Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rolhoff considerations

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rolhoff considerations

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So start talking about your bike tour places since this hardware thread
has come against a brick wall
Old 10-28-12, 01:42 PM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
It is extremely rare to break a derailleur and in shipping next to impossible if you pack the bike right. It is also very rare to bend a derailleur if you pay attention while riding, especially when on the road.
The Swiss M93 deals with that. The frame has a derailleur guard. If this is based on experience, then they obviously feel the rear D is vulnerable, but there is the fix for anyone who feels the same.

I have no doubt a drivetrain will last longer on a Rolhoff, the question is how long until you come out ahead financially? It is not like 9 speed and below level components have to be expensive. If you are running a 10 speed bike that can certainly get costly though.
I don't think the cost is the right lens here. Fancy bike gear is expensive. It is either necessary, and Rohloff makes that case in certain boutique uses, or it is a mater of preference. In that case one can make up one's own mind, explain the reasons, but it isn't much of an argument that will sway others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4.jpg (94.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-28-12, 01:53 PM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
As far as someone having to meet their mother after traveling 500km blah, blah, blah. What they should have done is called Rohloff directly, not the bike shop, cut the "defective" hub out of the rear wheel and shipped it back as fast as possible. As soon as they had the "defective" hub, they'd ship a new one out anywhere globally. Then the person could have had a new wheel built on site. Just ditch the bike shop in the middle.
Basically any of those scenarios is a disaster in one of two senses. You are on a time budget, or still feel time pressure, or feel uncertainty pressure. This is pretty common for folks who have say a 2 week vacation. Waiting days for repair parts, dealing with corrupt customs, whatever, is just not on. On the other hand, if you are fully accustomed to the road and can have a whatever attitude about hanging out, and exploring, not worried about not having the bike, well great, but it is hardly thanks to the hub. The turn around being described here, is pretty much as troublesome and expensive as anything one would want to have happen. I could have a new bike shipped out also, or buy one locally, that could be a recommendation for Walmart bikes. I'm not surprised that at the factory end, it all looks rosy. For a fact they do break, and not just for the reasons suggested. Though the hit list of common problems is useful.

If I really thought the Rohloff could pack it in, I would carry enough parts to rebuild the rear wheel into a single speed, or an 8 speed. Particularly if that weight was shared with one or more other users.
Old 10-28-12, 03:17 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
Basically any of those scenarios is a disaster in one of two senses. You are on a time budget, or still feel time pressure, or feel uncertainty pressure. This is pretty common for folks who have say a 2 week vacation. Waiting days for repair parts, dealing with corrupt customs, whatever, is just not on. On the other hand, if you are fully accustomed to the road and can have a whatever attitude about hanging out, and exploring, not worried about not having the bike, well great, but it is hardly thanks to the hub. The turn around being described here, is pretty much as troublesome and expensive as anything one would want to have happen. I could have a new bike shipped out also, or buy one locally, that could be a recommendation for Walmart bikes. I'm not surprised that at the factory end, it all looks rosy. For a fact they do break, and not just for the reasons suggested. Though the hit list of common problems is useful.

If I really thought the Rohloff could pack it in, I would carry enough parts to rebuild the rear wheel into a single speed, or an 8 speed. Particularly if that weight was shared with one or more other users.
2 weeks is really short for a tour. I mean really short. It's even really short for a non-bicycle based vacation.

Also, I've never run into a border guard/customs person that can be reasoned with. In fact, when traveling through Russia/CIS ... I found that Vodka/Whisky was quite useful for getting locals to take me where I/we needed to go (cheaper than taxis.)

To be honest, I think a huge amount is user error (there is an approved list of frames, for example, that have been exhaustively tested.) I also like that professionals assemble it (people with 3-5 year apprenticeships making 40EUR/hour) that have a high quality of life (8 weeks/year holiday and 37h work weeks.) People complain about the price, but that's what happens when you make a world-leading product in terms of quality in a very first-world country.

Also, they really don't break, if used within specifications. For example, running a non-Rohloff chain tensioner or belt isn't within the tested specs. Nor are non-approved frames. Usually, they'll swap it free of charge for the life of the hub but simple preparation can save a lot of hassle. If you just want to throw it on any old frame, what do you expect?

Personally, I'd couple it to a Tout Terrain bike, as those specific combinations have been exhaustively tested (most likely due to their close proximity).

Last edited by acidfast7; 10-28-12 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 05:53 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
The Swiss M93 deals with that. The frame has a derailleur guard. If this is based on experience, then they obviously feel the rear D is vulnerable, but there is the fix for anyone who feels the same.

I had to have a little chuckle to myself about this. In the old days, low-level MTBs and hybrid-type bikes came with derailleur protector frames fitted.

Then today in Canadian Tyre, I noticed hanging up on the wall several sizes of the same derailleur protectors (yeah, I know, most self-respecting bicycle tourists wouldn't go into something like Canadian Tyre, but we were looking for a Schwinn floor pump... and we aren't most self-respecting bicycle tourists )

I've often thought of using the derailleur protectors on our touring bikes simply because they travel a lot in cardboard boxes. They certainly add a layer of protection, but maybe I am complacent because our bikes have come through their travels without damaged derailleurs.

They aren't quite as fancy as the one in your picture, but they do come in two difference lengths.
Old 10-28-12, 06:04 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
So start talking about your bike tour places since this hardware thread
has come against a brick wall
The topic turned to dirt wearing things excessively and Rolhoffs mostly being sold to mountain bikers so my comments were valid there. Most of the touring I have done has been weekenders on pavement. But I have been a year round commuter/rider in all sorts of weather for quite some time. I have had a 40 mile RT commute while living car free and also done quite a bit of hauling with my bike so it gets locked up in busy bike racks, beat up, dropped, and lots of miles so if something was likely to break all the time I am sure I would have found it.

2 weeks is really short for a tour. I mean really short. It's even really short for a non-bicycle based vacation.
I have never been on more than a week long vacation and me and my wife are planning just what you mentioned above, a 2 week long bike tour in Malaysia so being able to get replacement parts without sitting around for days is a serious concern for many.
Old 10-28-12, 07:49 PM
corvuscorvax
Gone.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
???

I can rarely get away for more than three weeks. Often that's spending a week or two at a conference or workshop, but even if I have the entire three weeks at liberty, with travel to/from that leaves about two weeks. What, should I not tour then? I have had very satisfying four-to-six day tours while traveling abroad for other purposes.

Just because you think "touring" means spending months on the road, doesn't mean everybody does.
Old 10-29-12, 12:07 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Canadian Tyre, you were nearly passing as a local there!
Old 10-29-12, 12:26 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That is the eurocentric perspective for you. I have been on vacation for 15 years now, but when I was working I reached a pretty high VP position in my industry, never had more than 6 weeks vacation, and often couldn't take that. I remember making director, and having been working about 5 years, when I was talking to one of my cousins who had got his first UK job, and was complaining he only got 7 weeks vacation a year. That was the legal minimu. I was getting 4 at the time. I think it would be a better world if people in the US, at least in the good times, took some reasonable time off, or in Canada.

To be honest, I think a huge amount is user error (there is an approved list of frames, for example, that have been exhaustively tested.) ...

Also, they really don't break, if used within specifications. For example, running a non-Rohloff chain tensioner or belt isn't within the tested specs. Nor are non-approved frames. Usually, they'll swap it free of charge for the life of the hub but simple preparation can save a lot of hassle. If you just want to throw it on any old frame, what do you expect?
I think it is a good product, not worried. I am glad to know they now make it in 36 hole. I really wanted that option when I bought mine. I can't get too excited though if the product has to be treated with kid gloves by pros to work, that is not practical in the real world. I also think that many of the limitations are pretty much bread and butter installations. They have been pretty slow to provide what people want. By the time they got the belt option out, I had given up caring.

But really, my point isn't to attack R. at all, or certainly your points, just that from my perspective the around the world supply line is too far. I am not comforted. I would use Rohloff precisely because I thought it would not break, I would not use it because repairs seems all that practical.

Rohloff is the only thing that offers the full functionality and reliability, but cost wise, NOS Nexus can be had for 100 bucks, and provides many of the user advantages that Fietsbob mentioned. Nexus, or Alfine is no R. but it has outperformed Shimano's modest claims for it.

Last edited by MassiveD; 10-29-12 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 02:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

sorry, in my haste to type that post, it came off somewhat crude.

Currently, I have several job offers in the US now for positions that I really want (professorships) but I'm really hung up on the lack of vacation time. I grew up and worked until 30 in the US, and now in Europe for 5 years. 2 weeks vacation was never a problem when I was in the US, but now that I'm used to 8-10 weeks/year (in Sweden I had 35 days/year paid holiday + 15 federal holidays) ... I'm not sure that I can go back to the 2-4 weeks/year only.

For example, if one flies from the US to Malaysia with only 2 weeks ... roughly 35 hours (round-trip) of the 330 hours (10%) if eaten up just with flying ... yikes!
Old 10-29-12, 08:40 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For example, if one flies from the US to Malaysia with only 2 weeks ... roughly 35 hours (round-trip) of the 330 hours (10%) if eaten up just with flying ... yikes!
Yep, yikes is right. That does not include layovers even. Most travel times I found one way were 24+ hours when you take in layovers. This is a big selling point to a derailleur system for our situation. Say something does somehow get damaged in travel or on the road, if we have to wait 3-4 days to get a part our whole trip would be greatly compromised since we would have fairly strict deadlines. If something broke on a derailleur system, just go to the nearest LBS and pick up a new one.

If you have nearly unlimited time that would certainly be less of a worry if you have to wait on parts. Then you just have to hope customs does not screw you over too bad.
Old 10-29-12, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Just ride a single speed if your worry level is that great,

But it won't shorten the flight time..
Old 10-29-12, 11:12 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Or lengthen the holiday duration.
Old 10-29-12, 09:01 PM
chriskmurray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just ride a single speed if your worry level is that great,

That is why I like my derailleur systems, if something happens to break there is a damn good chance I could find something near by in most any country. Worst case I have a Troll with horizontal dropouts so singlespeeding my bike in an emergency is pretty easy.
Old 10-30-12, 01:13 AM
acidfast7
Banned

That is why I like my derailleur systems, if something happens to break there is a damn good chance I could find something near by in most any country. Worst case I have a Troll with horizontal dropouts so singlespeeding my bike in an emergency is pretty easy.
I just think we wouldn't tour well together. I don't like tight planned schedules (it is a holiday, right?) and mechanical failure and getting stuck in a tiny village in the French/Polish/Czech/Austrian/Hungarian countryside is part of the adventure. I'd rather not do it if I had to fly 24h, jump on the bike immediately and pedal x number of km per day to meet a goal of making a huge loop and then fly out.

I'm more of a wanderer. I recently wanted to wanted to furniture shop in Switzerland and ended up in a French countryside village buying cheese instead, for example.
Old 10-30-12, 02:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

well i hope diverting the thread to defend something off topic felt empowering..
CKM
Old 10-30-12, 03:51 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck with finding parts in western China, Vietnam, or India outside of big cities.

h
Old 10-30-12, 06:17 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by azesty
Good luck with finding parts in western China, Vietnam, or India outside of big cities.

h
I found Vietnam quite easy to source most parts. Especially along the coast.
Old 10-30-12, 08:36 AM
chriskmurray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by azesty

h
But I can still likely take a bus or set my bike up singlespeed to find the parts instead of having to worry about dealing with customs because the only way to find parts is to have them shipped to me. The beauty of the Troll's dropouts is that going SS is extremely easy IF there happens to be a problem.
Old 10-30-12, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Its just a fortnight trip.. no BFD.
Old 10-30-12, 10:00 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
of course the manufacturer of the hub has, https://rohloff.de/ You first? strip down your bike and weigh every part, and get back with that total.. if minimal weight really is your obsession, get a fixie, or a single speed bike. .
Apologies for late reply as I didn't get back to this thread for a while. To answer your question; no I am not a gram counter. Probably woud be classed as the exact opposite. My posie was geared to seeing if there was a factual assessment as I tend not to believe vendor figures... I remember all well the burn on Gates belt drives for tandems. That turned up the vendor was using a really heavy timing chain to compare its product against and thus the weight savings was a couple of ounces vice 2.5 pounds claimed.
Old 10-30-12, 10:15 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Its just a fortnight trip.. no BFD.
you know bicyclebob, it's more fun to travel with flexible less-better prepared people than inflexible better-prepared people. maybe you and I should tour together. how about the Rheinradweg as i've never been to holland.
Old 10-30-12, 10:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Yea , I've landed in a few airports, then next town I went to the book shop and bought a Map.

The NL Publisher Falk, bike route map is even cleverly made
so you dont expose the whole panel to the wind.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-30-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-30-12, 10:31 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Yea , I've landed in a few airports, then next town I went to the book shop and bought a Map.
i think the best is being a flight from Europe to Bangkok. No one brings anything. Why would you?

on the way back, it's not as much fun, as just about everyone stinks to the high heavens.
Old 10-30-12, 11:10 AM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But I can still likely take a bus or set my bike up singlespeed to find the parts instead of having to worry about dealing with customs because the only way to find parts is to have them shipped to me. The beauty of the Troll's dropouts is that going SS is extremely easy IF there happens to be a problem.
In case of emergency, you can do something similar with IGHs too:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.