Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

How to alighn a frame with out a table and not make things worse?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

How to alighn a frame with out a table and not make things worse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 08:34 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
How to align a frame with out a table and not make things worse?

I've got a nicer for me bike that needs some rear triangle adjustment. I figured I'd get it close enough for now with string and a Park gauge.

Google took me to an RJ the bike guy youtube video demonstrating the Sheldon 2x4 method and it looked like the seat tube was bowing significantly when force was applied.

The other recommended method is to clamp the bottom bracket in a vice with sacrificial cups screwed in and push and pull the dropouts. this seams like the bending change will be primarily in the chain stays, which will have to be over bent to pull the seat stays over into alignment. That seems like it would be adding unnecessary stress to the structure.

What I'm thinking of doing is clamping the bottom bracket in a vice, padding the seat tube with a hose and attaching a full leangth piece of angle iron on top to act as the fulcrum for the 2x4. I would still be levering off the seat and head tubes, but I think the seat tube would be protected from bending and the support from the bottom bracket would make the adjustment more controllable.

Anyone think that's worth doing verses just clamping the bottom bracket? Or am I overthinking how to move the triangle over a couple mm to get the wheel centered and the bike rideable.?

Last edited by bark_eater; 06-14-23 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 11:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
My general statement is moving the dropouts will result in the same amount of stress no matter how you do it. You just don't want to apply any point loads. If I understand your proposed method, it sounds pretty good. I have used the "put the frame on a rug and yank the dropouts one at a time while standing on the seat tube" method. I probably supported the seat tube a little or did it at the top of the steps, I don't remember. Worked just fine. I forgot I had done that until just now. I have more controllable methods now.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-15-23, 07:44 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I have just bolted the dropouts securely to a gatepost and pulled on the headtube..
Old 06-16-23, 07:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've got a nicer for me bike that needs some rear triangle adjustment. I figured I'd get it close enough for now with string and a Park gauge.

Google took me to an RJ the bike guy youtube video demonstrating the Sheldon 2x4 method and it looked like the seat tube was bowing significantly when force was applied.

The other recommended method is to clamp the bottom bracket in a vice with sacrificial cups screwed in and push and pull the dropouts. this seams like the bending change will be primarily in the chain stays, which will have to be over bent to pull the seat stays over into alignment. That seems like it would be adding unnecessary stress to the structure.

What I'm thinking of doing is clamping the bottom bracket in a vice, padding the seat tube with a hose and attaching a full leangth piece of angle iron on top to act as the fulcrum for the 2x4. I would still be levering off the seat and head tubes, but I think the seat tube would be protected from bending and the support from the bottom bracket would make the adjustment more controllable.

Anyone think that's worth doing verses just clamping the bottom bracket? Or am I overthinking how to move the triangle over a couple mm to get the wheel centered and the bike rideable.?
While I think some of your padding is overkill I do think you should that the time and use the method you have decided on. The more you stabilize the frame and can control the bending forces the better IME. One also wants to be able to "walk up to" the final dimensions, most frame or fork alignments I've done have had cycles of setting force and measuring to "learn" the frame's response and not go too far. So being able to remove the bending bar (2x4, hockey stick, bar bell) and reposition it easily will be appreciated.

While I do face and chase the shell before alignment I don't use cups during. If I'm clamping in a bench vise I'll pad the faces with small 1/4" thick steel plates. Andy