Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

difficult fine tune bearing adjust on SS

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 11:09 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

so, i serviced the bearings on sigle speed hub. Tightened the bearing locknut. The bearing feels a tad too tight. So...

i am suppose to slightly turn both cone nuts counterclockwise to loosen bearing.

But the freewheel is in the way of the wrench. How should one go about it?

Example: see the cone nut is deep inside the freewheel. No wrnech can get in there.
Old 06-04-21, 12:43 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Do your adjusting from the side opposite the freewheel.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-04-21, 01:16 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by Rick
adjust from left side is for coarse adjustment.

for fine adjustment,
i need adjust both sides simultaneously...

as per Park instruction video.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-04-21 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-04-21, 04:57 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by Rick
ok...i think i know what you mean. i put the hub into the drop out, and tighten the right axle nut only. Then i can turn the left side cone by itself for fine adjustment.
Old 06-04-21, 08:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Not asked for but I'll speak out anyway- The image shows one of the big no nos in working on a rear wheel. Cutting out the spokes before removing the cog(set). Makes for challenges with relacing a rim onto the hub, besides the mentioned access to the bearings.

I do wonder if the SS FW shown has remover notches on the back side. Andy
Old 06-04-21, 08:24 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Not asked for but I'll speak out anyway- The image shows one of the big no nos in working on a rear wheel. Cutting out the spokes before removing the cog(set). Makes for challenges with relacing a rim onto the hub, besides the mentioned access to the bearings.

I do wonder if the SS FW shown has remover notches on the back side. Andy
Thank you for sharing.
Building a wheel is something I want to do.
This is better to know ahead of time.
But I bet it’s one of those “You’ll only make this mistake once” type of things.
Old 06-05-21, 06:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Andy,
There is something so not right about the pictured hub / freewheel assembly. Looks like trouble with a capital T. I am often left in bewilderment at what I see in the bike world. Smiles, MH
Old 06-05-21, 07:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Andy,
There is something so not right about the pictured hub / freewheel assembly. Looks like trouble with a capital T. I am often left in bewilderment at what I see in the bike world. Smiles, MH
For one thing it looks unused. No wear on the cog teeth, locknut surfaces and only one spoke hole looks to be elbow indented... which might just be a dirt speck? The steel multi piece hub and rather low cost freewheel says to me not much will be expected but learning how to do stuff. Andy
Old 06-05-21, 07:47 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Back to the point, rather than struggle getting two cone wrenches on, start again a little looser and tighten to perfection with two 17 mm combination wrenches.
Old 06-06-21, 12:55 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Back to the point, rather than struggle getting two cone wrenches on, start again a little looser and tighten to perfection with two 17 mm combination wrenches.
.thats what i ended up doing.

one interesting observation....

the force required to adjust the bearing with two 17mm wrenches is not much, which surprised me.
because when i tighten each side with a 15mm & 17mm, it is super tight.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-06-21 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 02:00 AM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
the final adjustment is with the nuts on the frame, the axle will be compressed a bit because of that.

what i do is measure how many seconds (or i'd rather say beats) i get once the wheel is spinning (no chain mounted) at say 90bpm (rpm) with the tiniest bit of play (or no play but also negligible preload). just have a youtube as a metronome. the seals will have some drag and there's a bit of air drag too. then i tighten everything (including the wheel mounted on the frame) so there is a yet unknown but detectable preload achieved. i note the difference i get with that preload and i do the math. the drag effect of preload on the bearings is much less than the seals drag. having 20 seconds difference in wheel spin would be enough, i'd say to shoot for at least 10 seconds difference.

if the grease is not crap then it will have some additive(s) meant to increase viscosity under pressure... and preload increases the pressure for the wheel spinning with only it's small weight pressing on the bearing (and then your weight when riding will make the balls atop exerting less pressure). so YMMV.

Last edited by adipe; 06-06-21 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 10:04 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Looking at that hub, I think that the OP is going to have trouble installing spokes on the drive side if they are planning on building a wheel
Old 06-06-21, 07:29 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Looking at that hub, I think that the OP is going to have trouble installing spokes on the drive side if they are planning on building a wheel
that picture is not my actual hub. but you are right, getting the freewheel off is a must. My freewheel has 8 notches on it. There are special tools to remove freewheel. but i have been hestitant to buy more tool.

i need to replace the rusty spokes soon. so sooner or later, i need to get the freewheel off so the spokes can be replaced.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-06-21 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-06-21, 07:41 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by adipe
the final adjustment is with the nuts on the frame, the axle will be compressed a bit because of that.

what i do is measure how many seconds (or i'd rather say beats) i get once the wheel is spinning (no chain mounted) at say 90bpm (rpm) with the tiniest bit of play (or no play but also negligible preload). just have a youtube as a metronome. the seals will have some drag and there's a bit of air drag too. then i tighten everything (including the wheel mounted on the frame) so there is a yet unknown but detectable preload achieved. i note the difference i get with that preload and i do the math. the drag effect of preload on the bearings is much less than the seals drag. having 20 seconds difference in wheel spin would be enough, i'd say to shoot for at least 10 seconds difference.

if the grease is not crap then it will have some additive(s) meant to increase viscosity under pressure... and preload increases the pressure for the wheel spinning with only it's small weight pressing on the bearing (and then your weight when riding will make the balls atop exerting less pressure). so YMMV.
i dont think i get all that. but i think your point is it is good to have some preload on the bearings. right?
Old 06-07-21, 02:36 AM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i dont think i get all that. but i think your point is it is good to have some preload on the bearings. right?
yes, and one more thing: suppose Z preload is optimal; 2*Z will be worse than Z/2.
if the bearings have the right preload than it will be much, much less drag from it than from the seals. so if you want to fine tune that preload you should compare the drag of the wheel spinning with no preload (seals and air drag) and then add just a slight preload so you can barely detect it. and to fine tune it you need to resort to clocking the wheel slowing down from a measured rpm.