Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good water bottle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good water bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 12:36 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is a local business, made in the USA
KOALA BOTTLE | The Magnetic Bottle System
Old 08-02-16, 12:46 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
In my quest for colder water, I decided to try a pair of Camelback Podium Ice bottles this summer. You lose 4 oz fluid capacity due to the extra insulation, but if I can ride 4-5 hours and still have ice cubes floating around in a bottle that's been refilled twice, that's pretty good.
Old 08-02-16, 01:57 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Podagrower
In my quest for colder water, I decided to try a pair of Camelback Podium Ice bottles this summer. You lose 4 oz fluid capacity due to the extra insulation, but if I can ride 4-5 hours and still have ice cubes floating around in a bottle that's been refilled twice, that's pretty good.
This is why I have an insulated stainless bottle. Your drinks will stay cold all day!
Old 07-03-18, 05:21 AM
crystonwaston33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to my personal experience I like stainless steel water bottles which contains versatile steel that is good as compare to plastic water bottles.
Old 07-03-18, 07:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So no issues with these bottles staying in their cages over bumps?; ie, noticing they lack the typical water bottle indent that I thought a bike cage relied on to lock the bottle in. ie. comparo
This is why I don't use some of the bottles mentioned in this thread - no indent to help them stay in the cage.
Old 07-04-18, 05:10 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, after reading this it appears I probably need to upgrade my bottle. Just ordered a couple camelbaks.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, they’ll be as good as most seem to think.
Old 07-04-18, 10:02 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Another + for the Purist line. They don't taint the taste of the water.
Old 07-04-18, 10:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
A comment re: insulated bottles. I won't use them because in hot weather, they run counter to proper hydration on two counts (if you are using cage mounter bottles). 1) the bottles are smaller inside and hold significantly less due to the insulation. (This probably isn't an issue if your bottles don't need to fit standard cages.) 2) cold beverages are absorbed slower by the body. And 3) cold beverages quench your thirst. Once your thirst is quenched, there is less incentive to keep drinking.

Now. if it is say 95, well 95 degree water isn't thirst quenching so I keep drinking. And that is almost always exactly what I should be doing. (I say water, but I always fill my bottles with Vitalyte, both for the electrolytes and I find I can drink it faster with no issue than plain water. I've been drinking Vitalyte for 40 years. Every time I try something else, I get reminded why I keep coming back to it.)

Ben
Old 07-04-18, 10:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If anyone tries to take my Podium ICE bottles away from me, I will kill them. Do I have to fill them up more frequently? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes.

I went through 9 of them today. So just a gallon and a half. No biggie. Taking a cool drink of water at mile 90 feels good.
Old 07-04-18, 11:15 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by orange gato
i like my polar bottle
+1
Old 07-04-18, 11:20 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecopp
The "immortals" must have been mortally wounded because the link says:

Oops - We couldn't find that one

Long live the mortals...
Old 07-04-18, 11:21 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave

+1
+2

But you HAVE to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GW3D5Q0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Then we be kin

It's by far the Best one they have. Out of all of them. Promise. The "C" stands out and holds a little extra more water than the rest of them because of this reason.

Last edited by COBikeLover; 07-05-18 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 01:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Best water bottle I've tried for keeping water cold and crisp tasting is a stainless thermos bottle -- Cold 1 by Reduce, but other brands are probably just as good. Fits a standard bottle cage. Standard Polar and Camelbak lids fit. I prefer the Camelbak -- you still have to suck out the water but it seems like prone to splashing due to the self sealing diaphragm.

On a 7 hour ride a few days ago when the temp didn't drop below 90 until after dark, both plastic bottles were hot within an hour. But after 7 hours the stainless bottle still had a bit of ice and was cold and refreshing. It's heavy but worth it for really hot rides. If you're already carrying three or more bottles, carrying at least one stainless insulated bottle won't add much weight and that cold water can be a lifesaver on 100F+ days.
Old 07-05-18, 01:39 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Ice cold fluids taste great and give you a cooling down feeling, however your body still has to work lower any fluid you drink to your internal body temperature before using it. I don’t get hung up with how ice cold my water is, I just keep hydrating during my ride.
Old 07-05-18, 03:39 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
My old Camelbak Podium Chill is the one I usually grab when I go out cycling. It has served me well for several years and I've not had any problems with it. I see there's a mention of the Ice version but I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the Chill.

I have the regular one too but it doesn't keep the water cool for very long.
Old 07-05-18, 06:28 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
Try the 'Purist Hydroflo' bottle, best one I've ever used and adds no plastic flavor to the water, made with resins instead of BPA plastics. They also have a spill proof mouthpiece.
Much confusion evidenced in this post.
- All plastics are made from "resins". Water bottles can be resin + BPA, or resin with some other additive(s) that is not BPA. So the sentence "made with resins instead of BPA plastics" makes no sense since it is not plastic at all if it is not made from plastic resins
- BPA is an additive. It is added to the "plastic resins" (and other things) to give the plastic bottle certain properties. BPA is a "plasticizer", but "plastic" is used in this sense not to refer to the material "plastic", it is an adjective describing the properties conferred to the bottle by the addition of BPA - BPA makes "plastic" more "plastic", in other words, it makes the material (noun: "plastic") softer and more deformable (adj. "plastic").

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-18, 06:36 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i use two camelbak insulated bottles, they keep water cold, which is refreshing when hot and I don't experienced any ill taste.

****make sure you take valve apart and clean regularly*******

if you haven't done so in a couple weeks...or months.....or years you undoubtably will find it full of black mold which I wouldn't suppose is healthy or helps with taste of water. Its easy to take them apart, just twist and bend off, there are youtube videos on how to do it.

I assume you should do the same with any other bottle that has a plastic drink valve
Old 07-05-18, 06:52 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A comment re: insulated bottles. I won't use them because in hot weather, they run counter to proper hydration on two counts (if you are using cage mounter bottles). 1) the bottles are smaller inside and hold significantly less due to the insulation. (This probably isn't an issue if your bottles don't need to fit standard cages.)
True, insulated bottles of the same outer dimensions as an un-insulated bottle have a lower capacity.

2) cold beverages are absorbed slower by the body.
Sorry, this is simply incorrect. Many studies have shown that cold liquids are absorbed more quickly than warm liquids. For example, see:
https://www.healthshare.com.au/quest...an-cold-water/

And 3) cold beverages quench your thirst. Once your thirst is quenched, there is less incentive to keep drinking.

Now. if it is say 95, well 95 degree water isn't thirst quenching so I keep drinking. And that is almost always exactly what I should be doing. (I say water, but I always fill my bottles with Vitalyte, both for the electrolytes and I find I can drink it faster with no issue than plain water. I've been drinking Vitalyte for 40 years. Every time I try something else, I get reminded why I keep coming back to it.)

Ben
Maybe you're different, but for me the "quenched" feeling is transitory, when it is hot I have no trouble feeling thirsty again when it is time to drink. Also I drink on a schedule (e.g. a couple of mouthfuls every 10 min. or so), not necessarily when I feel thirsty. This helps in cool weather when I might not feel thirsty for long periods of time.
Old 07-05-18, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
I believe my Camelbak Podium Big Chill bottles have the greatest volume of any bottle I have ever used. 25 oz. I use them for touring.
Old 07-05-18, 10:40 AM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BugDude
Camelback Podium Big Chill insulated 25oz bottle. Once I found these the rest of my water bottles became obsolete. They rule!!!

https://www.camelbak.com/en/Canada/Sp...hill-25oz.aspx

I'll second this, I love mine. Haven't touched my other bottles since.
Old 07-05-18, 03:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
True, insulated bottles of the same outer dimensions as an un-insulated bottle have a lower capacity.

Sorry, this is simply incorrect. Many studies have shown that cold liquids are absorbed more quickly than warm liquids. For example, see:
https://www.healthshare.com.au/quest...an-cold-water/

Maybe you're different, but for me the "quenched" feeling is transitory, when it is hot I have no trouble feeling thirsty again when it is time to drink. Also I drink on a schedule (e.g. a couple of mouthfuls every 10 min. or so), not necessarily when I feel thirsty. This helps in cool weather when I might not feel thirsty for long periods of time.
I don't drink "on schedule". Never have. Riding fix gear, there are often long stretches where I don't want to take a hand of the bars. To make up for this, I down my waterbottles often a 1/2 bottle at a time. I find I can do this easily with warm water but it feels like I put a block in my stomach if I try that with cold water. Theory may say that the cold water is absorbed faster, but if I cannot drink it and ride, that is academic.

Ben
Old 07-05-18, 03:40 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
i use two camelbak insulated bottles, they keep water cold, which is refreshing when hot and I don't experienced any ill taste.

****make sure you take valve apart and clean regularly*******

if you haven't done so in a couple weeks...or months.....or years you undoubtably will find it full of black mold which I wouldn't suppose is healthy or helps with taste of water. Its easy to take them apart, just twist and bend off, there are youtube videos on how to do it.

I assume you should do the same with any other bottle that has a plastic drink valve
Interesting to know. I've never taken the valve apart on either of my Camelbaks. Will look into this tomorrow!
Old 07-05-18, 04:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Interesting to know. I've never taken the valve apart on either of my Camelbaks. Will look into this tomorrow!
Also worth knowing is you can get replacement lids/tops for about $6.
Old 07-05-18, 06:07 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
I used polar and purist bottles for the last few years. Standard 750ml size. Purist is my go to unless I need insulation, then I'll reach for the polar. The polar loses insulation quickly if I forget to close the nozzle between sips, but works well otherwise. Recently I picked up some elite 950ml bottles for longer rides. They are biodegradable race bottles so they feel flimsy so I try to only use them when I really need the larger capacity.
Old 07-06-18, 08:31 AM
jf19451

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Hydroflask bottles with some ice and It keeps my water cold. The little bit of extra weight is worth it to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.