Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

People have started noticing in the office

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

People have started noticing in the office

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 02:00 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
And over time, your conception of what's uncomfortable changes. That's practical Stoicism.
Absolutely. If the Times become too easy, you must consciously cultivate Resilience, or else you may start sounding like this:

In the spring: are you still riding your bike? it's so windy!
In summer: are you still riding your bike? it's so hot!
In the fall: are you still riding your bike? it's so rainy!
In the winter: are you still riding your bike? it's so cold!
Old 11-08-17, 04:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
That's food for thought, @caloso. I like it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-08-17, 04:42 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Old 11-09-17, 05:45 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's funny, I subscribe to a Stoicism group on another popular social media site and someone posted a question about physical Stoic practices, which is to say allowing yourself to be uncomfortable so that you train yourself to not hold onto comfort. The usual suggestions are cold showers, fasting, going out in the rain without a coat, etc.

I immediately thought of cycling, and in particular, bike commuting. Often we are uncomfortable, maybe we forgot our gloves or get caught out in the rain. But we carry on, knowing that the discomfort is temporary and there's no use complaining. And over time, your conception of what's uncomfortable changes.

That's practical Stoicism.
This reminds me of hearing a story (while watching the Tour de France) of a coach that would force his riders to ride for hours on a trainer. He would put them in a room without air conditioning, place the bikes so that they will all be facing the wall and not allow any electronic devices/radios. This was all designed to build the mental toughness.
Old 11-14-17, 06:07 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
use axe body spray
Old 11-16-17, 08:34 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Use a skull cap like the one from Halo to prevent helmet stink. I use a Halo skull cap on every ride, year round, and the sweat doesn't even reach my helmet pads. I've had my current helmet 2.5 years now, never washed the pads, and they do not smell at all. My old helmet, on the other hand, would get stinky all the time before I started using the skull cap.

And although you might think it would be more hot in the summer, to me my head actually feels cooler with the Halo cap under my helmet. I bought it mainly to keep sweat out of my eyes, but the white tech fabric seems to help keep my head cool also. But then again I also keep my hair buzzed which probably helps with some of that.
Old 11-20-17, 12:21 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Use a skull cap like the one from Halo to prevent helmet stink. I use a Halo skull cap on every ride, year round, and the sweat doesn't even reach my helmet pads.
Dew Wrap here. I used to get serious stink in my lid, but now smell free.
Wearing a helmet without a wrap is like wearing shoes without socks, or jeans without undies: gross, something I just would not do. Saves a lot of money in helmets.