Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

BPA free water bottles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

BPA free water bottles

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 12:29 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BPA free water bottles

I've been on the hunt for water bottles that are BPA free. For obvious health reason, and for clean tasting water. Every bottle I've tried, other than the metal SIGG bottle I have, has that awful plastic taste. Surely there must be a bottle that provides a clean water taste. I've found two that I'm considering. One from Polar Bottle, and also one from Camelback. Has anyone used one of these, and are they as they claim - taste free?

Amazon.com : Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle (20-Ounce, Red) : Sports Water Bottles : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Camelbak Products Podium Chill Water Bottle, Crimson, 21-Ounce : Sports Outdoors : Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-01-14, 12:56 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Biking water bottles have never been made with BPA. Only some hard Lexan type plastics had BPA.

Both the Polar and Camelback insulated bottles taste fine to me. But note that you give up some capacity for a given physical size.
Old 09-01-14, 01:17 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Even without the BPA most plastic bottles have that plastic taste. I prefer Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottle. The insulated ones won't fit in regular bottle cages but do fit in the King Cage Iris ones.
Old 09-01-14, 01:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. I like Sigg lined aluminum ones

the airflow in the cap lets the liquid out without squeezing*
since you like Amazon here: Amazon.com : SIGG .75 Litre Aluminum Bottle (Wide Mouth Sport Black Touch) : Sports Water Bottles : Sports & Outdoors

i got a white colored one , local store sold it. ,
for AZ put it in a white cotton tube sock and wet the sock to have the evaporation cool it down..

* the cap locks closed and wont leak . a small one goes inside the B's front bag , it doesn't even have to stand upright.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-01-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 02:23 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
.. I like Sigg lined aluminum ones

the airflow in the cap lets the liquid out without squeezing*
since you like Amazon here: Amazon.com : SIGG .75 Litre Aluminum Bottle (Wide Mouth Sport Black Touch) : Sports Water Bottles : Sports & Outdoors

i got a white colored one , local store sold it. ,
for AZ put it in a white cotton tube sock and wet the sock to have the evaporation cool it down..

* the cap locks closed and wont leak . a small one goes inside the B's front bag , it doesn't even have to stand upright.
I do exactly that. I have a couple of SIGG bottles. In the summer I put ice in it and then I put the bottle in a sock like you pointed out. If I socket it, it would be dry in no time in the heat here. I was wondering if I could get the same quality from a plastic bottle that can be squeezed.
Old 09-01-14, 02:23 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
At REI I saw a couple of water bottles that wouldn't have the plastic taste, one was stainless steel and the second was glass with a rubberized outside. I don't like the glass one be cause a small chip may go unnoticed and ingested.
Old 09-01-14, 02:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Seems Merry Sales wholesales (via your LBS) RBW Retails some clear ones .. https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/wb1.htm
Old 09-01-14, 03:19 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
In my experience, Camelbak and Specialized Purist bottles have no plastic taste. For my purposes the bottles need to be squeezable so as to be able to drink effectively while riding in a group/paceline. This rules out stainless steel, glass, etc...
Old 09-01-14, 03:20 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I never liked the plastic taste when the water was in the bottle for a few hours. yuk.

Camelbak Podium bottles were supposed to be better, so I got one and tested it, filled for 24 hours. No plastic taste at all. And I really like the automatic valves on them too. I've been using them ever since.
Old 09-01-14, 03:32 PM
congaree

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have polar bottles and have never had any taste from them except a water taste. They do a good job of keeping the water cool if you freeze a half-full bottle then top it off before riding.
Old 09-01-14, 03:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I never liked the plastic taste when the water was in the bottle for a few hours. yuk.

Camelbak Podium bottles were supposed to be better, so I got one and tested it, filled for 24 hours. No plastic taste at all. And I really like the automatic valves on them too. I've been using them ever since.
I've been using these for a couple years and agree. The caps don't leak when you squeeze the bottle, either.
Old 07-10-18, 06:55 AM
crystonwaston33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am always prefer the personalized custom designed water bottle and I love its taste. But I like these BPA free bottles too. I always prefer to buy stainless steel water bottle with plastic-free caps for drinking purpose. Have you decided not to buy bottled water?
Old 07-10-18, 07:24 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
Biking water bottles have never been made with BPA. Only some hard Lexan type plastics had BPA.

Both the Polar and Camelback insulated bottles taste fine to me. But note that you give up some capacity for a given physical size.
The wife recently threw away ALL of our sport bottles because of the BPA boogeyman... Some of those bottles were commemorative and unique and I hated to see them go. I willingly relented while gently chiding her, she did purchase replacement bottles that were "BPA Free" after all. I'm not minimizing the threat of BPA, but she is a self proclaimed "faddist" and prone to some pretty bizarre ideas that stir things up around the house but ultimately fizzle away (looking at YOU Tiny Home Building!!!).

To your quote, I'd never heard this before (though it's too late to save my favorite bottles)! Is the information you provided anecdotal, or are you involved in the materials or manufacturing of the plastics/ bottles?

I wish this thread had bubbled up a week or two ago...
Old 07-10-18, 07:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Fwp
Old 07-10-18, 08:41 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBraden
To your quote, I'd never heard this before (though it's too late to save my favorite bottles)! Is the information you provided anecdotal, or are you involved in the materials or manufacturing of the plastics/ bottles?

I wish this thread had bubbled up a week or two ago...
From the Washington Post (4/15/2008):
"To avoid exposure to BPA:* Look for BPA-free toys, baby bottles and containers. There's been a recent explosion of such products, which may often carry a higher price tag.* Reduce your use of canned food; eat fresh or frozen foods instead. Bisphenol A has been found in the lining of canned food tins.* If you use hard polycarbonate plastics (Nalgene bottles, baby bottles, sippy cups), do not heat them or use them for warm or hot liquids. Heating plastics to high temperatures may promote the leaching of chemicals out of containers and into the food or liquid they hold. Freezing plastics poses no such risk.* Instead of polycarbonate and PVC plastics, consider using alternatives such as polyethylene plastic -- also labeled as PETE or recycling code #1 , #2 (HDPE) and #4 (LDPE). Polypropylene (recycling code #5 , or PP) is also considered a safe choice. Recycling code #7 may mean the product contains BPA."

The common squeezable biking water bottles that I have are labeled as type 4, LDPE, which isn't made with BPA.
Old 07-10-18, 09:00 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
From the Washington Post (4/15/2008):
"To avoid exposure to BPA:* Look for BPA-free toys, baby bottles and containers. There's been a recent explosion of such products, which may often carry a higher price tag.* Reduce your use of canned food; eat fresh or frozen foods instead. Bisphenol A has been found in the lining of canned food tins.* If you use hard polycarbonate plastics (Nalgene bottles, baby bottles, sippy cups), do not heat them or use them for warm or hot liquids. Heating plastics to high temperatures may promote the leaching of chemicals out of containers and into the food or liquid they hold. Freezing plastics poses no such risk.* Instead of polycarbonate and PVC plastics, consider using alternatives such as polyethylene plastic -- also labeled as PETE or recycling code #1 , #2 (HDPE) and #4 (LDPE). Polypropylene (recycling code #5 , or PP) is also considered a safe choice. Recycling code #7 may mean the product contains BPA."

The common squeezable biking water bottles that I have are labeled as type 4, LDPE, which isn't made with BPA.
DURN! DARN! AND SHOOT!!! I KNOW I saw a 4 inside that triangle!

I guess if I were more attached to those old bottles I'd have put up more of a fight! Thanks for the information there! I guess the pile of evidence for "slow-rolling" her just grew a bit. How many fads does it take to make a mountain anyway??? I may only have enough for a mole hill at this point...
Old 07-11-18, 06:12 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
This topic shows my Polar water bottle.

The bottle has worked well and is free of taste.