Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bikes with 700c and wide tire clearance (cantis)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage bikes with 700c and wide tire clearance (cantis)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 07:50 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Widish Tires w/ Cantis

Though they can be a challenge to source, the Bridgestone RBT fits the bill. (Sorry if it's already been mentioned)
Old 07-25-23, 08:54 PM
Danmozy66

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kommisar
700c, steel and cantis sounds like a surly cross check to me...
yup I’d agree. A bit pricier from what I’ve seen, and maybe a bit clunky ish
Old 07-25-23, 08:55 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OutnBack
Though they can be a challenge to source, the Bridgestone RBT fits the bill. (Sorry if it's already been mentioned)
haven’t heard of this one, I’ll check it out. Love their old mtb
Old 07-25-23, 08:59 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Or just about any vintage bike with the word "touring" associated with it. Trek 520/620/720, Raleigh portage/Alyeska, Miyata 1000/610, etc etc etc.
I’m seeing a lot of concensus for the multi track treks and the 1000 miyatas. Thanks all, I will be keeping my eye open for all the bikes discussed in this thread.

Just looked this up this miyata—VERY cool. How common is it to find these pop up? What’s their weight like and max tire clearance anyone know? How does it differ from the triple cross? Because I have ridden one of those before

Maybe unlikely to ever find these and better to focus on 610 but damn it’s looking nice in this article.

https://cargocollective.com/BRAZENBICYCLES/Miyata-1000

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-26-23 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-25-23, 09:16 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Good luck finding one of those, they are highly coveted.

Later I'll measure my trek 720, plenty of space if you ask me. My Raleigh Alyeska has less space
Old 07-25-23, 09:52 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
I’m seeing a lot of concensus for the multi track treks and the 1000 miyatas. Thanks all, I will be keeping my eye open for all the bikes discussed in this thread.

Just looked this up this miyata—VERY cool. How common is it to find these pop up? What’s their weight like and max tire clearance anyone know? How does it differ from the triple cross? Because I have ridden one of those before

but damn it’s looking pretty incredible in this article.

https://cargocollective.com/BRAZENBICYCLES/Miyata-1000
I guess that would depend on where you are. I have seen a few around Vancouver. I sold a 1990 last week. I had 35c on it once, but I didn't add fenders. I have a Schwinn Crosscut and Crosspoint. I believe they came stock with 38s, so you could go larger. They are more similar to the Triplecross, and they don't feel the same as the LT at all, since they have different geometries as well as flat bars rather than drops. I had an 85 Sequoia once. Had 35c no fenders on it. Really nice bike. I sold it because it was too big for me. I think I read somewhere here on the forums it was Champion 2 all around except the down tube, which was stiffer. I did want to keep the LT as it was in really good shape, but I wasn't riding it enough, and I don't think I will ever be on tour at all. Weight wise, I would say decent for a loaded touring bike, but it's a loaded touring bike.
Old 07-25-23, 09:55 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
I guess that would depend on where you are. I have seen a few around Vancouver. I sold a 1990 last week. I had 35c on it once, but I didn't add fenders. I have a Schwinn Crosscut and Crosspoint. I believe they came stock with 38s, so you could go larger. They are more similar to the Triplecross, and they don't feel the same as the LT at all, since they have different geometries as well as flat bars rather than drops. I had an 85 Sequoia once. Had 35c no fenders on it. Really nice bike. I sold it because it was too big for me. I think I read somewhere here on the forums it was Champion 2 all around except the down tube, which was stiffer. I did want to keep the LT as it was in really good shape, but I wasn't riding it enough, and I don't think I will ever be on tour at all.
very cool. Is champion 2 a version of prestige lineup? And hey let me know if you’re trying to get rid of the crosspoint/crosscut! Haha

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-25-23 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-25-23, 11:20 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Champion 2 is from the same manufacturer of Prestige tubing, Tange. It is lower down the ladder, but not much. Very nice tubing.

I mean no disrespect, but if you're fine with the tubing weight of your '86 Sequoia, then just about any cro-mo frame will be fine. A Tange hi-ten frame comes out to 2700g, or about 200g heavier than your frame (though I have doubts to the veracity of the attached photo below...wouldn't be surprised if there were some fudging going on). A Raleigh Supercourse with straight gauge (i.e. not butted) 531 main frame and hi-ten fork/stays weighs about the same as your Sequoia.

Basically, what I'm saying is shoot for the geometry you want and make sure the frame at least is not made of Hi-ten tubing. Should be good as gold. I rode around on a 1982 Miyata 1200 for years. The main frame was double butted cro-mo, the stays hi-ten. Lovely bike, never felt like I was held back in the slightest.

Old 07-26-23, 04:23 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by tdrich07
That's interesting, thanks, I will definitely have to do some research on that.
Start here:

https://yarchive.net/bike/slicks.html
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-26-23, 05:21 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
I would be open to both I think. I can see the appeal of these ‘gravel drop’ bar conversions Im hearing about, but I guess that would require all new braking setup in some cases
What do you mean? Why would putting drop bars and fat tires on a bike require different braking systems?

My Trek 750 started out life as a hybrid, but now it has drop bars. I can put fatter tires on it and turn it into a gravel bike, with no change in brakes required. Obviously you do need different brake levers, and of course shifters.
Old 07-26-23, 08:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
From what little searching I've done, a higher-end Miyata like a OneThousand would be as rare as hen's teeth here in the midwest. Sounds like an ideal match, but it's the kind of bike that owners just can't be convinced to sell.
Old 07-26-23, 09:06 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
yup I’d agree. A bit pricier from what I’ve seen, and maybe a bit clunky ish
I don’t know what you construe as pricy so that’s possible, but the Cross Check can be as light or as heavy as your budget allows

that’s 8 and change kilos I could probably shave another 500 grams with more carbon.

That on IIRC is about 17 kilograms without the bags

Last edited by Germany_chris; 07-26-23 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 09:08 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
From what little searching I've done, a higher-end Miyata like a OneThousand would be as rare as hen's teeth here in the midwest. Sounds like an ideal match, but it's the kind of bike that owners just can't be convinced to sell.
True, and they, along with the Trek 720, typically sell for a premium. Personally, I like the shorter wheelbase of the Miyata 615/618, anyway. Just picked up a low dollar Miyata 618GT for my partner and can confirm it will fit 38's. 35's with fenders should be doable too.
Old 07-26-23, 09:56 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by OutnBack
Blind Squirrel Kung Fu accepts your challenge!

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-26-23, 09:58 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
What do you mean? Why would putting drop bars and fat tires on a bike require different braking systems?

My Trek 750 started out life as a hybrid, but now it has drop bars. I can put fatter tires on it and turn it into a gravel bike, with no change in brakes required. Obviously you do need different brake levers, and of course shifters.
Yes, that’s what I meant. Different brake levers and I guess shifters. And I’m unsure of how this stuff works, but I thought it was also possible that road style brake levers might have different pull requirements than flat bar ones

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-26-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 10:00 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I don’t know what you construe as pricy so that’s possible, but the Cross Check can be as light or as heavy as your budget allows
That on IIRC is about 17 kilograms without the bags
that’s still nearly 40 lbs after some light weight mods like 1x
Old 07-26-23, 10:09 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Blind Squirrel Kung Fu accepts your challenge!

Very nice bike, need to keep an eye out for this. Can't say I've seen one for sale before.

You seem to be copying my style with the dork disk and mismatching tires

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-26-23 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 10:17 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I would register and keep my eyes open in the FOR SALE area here if I were in your shoes:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/

I found someone else’s custom there and it worked out great for me. Fillet brazed, lightweight steel frame, fits 35’s w/ fenders, internal wiring for lighting and dual pivot brakes.

Last edited by fender1; 07-26-23 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For fender1:
Old 07-26-23, 10:19 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Champion 2 is from the same manufacturer of Prestige tubing, Tange. It is lower down the ladder, but not much. Very nice tubing.

I mean no disrespect, but if you're fine with the tubing weight of your '86 Sequoia, then just about any cro-mo frame will be fine. A Tange hi-ten frame comes out to 2700g, or about 200g heavier than your frame (though I have doubts to the veracity of the attached photo below...wouldn't be surprised if there were some fudging going on). A Raleigh Supercourse with straight gauge (i.e. not butted) 531 main frame and hi-ten fork/stays weighs about the same as your Sequoia.

Basically, what I'm saying is shoot for the geometry you want and make sure the frame at least is not made of Hi-ten tubing. Should be good as gold. I rode around on a 1982 Miyata 1200 for years. The main frame was double butted cro-mo, the stays hi-ten. Lovely bike, never felt like I was held back in the slightest.

Interesting share, thank you. Frame weight is one quantitative thing, but maybe qualitative ride quality is another thing too. And I suppose the champion 2 being the exact tubing that the was Special Series that the sequoia used wasn’t official either but rather it was another poster’s best guess, so who really knows.

I’d be curious to weigh the sequoia because it really feels lighter than 23lbs esp with a less clunky saddle and post. But I can’t really see it being comparable to straight gauge tubing in terms of ride

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-26-23 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 10:29 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Interesting share, thank you. Frame weight is one quantitative thing, but maybe qualitative ride quality is another thing too. And I suppose the champion 2 being the exact tubing that the was Special Series that the sequoia used wasn’t official either but rather it was another poster’s best guess, so who really knows.

I’d be curious to weigh the sequoia because it really feels lighter than 23lbs esp with a different saddle. But I can’t really see it being comparable to straight gauge tubing
I'd believe the magazine review weight over a poster's best guess to what the tubing was, unless that poster was T-Mar. The 531 straight gauge tubing could be relatively thin, 0.8mm all the way through. If the cro-mo your frame is made of has a butting profile of 1.0/0.8, then there's no reason why that Super Course couldn't have a similar weight. Butting just means that, butted. A very heavy frame could have a 1.5mm/1.0mm butting profile and still truthfully wear a 'double butted cro-mo' sticker. Surly like to tout their 'Natch' being double butted, but they're also known for selling relatively heavy steel frames.
Old 07-26-23, 10:43 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
My 1984/85 Specialized Expedition has gravelking 38mm tires with fenders. It's a pretty tight fit with the mudguards, but I haven't had any problems. 40-42mm tires should fit without fenders.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-26-23, 11:04 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Here"s my Koga Miyata Cityliner. Not the best picture, but Its got 38mm Schwalbe Marathons under fenders. The fit was pretty tight. I went ahead and swapped in Schwalbe Little Big Ben's, which are maybe a little wider but not as tall.

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-26-23, 11:10 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
that’s still nearly 40 lbs after some light weight mods like 1x
That bike isn't 1x and there's nothing light on it to include the steel racks
Old 07-26-23, 11:11 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I'd believe the magazine review weight over a poster's best guess to what the tubing was, unless that poster was T-Mar. The 531 straight gauge tubing could be relatively thin, 0.8mm all the way through. If the cro-mo your frame is made of has a butting profile of 1.0/0.8, then there's no reason why that Super Course couldn't have a similar weight. Butting just means that, butted. A very heavy frame could have a 1.5mm/1.0mm butting profile and still truthfully wear a 'double butted cro-mo' sticker. Surly like to tout their 'Natch' being double butted, but they're also known for selling relatively heavy steel frames.
So would I, but I was really only half guessing, and this review also posted by sol is why https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oia-allez.html

Champion 2 + champion 3 down tube sounds like to me. At any rate, really nice bike. I would love to have another one in my size.
Old 07-26-23, 12:42 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
That bike isn't 1x and there's nothing light on it to include the steel racks
you’re right my mistake. Still very nice bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.