Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

My dad wants a frame with a dented down tube. Is it a dangerous dent?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 06:21 PM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts

This is crossposted due to a recommendation from the folks on the sub.

My dad wants this old steel frame, but it has a dent in the down tube by the bottom bracket. It is $500 but in good shape I imagine the frame would be worth more like $800.

I asked for more pictures of the dent and they are hard to make out, as these often are. The seller says it doesn't seem creased, or at least not badly, but it's hard to tell because of the paint chip. It looks a bit creased to me though. He said he can run his finger along the inside of the tube and it just feels like a little dent, fwiw. My dad is probably about 250 pounds and 65 years old. He doesn't plan to ride this bike hard, but would you be concerned putting him on this even for leisurely rides? He doesn't care cosmetically but if it were a safety concern I'd probably rather chip in to help him get one without the damage.

[Edited to add photos]

Old 07-02-23, 06:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Because of that dent, that's a $100 frame in my estimation. I don't know if it's going to fail because of it, but there is a distinct possibility
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-02-23, 06:47 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Yeah, for $500 you can do way way better than that.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 07-02-23, 08:46 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
The problem with that dent is that it has a crease. The chances that it will eventually break are really high. Steel doesn't crack catastrophically. It will begin at the edge of the crease and grow until it has gone all the way around the tube. So your dad - if he buys and rides it - will not likely kill himself because the time it takes for the crease to develop into a crack all the way around will take long enough to warn him before it totally fails. But he would have wasted his money unless he just wants it as a wall hanger. Of course if he loves the frame he can get the tube replaced and the frame repainted but that can be expensive. Just for context, I've seen frames break with less of a dent than the one in the picture that started this thread.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 07-02-23, 09:04 PM
J_Climacus 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
The problem with that dent is that it has a crease. The chances that it will eventually break are really high. Steel doesn't crack catastrophically. It will begin at the edge of the crease and grow until it has gone all the way around the tube. So your dad - if he buys and rides it - will not likely kill himself because the time it takes for the crease to develop into a crack all the way around will take long enough to warn him before it totally fails. But he would have wasted his money unless he just wants it as a wall hanger. Of course if he loves the frame he can get the tube replaced and the frame repainted but that can be expensive. Just for context, I've seen frames break with less of a dent than the one in the picture that started this thread.
Very helpful, thank you. I am going to tell him to pass on this one and keep up the search for him.
Likes For J_Climacus:
Old 07-06-23, 06:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Climacus
Very helpful, thank you. I am going to tell him to pass on this one and keep up the search for him.
J_Climacus what is your dad looking for? a suggestion is to go to the Classic and Vinatage section and check out sale, you coupld put up a want to buy or just ask for ideas. you might be surprised at the response

Old 07-06-23, 06:22 PM
J_Climacus 

Originally Posted by squirtdad
J_Climacus what is your dad looking for? a suggestion is to go to the Classic and Vinatage section and check out sale, you coupld put up a want to buy or just ask for ideas. you might be surprised at the response
He's looking for a Masi. Both me and my sister have one, and he wants to have one to ride with us and be "part of the group"

And that's a good idea on the c&v! I've just been watching eBay but his budget it more limited than what you tend to see there.