Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 03:19 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Pasty
I started riding on October 5th and have been riding almost everyday since. I’ve been pushing myself hard and the improvement is visible almost daily. I weigh 250 pounds (114 kg) and am about 5’11” (180 cm). I haven’t lost any weight and I know this is because I’m gaining muscle at the same time I am burning fat. However, I’m curious as to how long it might take before the muscle gain slows and I actually start losing weight. I understand it’s different for everyone so maybe you guys/gals could just share about how long it took for you to see weight loss so I can maybe get some perspective. Thank you all in advance. If anyone wants to see my progress, my name on Strava is Ryan Storey. I live in Texas, USA.
What and how much are you eating? Exercise is great, but that's only part of the equation. Imagine I told you I was earning lots of extra money, but at the end of the month I was still broke. You'd start to think maybe I was spending the extra money as fast as I was bringing it in, right?

I'll second the rec for My Fitness Pal or something similar. I lost 165 lbs through a combination of tracking, better habits, better nutrition, and exercise, and I've kept the weight off for 4 years now. Tracking is the first and most important step. You can figure the others out as you go along.

But keep on exercising. Regular exercise is great for weight loss, but it is even better for a host of other aspects of your health. Congrats on starting the process.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-26-17, 06:44 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
5' 8" 130 lbs.

Started riding again in late may. Lost 20 lbs of winter weight since. Now I have to cycle less (not likely) or eat more or I'll be a skeleton!!
Old 10-27-17, 06:33 AM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Alright, been eating stupid for a month (AKA relaxing, bulking, holiday, lazyness blah blah)

Got weight gained from 70 to 79.8 kg! dunno its fat or what, just amazed how fast I can gain in a month, heh

Now, my mental and physical are ready to get in shape again, used to goes from 78 downed to 64 in like . . . 3 weeks?

Felt super horrible and unsustainable so I rebound like crazy

I am in for "get it done ASAP"
Old 10-27-17, 12:16 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
5'8" and 162.

I've been as heavy as 187 but I've never really had an issue with my weight. I was at my heaviest when I was actively trying to gain muscle for powerlifting (alas, 187 is far, far too light at 5'8" to be a decent powerlifter).
Old 10-27-17, 12:49 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Sorry to disappoint you, but you're not gaining muscle ... or at least not enough to matter when it comes to weight..
I have to agree, if you look into this it takes quite a bit to gain weight by adding muscle. I have lost roughly 50lbs. which took just over a year by controlling food intake and exercising. I can tell you that if I increase weight lifting I can see a difference but it does not show up on the scale. A healthy weight loss e.g. one that has a chance of being maintained would be about 1 - 2 lbs. per week through changes in eating habits and exercise. With the weight loss you will see a vast improvement in your cycling especially going up hills and your breathing will improve while riding too. Glad your riding so much stick with it.
Old 10-27-17, 03:50 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimis
Alright, been eating stupid for a month (AKA relaxing, bulking, holiday, lazyness blah blah)

Got weight gained from 70 to 79.8 kg! dunno its fat or what, just amazed how fast I can gain in a month, heh

Now, my mental and physical are ready to get in shape again, used to goes from 78 downed to 64 in like . . . 3 weeks?

Felt super horrible and unsustainable so I rebound like crazy

I am in for "get it done ASAP"
You gained 10kg in a month? And used to lose 14kg in 3 weeks?
Old 10-27-17, 04:00 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryder1
Yeah you'd have to be burning 5,000 calories per DAY, and not eat a single thing for three weeks, to actually lose 14kg (or 31 lbs) in 21 days. I'm calling shenanigans on that claim.
Old 10-27-17, 04:20 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I lifted hard and heavy for ~1 year in an attempt to "bulk" and put on about 10kg. Then realized it was half fat, my joints ached, and dropped it all and more over the following ~6 months. 18 months total. TKJava, you could gain/drop that in 7 weeks!
Old 10-27-17, 07:11 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Yeah you'd have to be burning 5,000 calories per DAY, and not eat a single thing for three weeks, to actually lose 14kg (or 31 lbs) in 21 days. I'm calling shenanigans on that claim.
Yeah, my best in 3 weeks was 11 pounds and people were freaking over how unhealthy of a rate that was.
Old 10-27-17, 09:42 PM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryder1
About gain, yeah, I did gained 10kg in just a month, amazing? I dunno why, maybe I am super-saiya endormoph who able to gain mass quick (probably fat, I really eat stupid!)

About losing, when I diet down, I will committing intermittent fasting

When I eat a lot, I usually eat 3 - 4 meals a day (and don't track much calories) and then lean out by IF with calculated calories (not dead precise but try to anyway)

My example is crazy, don't try it, I just can but not mean everyone should

Originally Posted by General Geoff
Ah I dunno if I able to burn 5000 per day but I don't think I could, max is probably 3000

I just do IF, usually fast 20 hours and eat just 2 meals when I leaning

Actually from 78 to 64 is for experiment, I did it because I want to see how much I can lose in one shot but its felt so terrible! its unsustainable of course . . . so I rebound like crazy

That why I gain weight like crazy? this time I aim for 70 and stay in that range
Old 10-29-17, 05:39 AM
Choctaw

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been bouncing at the 210 lbs 6' wall for a few months now. I've finally broke through and I'm now 204 pounds. I can't tell myself that I am on a diet. I tried that once, and it simply broke my will power. I just need to exercise more, and then its not so difficult to stop reaching for a bag of junk food as I don't want to undo all my hard work.
Old 10-31-17, 12:34 PM
mmteixeira

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started at 315 lbs in June 2015 - over the last 2+ years I have lost 135 lbs (down to 180) - I did not diet - I changed the way I eat to clean foods - out went processed foods, white flour, white sugar - meals consisted of a protein (chicken, fish, pork), a vegetable and a potato (normally sweet potatoes) - I measured my food and counted calories everyday in MyFitnessPal - limited to 1850 at first - 1850 calories worth of zucchini or broccoli is quite filling actually vs lower quality processed options - I lost approx 2 lbs per week reaching 180 after about 16 months.

I started running in January 2016 (once I had lost 50 lbs) with a couch-to-5k plan - it was not easy with no athletic background of any kind - I have since completed a dozen 5k's and 10K's, a small handful of half marathon and I just completed my first marathon 3 weeks ago... I added biking about 15 months ago as a cross training alternative to running...

I still eat that way to this day - but I have added back in whole wheat breads and pastas. My weight fluctuates within 180-190 depending on how much I run during the week (it actually crept back over 190 during marathon training).

For me, the diet was the main part - counting calories kept me on track, and there are more than enough "clean" food options to keep me more than satisfied. The exercise definitely helps and should be a part of a healthy lifestyle - I look at running as allowing me to eat more calories as I burn them running...

I hope that helps...
Old 10-31-17, 12:46 PM
northtexasbiker

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Choctaw
I've been bouncing at the 210 lbs 6' wall for a few months now. I've finally broke through and I'm now 204 pounds. I can't tell myself that I am on a diet. I tried that once, and it simply broke my will power. I just need to exercise more, and then its not so difficult to stop reaching for a bag of junk food as I don't want to undo all my hard work.

Everyone is on a diet, some are just better than others. You probably would have more success restricting your intake than assuming you can just burn the excess off. It's a lot easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to burn an additional 500 calories. You want to do both (good diet and exercise) but it's really a good diet that going to impact your weight.
Old 10-31-17, 12:51 PM
northtexasbiker

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mmteixeira;19963892]I started at 315 lbs in June 2015 - over the last 2+ years I have lost 135 lbs (down to 180) - I did not diet - I changed the way I eat to clean foods - out went processed foods, white flour, white sugar - meals consisted of a protein (chicken, fish, pork), a vegetable and a potato (normally sweet potatoes) - I measured my food and counted calories everyday in MyFitnessPal - limited to 1850 at first - 1850 calories worth of zucchini or broccoli is quite filling actually vs lower quality processed options - I lost approx 2 lbs per week reaching 180 after about 16 months. QUOTE]

You did diet. What you eat is your diet whether it's healthy or not. You just didn't fad diet. You just did a regular old fashioned healthy diet.
Old 11-09-17, 02:42 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Wow. If only ugly minds were as visible as peoples weight. What excuses would be made then.

For those who fast.

I just talked to my wife about this yesterday. If doing a 1 day fast is it better to go from after dinner one day to dinner the next or after breakfast one day to the next?

Yesterday I did a fast from dinner to dinner but found myself a little wonky in the afternoon (I bike commute and walk all day as a job). I attributed this to having no easily accessed calories during the day, as my last meal was the night before. It got me thinking that it might be better to eat breakfast and then fast as I would have energy during the day when I need it but not so much in the evening when I don't need it. My lowest point would be when I sleep whereas yesterday my lowest point was in the afternoon at work. Hope that makes sense.

Thoughts?

Ps. 215 5'11"
I have been IFing for about 4 or 5 years, I've lost count. One meal a day, between 5 and 8pm - with one day a week as a cheat day - meaning a big breakfast or brunch. I've lost 40 lbs, gained a bunch of all day baseline energy, and at Medicare age I feel about 50 yo.

Obviously, this has been the way to go for me, but I would be disingenuous to suggest it the right thing for everyone. Until you get past the first 3 or 4 months you are ... experimenting....and lethargy in the afternoon or at the gym can be a problem. i'd allow myself one protein or fatty snack around 1pm if feeling wonky.

It's been as much about performance for me as weight management. My goal was to run distance fairly effortlessly as a fat burner, pure running meditation workouts. The result is I can go trail running for a few hours now with a modest effort, run 5K+ four times a week as a routine. I've run 15 miles with no distance training, just for fun and relaxation. And, I'm a fairly big frame...6ft, 46 inch chest, short legs, ...hardly a runner's body.

One of the unusual things about limiting food frequency, carb intake, is my need for water decreases - I don't dehydrate nearly as rapidly. This is digression I know, but it remarkable how I can go out riding for two or three hours and not touch the water bottle. Now when is see a vintage bike with a single water bottle I'm thinking, yeah...that made sense. I guess there is a scientific rationale invoked here about water bonding & carbs, but I am disinterested....

Candidly, if I was trying to race competitively I doubt this would be workable diet for me. It's an endurance mindset, and not about peak performance. With some tweaks I guess it could be both, but I never want to go back to fueling myself all day ... or fueling on carbs.

Happy camper here.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 11-09-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 04:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
there is a scientific rationale invoked here about water bonding & carbs
Was not able to find clear information on that subject when I looked in to it a long time ago. Still does not have a much info for it thesedays...
Old 11-10-17, 10:45 AM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so since we are talking about fasting here, I need advice. I need to have blood drawn for tests tomorrow. They say to not eat anything before the blood tests. I have hypoglycemia. The bike ride is about 4 miles. A few blocks of that is a traffic nightmare that scares me when I'm in a car, as the road designers apparently did not anticipate the volume of traffic in that area, so I have to be really mentally sharp in that area to avoid being squished.

What can I eat the night before that will keep my blood sugar from tanking mid-ride?
Old 11-10-17, 01:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
What can I eat the night before that will keep my blood sugar from tanking mid-ride?
carbs.

But ... Honestly better to take a cab. If the ride is going to whack your blood numbers, then the testing will be worthless.

Caveat---I am not diabetic, nor a doctor, nor in any way knowledgeable about anything. As I have said elsewhere I have a keyboard and an internet connect and not much else.
Old 11-10-17, 01:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts

There's nothing you can eat the night before that will make a difference. The blood sugar cycle is measured in minutes and hours, so what you eat now is in your bloodstream very quickly, depending on how full your stomach is and what you eat with it, then out of the bloodstream equally quickly.

If you are hypoglycemic, you're probably prone to sugar spikes immediately after eating, and feel the effects of the hypoglycemia afterward.

So, ride slower and easier to avoid drawing your limited reserves down, and get there early to allow you to recover and stabilize before the blood is drawn.

OTOH - if you normally feel the effects of hypoglycemia after rides this short, then you might eat a small chocolate bar half an hour before starting out. But be sure to give your doctor a heads up either way, so he can advise otherwise, or at least factor it when looking at the test results.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-10-17, 01:54 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you are hypoglycemic, you're probably prone to sugar spikes immediately after eating, and feel the effects of the hypoglycemia afterward.
Actually post-eating's not a problem. When I worried about diabetes my husband had me eat the worst meal in the world - tons of white pasta with rolls on the side, very little meat, with a huge super sweet dessert after. It was checked several times over the next few hours, highest it got from all that was 105. Definitely no diabetes. I almost never get my sugar up to triple digits, no matter what I eat.

60s on the other hand...though it's been a few months and 70 pounds since I hit that with any regularity. I have pushed myself too hard though and had a couple of mild drops, which is why I'm concerned.
Old 11-10-17, 03:26 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're not supposed to exercise before a fasting blood test, so taking a cab was probably the best suggestion. If you're determined to bike, I'd say really take it easy on the effort during the ride.
Old 11-10-17, 04:08 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Although a 4 mile bike ride is what, 130 calories?
Old 11-10-17, 05:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Actually post-eating's not a problem. ....
You missed the point.

I mentioned the post eating spike, as part and parcel of the bigger picture that eating has a short term effect, ie. spoke then drop. The point was that nothing you can eat will prevent the effects of hypoglycemia 12+ hours later.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-12-17, 06:49 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
6'4" 230. Down from 300, but up from 190. Need to get back on the wagon.

Frankly, that's scary, putting caffeine in you and then either cycling in traffic or driving to the gym. You know what exercise without food leads to? Disorientation. Because your blood sugar is too low to support your brain's requirements. I've hit a glucose level of 55 many times, so I know full well what it does to your brain, and it's not safe to be on the road.

Nope. That fat might be good for safe calorie restriction diets, but skipping food and exercising is going to lead to a blood sugar drop, and that is stupid dangerous.
I was the same way when I had hypoglycemic tendencies. Had to constantly snack as a teen/young adult. On the other hand, some cross country buddies would skip breakfast(why carry the extra weight?) and take caffeine pills right before races. We aren't talking slow people, either. All of us were sub 17 for 5k, and a few flirted with 14:xx on fast courses. Definitely an individual problem. I don't worry about my blood sugar since my metabolism slowed down and I'm not running an unhealthily low body fat anymore.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
People tell me it takes about 45 minutes of aerobic exercise to kick your body into high fat-burning gear for about six hours, and at least 15 or 20 to do any good at all. Also, some folks find that they cannot risde 45 minutes a day hard right away .... which means that a lto of the time they are breaking down their bodies, not building them up.
Nothing wrong with using up your glycogen. Takes a long time and effort until you start breaking down muscle for fuel. No idea about the science, but when I was seriously running the belief was that 18-22 miles was useful for training, but anything longer than that was detrimental.

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I use a power meter, so I get my work in kJ, which roughly translates into calories. So for that ride I expended 270 calories, not really a lot when you think about it, so you'd have to go on around 10 rides like that to burn a pound.
Human body isn't anywhere close to 100% efficient. Multiply the work you did by a factor of 3.5-4.5 to get calories burned.
Old 11-12-17, 09:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
I use a power meter, so I get my work in kJ, which roughly translates into calories. So for that ride I expended 270 calories, not really a lot when you think about it, so you'd have to go on around 10 rides like that to burn a pound.
Human body isn't anywhere close to 100% efficient. Multiply the work you did by a factor of 3.5-4.5 to get calories burned.
Just to explain what he meant, converting kj to kilocalorie you divide the powermeter number by four (roughly) and then you multiply that by four (roughly) to account for metabolic efficiency. So the final number, by accident of the conversion factor comes out nearly the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.