.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-13-12, 02:35 PM
cyccommute 

The issue is whether steel gives you more options/probablity to recover from a frame problem (not that it will allow all frame problems to be fixed).
Again, for about the 10 time, what about aluminum makes you think it is impossible to repair temporarily? It's used in lots of places in lots of parts of the world. A thin steel frame that is outside the experience of many...if not most...amateur and many professional welders isn't any less impossible. Look at that last paragraph of Massive D's again.

Don't expect too much. There is no reason to believe that even a talented welder can hit the mark on his first try without doing some damage to the bike. Welding is a good way to get a bike fixed in the field where getting back on the road is the main consideration. It is likely to destroy the frame.
I think most people expect too much.

Old 09-13-12, 04:24 PM
njkayaker

What do you think the whole "it needs to be heat treated" line is about? A temporary repair such as the kind that BF123 had in China to an aluminum bike wouldn't need to be heat treated.
massived (it appears) has/had the position that heat treating was necessary for a temporary repair. That you disagree is OK. That you are assuming he is talking about a 1st world permanent repair ("not getting the point") isn't OK (that assumption is wrong).

Again, for about the 10 time, what about aluminum makes you think it is impossible to repair temporarily? It's used in lots of places in lots of parts of the world. A thin steel frame that is outside the experience of many...if not most...amateur and many professional welders isn't any less impossible. Look at that last paragraph of Massive D's again.
Your problem is that you are partial to straw men. No one said this.

Um...everyone. There is this constant refrain that steel can be repaired anywhere by anyone.
Strawman. No one has made this claim. No one.

I've had a steel frame repaired and I've had an aluminum one repaired. The aluminum one was easy to repair. The steel one required far more skill.
That doesn't mean this sort of result would be the more likely outcome in the middle of nowhere. And largely irrelevant unless both occurred in the middle of nowhere.

That's not true. And BF123's story demonstrates that quite nicely. He had to have several repairs made to finish the last 500 miles of his trip. He rode a bike which, personally, I would consider very dangerous to ride. His welds didn't hold for longer than a little while.
It could be an argument for trying to repair "severe" frame problems. It isn't clearly an argument against steel.

Yes, his trip ended without the bike falling apart but given the amount of damage and the number of fixes, his trip could have easily ended such that he wouldn't have been better off getting the repair.
It's not at all clear that he would have fared any better with AL. What you have to be able to answer is 1) whether there was AL repair available to him (whether it was likely), and 2) whether he would have fared better or the same with AL.
(I'm not convinced that there is a lot AL car part repairing going on in the middle of nowhere.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-13-12 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-14-12, 12:04 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently in Nomad's Guesthouse in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, lots of cyclists here, we had 20 bikes one night.

This morning a guy showed me where his brazeon for his rear rack had snapped off and he had it welded in a small village in Uzbekistan. This would not have worked with aluminium.

z
Old 09-16-12, 12:41 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Heat treatment is only needed to return the frame to out of the box specs. A temporary field repair isn't about making the bike like new.

I don't agree, we probably need Falanx or some other metal tech to sort this out. If you had a bad bang and ripped the downtube partially or fully from the HT, any welding, factory or field, significantly weakens the tubes. But it is within specs, so it should be fine. But if you don't heat treat a tube that needs, it you are way below specs. I'm just not riding that thing. That to me is a difference, you may still get enough bailing wire on the thing or duct tape to ride it out of there. I have said over and over in this thread that aluminum is roadside repairable, but it is more difficult to weld, and less that one will come across the gear, and the result will be crap.

When you finish your piece with a statement like this, I don't see why everyone is busting my chops for saying the same thing. The same statement applies to an aluminum frame. It's going to destroy the frame but it will be enough to get you back on the road until you can get a more permanent solution.
The thing is, a steel frame can theoretically be welded back to original strength or brazed. I think one should go into it with the idea, that the frame will need replacing. One should accept that the guy may blow a hole right through there before he gets the heat right. But I would not worry too much about it blowing up. Two different things.

It is easy to know how thick the frame parts are. For the most part the main tubes will be 35 thou, and away from the butts on butted tubes 25 thou. The HT is probably thicker, which is really all one needs to know, just favour it. The 35 is 21 gauge sheet metal, and the 25 is 24 gauge. Lot of folks weld sheet metal. And that is a common range for auto body, etc...
Old 09-16-12, 12:55 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Again, for about the 10 time, what about aluminum makes you think it is impossible to repair temporarily? It's used in lots of places in lots of parts of the world.
It isn't impossible, it meets the criterion in the myth that steel is more repairable. The idea that aluminum welding and welders are as common on the ground just isn't true. Most people regard aluminum welding as magic a higher form of the art, and the gear to do it is rare, apples to apples. Particularly true is that the chance of finding an aluminum welding custom frame builder is pretty near zero. I only know of a couple who do it at all. But that is just an aside obviously we aren't counting on finding a pro.

A thin steel frame that is outside the experience of many...if not most...amateur and many professional welders isn't any less impossible. Look at that last paragraph of Massive D's again.
That just ins't true, there are probably 100-1 steel welders or brazers out there compared to aluminum. As far as the last para is concerned, keep in mind that it is written for stick welding. Chance of a stick welding aluminum repair, unless you bring your own stuff, is pretty near zero.
Old 09-16-12, 01:01 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
If I may ask a question,
what are the chances of using something like those Alumiweld or Muggy weld alloy rods and a propane torch in order to temporarily repair an aluminum frame, since most everyone has a propane torch available and you could easily carry a couple of those repair rods with you? They sure make it look easy in their videos but I don't have a clue how strong the bond would be and if the allow itself would hold up to the stress.

https://www.alumiweld.com/

It is not a strong joint. Works quite well for non-load bearing, and things that need deposition to restore shape, like building up a prop surface. I would not repair a bike with it. That said, any time something sticks, is hardish, and you use enough of it, it has the potential to make a joint. That is basically how brazing works. You build up fat fillets. But this is way less effective than brass is to steel. You can repair, or build bikes using propane, and either brass or silver solder. People have made whole frames that way. So again, I think the idea of using propane tilts towards steel.